D&D 5E Can a Shadow Blade be your Chosen Hex Warrior weapon?

pukunui

Legend
The devs have been very careful with word choice this edition. If they meant "any time between the end of one long rest and the start of your next", they would have said something along those lines. Like it would say "Any time after you've finished a long rest ...". By saying "When you finish" or "at the end of", they're saying that it's supposed to happen right after.

Iry

Hero
"...at the end of a long rest..." does not clearly state that it has to be directly after a successful 8 hours of rest where you get back your long rest renewable abilities.
Here is another answer by Crawford: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/30/can-spellcasters-prepare-spells-not-all-at-once/

Q: Can spellcasters prepare spells not all at once, but leave some "slots" for preparing spells later during the day?

A: You prepare your list of spells only at the end of a long rest.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Here is another answer by Crawford: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/30/can-spellcasters-prepare-spells-not-all-at-once/

Q: Can spellcasters prepare spells not all at once, but leave some "slots" for preparing spells later during the day?

A: You prepare your list of spells only at the end of a long rest.

I don't think you're all getting the distinction. I'm not talking about saving slots. In fact, the entire dispute isn't even over preparing spells at all. We're talking about a warlock after all. The only reason this was brought up was because it was a tangentially related interpretation of the meaning of "After a long rest,". It does not, however, answer my question which is whether or not you can utilise a feature that refreshes after a long rest, some time after the long rest has been finished, or if it needs to be immediately after.

It's a distraction from the argument that doesn't prove one side or another.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Consider Shadow Blade to be a consolation prize for all the non-Hexblade Bladelocks. Or a nice reason to use the Attack option for Bladesingers, and Eldritch Knights. Or a strait up buff for Arcane Tricksters.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I don't think you're all getting the distinction. I'm not talking about saving slots. In fact, the entire dispute isn't even over preparing spells at all. We're talking about a warlock after all. The only reason this was brought up was because it was a tangentially related interpretation of the meaning of "After a long rest,". It does not, however, answer my question which is whether or not you can utilise a feature that refreshes after a long rest, some time after the long rest has been finished, or if it needs to be immediately after.

It doesn't say "after you finish a long rest." It says (per your quote) "Whenever you finish a long rest..." Whenever you read something like that, it means "at the time that you finish a long rest." On account of that's what whenever means :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

It’s actually very relevant because both preparing spells and the Hexblade feature use the same “finish a long rest” wording. Since it has been ruled on by Jeremy Crawford that spells can only be prepared immediately after successful completion of a long rest, and the Hexblade feature in question uses the same wording, it is logical to assume the same ruling applies.

The Hexblade is bound to a patron exemplified by a weapon of power. They may not have that weapon, but they venerate it and the spirits that guide/forged it. So waiting until the last second to choose a weapon of best utility is antithetical to the concept. This is a small ceremony or meditation that happens when the Hexblade starts the day.

Remove ads