Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?

the Jester

Legend
Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, published in 2010 by Rite Publishing, uses the Diceless system but in a setting removed from Zelazny's Amber.
I hadn't heard of that, thanks!

I loooove Amber, but it took so much work to run right that I had to give up on it eventually. But that wasn't a system issue, it was an issue with having dozens of powerful npcs with universe-changing powers all pursuing their own agendas simultaneously.

I loooove Amber, but it took so much work to run right that I had to give up on it eventually. But that wasn't a system issue, it was an issue with having dozens of powerful npcs with universe-changing powers all pursuing their own agendas simultaneously.
Thr Amber system relies just too much on GM Fiat. I've run a good Throne War one-shot, and a satisfying short campaign as well, but it's a lot to throw onto a GM's shoulders.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Explicitly fantasy systems that I'd recommend:
The One Ring
Forbidden Lands
Runequest
Mythras
Pendragon/Paladin
Barbarians of Lemuria
Conan
The Dark Eye
Ironsworn
The Witcher
Blades in the Dark
Worlds Without Number

Generic systems that have fantasy supplements or at least good fantasy options:
Fate
Gurps
Savage Worlds
Questworlds
Genesys

I don't necessarily like all of the systems involved but your tastes are probably different from mine and all of them have people who are passionate about them. No D&D or related systems were harmed in the making of this list.

GuyBoy

Hero
Warhammer FRP
Runequest
Chivalry & Sorcery; pretty complex but pretty strong reflection of medieval Europe.
Bifrost; out of print and tough to find, but good.
84815BCE-859A-41FE-A271-372DAEA05282.jpeg

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever

FYI: Lords of Gossamer and Shadow also has powerful NPC's. It expands on many of the Amber game's rules/powers, too.

Remove ads