Can you do a "diamond" shaped blast?

jaycrockett

Explorer
If you did want to allow cone-shaped blasts, they should encompass the same number of squares as a standard blast, in this case, 9. So you would just need to chop the taper off that cone diagram.

Personally I'd leave it alone because a square shaped blast is alot faster to adudicate than a cone, and a cone is probably just as likely to hit party members as a square. If you allow both then the player will be switching back and forth, trying to get the optimal coverage, and really bogging down play. With the square, you can tell at a glace if it will work without movement. In your example, it's clear that the dragonborn isn't on the front line so his blast isn't going to work.

LEHaskell

First Post
It occurs to me that you could truncate your diamond blast at the third row. This would: 1) preserve the 9-square area; 2) hit the areas you want; 3) simulate the cone shape people have been missing from breath weapons.

In fact, you could easily house rule that characters could choose to shape their blasts such that: blast n be either an n x n square (as currently ruled) or as a "stepped pyramid" of n levels.

....x....
...xxx...
..xxxxx..

For any blast n <6 this will have area n-squared, just like the square shape. And is still a reasonable approximation for 6 or 7.

Hmmm, as I think about it, this might be a good feat, too -- the ability to shape the blast as either of those shapes. Dragonborn Improved Breath Control...

edited to properly define limits of analysis

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Nobody has actually posted a rules quote that prevents this (so far).

So according to RAW, yes this is legal.

The number of squares is irrelevant. The shape merely has to be 3 squares on a side (which it is) and next to the caster (which it is).

Firecubes strike again!!! :D

Insignia

First Post
KarinsDad said:

Unless you interpret "a 3-square-by-3-square area" as an area which is 3*3 squares.

A 3 square by 3 square area is 9 squares. The second shape shown in the attached file above is more then the 3 square by 3 square areas shown in the PHB as the amount of area covered. This is just a misunderstanding of how the blast area works.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
KarinsDad said:

The number of squares is irrelevant. The shape merely has to be 3 squares on a side (which it is) and next to the caster (which it is).
Firecubes strike again!!! :D

:)

Pretty funny, but I think the diagram on page 272 shows exactly what happens when you shoot a blast 3 diagonally. It looks like a 3x3 box. It doesn't look like the diagram in that PDF.

Also, the rules specify (as you pointed out) 3 squares on a side. The area filled in that diagram does not have *any* sides; or rather, it's a collection of squares forming an area with a bunch of sides, each side 1 square.

Fails on (at least) two levels.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:
:)

Pretty funny, but I think the diagram on page 272 shows exactly what happens when you shoot a blast 3 diagonally. It looks like a 3x3 box. It doesn't look like the diagram in that PDF.

Also, the rules specify (as you pointed out) 3 squares on a side. The area filled in that diagram does not have *any* sides; or rather, it's a collection of squares forming an area with a bunch of sides, each side 1 square.

Fails on (at least) two levels.

This is 3 squares on a side, the squares just happen to be turned 45 degrees.

The attached diagram is (literally) also 3 squares by 3 squares.

Still waiting for a rules quote folks.

Note: I know how WotC customer service will answer this and I understand the intent, but so far, nobody has posted actual rules to deny it. It's all been opinion and narrow interpretation.

Jhaelen

First Post
KarinsDad said:
This is 3 squares on a side, the squares just happen to be turned 45 degrees.
Squares cannot be turned 45 degrees - they wouldn't be Squares anymore (notice the difference between squares and Squares).

In other words:
Trying to do this will create a temporary local dimensional disturbance which will suck the blaster into the far realms ;)

Remove ads