D&D 5E Can You Milk A Conjured Cow?

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
This question came up this week. My general ruling was "yes, by rules, the conjured cow can be milked. Milking isn't a hostile action, doesn't break concentration, and won't drop it to 0hp.

Now, the cow is, by rules, a fey creature in that it is a fey spirit that has taken the form of a beast (a cow). So that is another consideration. Also, it isn't food/drink that is being offered. It is being taken without invitation.

A) Do you think that a conjured cow could be milked?
B) If so, what would the effect of consuming fey food (in this case, milk) while in the Material Plane?

Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse...
Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that's bad.
Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: [worried] That's bad.
Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The toppings contains Potassium Benzoate.
[Homer stares, confused]
Owner: That's bad.
Can I go now?

While I hadn't considered that conjuring an animal could or would be influenced by common farming practices...

I just assumed that it conjures an animal as it would be in nature.

This is really up to the DM. More and more, I like the idea of a fairy cow giving you magical milk....that isn't really milk.

Side note:
There are probably stats for a 'bull'. They can be a bit more dangerous than a cow. I might give them warhorse stats, change the charge to a gore attack and reduce their speed. So they'd be a separate 'summoning' for the purposes of a spell, I think.

Edited stuff.

A cow is a domesticated animal. I don't think a druid should be able to summon one in the first place. :)

For most species this would be the case. For better or worse, there haven't been cows in nature for a few hundred years. And even if the wild ones were around, it's questionable if they would be considered the same species. I guess another question for the DM is "how specific can you be with the breed?"
So, out of curiosity, I googled the amount of time a water Buffalo lactates in its life to get an idea of how often a ‘wild’ cow would lactate. With a super quick search (because everything on the internet is true), I found this:
The average lactation length ranged from 252 to 270 days. As a result of these factors the productive life of a dairy buffalo is only 39% of its total life, compared to a stunning 52% in developed modern dairy cattle breeds (Ganguli, 1981; Sastry et al., 1988)
So a modern dairy cow is only lactating for half its life. Pretty good odds but not guaranteed.

The more important factor goes back to a previous comment: this is exactly the ‘real life’ knowledge that really isn’t necessary in a game. :p

Remove ads