• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can gnomes talk to rats?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Klaus said:
The Eberron setting even raises the suspicion that gnomes were mystically evolved from rats (see the Gnomes of Zilargo dragonshards over at WotC's website).

Thanks for making it easier not to get into Eberron

starwed said:
I'm pretty sure kobolds have always been reptilian in nature; certainly the 1e Monster Manual depicts them so.

Hence the name "scaled rat"

Sejs

First Post
A lot of animals that burrow don't have a burrow speed. Burrow speed just means they can dig really, really quickly.

Rats should definitely qualify.

werk

First Post
Sejs said:
A lot of animals that burrow don't have a burrow speed. Burrow speed just means they can dig really, really quickly.

Rats should definitely qualify.

See, I thought exactly the opposite. Only creatures with a burrow speed are 'burrowing animals', everything else just has the ability to dig.

Rabbits live in warrens, which are really just burrows... Ants! Ants basically burrow, right? I can dig a hole...am I a burrowing animal? Hobbits...

Sejs

First Post
werk said:
See, I thought exactly the opposite. Only creatures with a burrow speed are 'burrowing animals', everything else just has the ability to dig.

Rabbits live in warrens, which are really just burrows... Ants! Ants basically burrow, right? I can dig a hole...am I a burrowing animal? Hobbits...

Well it's Speak with Animals, limited to burrowing mammals. Ants are neither animals nor mammals. Hobbits are humanoids. Rabbits? Absolutely fit. They're even mentioned in the language section right above that spell-like ability.

"In addition, a gnome can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below)."

So there you go. ^_^

phindar

First Post
Well, the Wik is not a game book, but this is what it has to say:
Food, habitat and behavior
The brown rat is a true omnivore and will consume almost anything, but with cereals forming a substantial part of the diet. Martin Schein, founder of the Animal Behavior Society in 1964, studied the diet of brown rats and came to the conclusion in his paper "A Preliminary Analysis of Garbage as Food for the Norway Rat" that the most-liked food of brown rats was (in order) scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, and cooked corn kernels. Their least-liked food was raw beets, peaches, and raw celery. They are usually active at night and are good swimmers, both on the surface and underwater, but (unlike the related Black rat Rattus rattus) are poor climbers. They dig well, and often excavate extensive burrow systems.
I included the bit about them liking Macaroni and Cheese because it seemed interesting to me. It should also give the players of gnomes a good guideline of what to bribe their rat stoolies with (scrambled eggs good, raw beets bad).

werk

First Post
Sejs said:
Well it's Speak with Animals, limited to burrowing mammals. Ants are neither animals nor mammals. Hobbits are humanoids. Rabbits? Absolutely fit. They're even mentioned in the language section right above that spell-like ability.

"In addition, a gnome can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below)."

So there you go. ^_^

Can you tell how many gnomes I play/run? :eek:

Thanks for the quote!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Rabbits, badgers, rats, ground squirrels, mice, etc. all apply. Any little animal that normally lives in a self-made hole in the ground would work.

A "burrow speed" requirement is silly. Several of the critters mentioned in the ability description lack a burrow speed. How ever do these creatures, which live in burrows, cause their homes to be made? Must be sorcery!

I mean, seriously--use your head. :)

-z

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Does anyone have a WOTC source with stats for a rabbit or a fox? If either does not have a listed burrow speed, that will answer your question. If both do, then that too will answer your question.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Trench said:
I'm leaning toward yes, but also not sure if it could be TOO powerful. Rats are pretty prevalent and could be extremely useful spies.

Too powerful? Will every powergamer abandon dwarves and start playing gnomes?

I doubt it. Even if they gave gnomes speak with animals (no restriction) at will or as a continuous effect, they wouldn't be overpowered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads