D&D 3E/3.5 Can anyone suggest a D&D 3/3.5 'tutorial adventure' to run newbie players through?

magnusmalkus

First Post
Can anyone suggest a D&D 3/3.5 'tutorial adventure' to run new players through? It can be retail or home-brewed, matters not to me.

It shouldn't be hard to prepare one but I'm just looking to save some time and have it done 'right'.

It should be a generic adventure that introduces the mechanics of the game in a simple, progressive (likely, linear) method.

I thought maybe The Sunless Citadel but whereas this adventure is a simple, low-level one incorporating many mechanics, it does not appear to have been written to be the detailed, comprehensive tutorial I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Lilaxe

Explorer
The Sunless Citadel is a good starting module. Monsters to negotiate with, traps, hidden areas, memorable characters, etc

I think it has 3.0 stats but very easy to update.

Edit: doh didn't read the end of your post. I still recall it being newbie friendly though. Maybe I should get it out and read it again

magnusmalkus

First Post
Caves of Shadow was an excellent suggestion. Thank you. Once I run the new players thru that, I'll have them build their own pc's and do Sunless Citadel.

Thanks folks.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Might these books help with a group who do not want much emphasis on actually RPing their characters and such? (That's what I get for accepting my siblings as D&D players while I am DM...)

Sekhmet

First Post
Might these books help with a group who do not want much emphasis on actually RPing their characters and such? (That's what I get for accepting my siblings as D&D players while I am DM...)

I think what makes the Sunless Citadel a great start adventure is the way it introduces a person to roleplaying. It is, by no means, central to the advancement of the dungeon crawl, but it does seep into the adventure in a positive way.

MrFaust

First Post
There are a bunch of 1st level adventures for 3E in the archives over at WotC. I ran a few of them and they are quite noob friendly and fit into any campaign.

Remove ads