D&D 5E Can you use dueling and TWF at the same time? I think you can RAW.

Dausuul

Legend
If you make a melee attack with it it does. If you throw it, it does not.
No--it has to be a melee weapon. It doesn't have to be a melee attack with that weapon.

It's silly that "attack with a melee weapon" and "melee weapon attack" are two different things, but that's how 5E is.

Hmmm ... so you could surprise an enemy and still not get the extra 2d6?

That does nerf it quite a bit, and makes getting initiative bonuses even more important.

Luckily the DM I plan to play this build with rolls individual initiative for enemies. This means I might have to take an AOO in the first turn, but in larger fights there will almost always be someone lower than me in initiative.
Yep. Grab alert.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You can, if you have two attacks. But you can't get the +2 damage from duelling because you do not have a free hand/shield.

You could get the +2 damage from Thrown Weapon Fighting style though.
Lol, I edited this post as fast as I made it, but I guess you saw it. It wasn't really relevant to what the OP was trying to do.

Ok, so, how about this. Take an attack action with the main hand weapon, drop it (or throw it if you have the attack available), then, since you satisfied the conditions for Two Weapon Fighting (by taking the attack action), then bonus action to attack with the off hand?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
But you took the attack action with both weapons equipped. That would satisfy the requirement for the bonus action.

Reynard

Legend
There are two conditions: have two weapons equipped + take an attack action with one of them. Since you don't have two weapons equipped, no bonus action for you.

But you took the attack action with both weapons equipped. That would satisfy the requirement for the bonus action.

Now THIS is where the rules lawyering comes in. What is the definition of "is" and such like.

Remove ads