D&D 5E Can you use dueling and TWF at the same time? I think you can RAW.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Ok hold on, let me just copy the relevant text and maybe you can see what I'm seeing.

All bonus action says is: you can take a bonus action only when...states you can do something.

Two weapon fighting says: when you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon you are holding in one hand (requirement), you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon you are holding in the other hand.

The only requirement for the bonus action attack is attacking with one weapon using the Attack action, and that the weapon must be held in the other hand. It doesn't magically take away the bonus action just because you lose the weapon after you are granted the ability to take it.

Attachments

• 2wf.gif
    2wf.gif
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
  • bonusact.gif
    bonusact.gif
    77.2 KB · Views: 48

I would disallow. You can't use a bonus action you no longer qualify for. If you used your bonus action to throw a weapon you would no longer have two weapons and therefore would not qualify for a bonus action. Ergo you would have to use your attack action to throw the weapon and would get no bonus action attack. If you had two attacks you could throw a weapon and then make a duelling attack, but you would still not qualify for a bonus action attack.

Remember bonus actions do not exist independently. You only have a bonus action if you meet the requirements.
This seems is mistaken since the rules for fighting with two weapons explicitly allow you to throw either weapon.

Last edited:

Ok hold on, let me just copy the relevant text and maybe you can see what I'm seeing.

All bonus action says is: you can take a bonus action only when...states you can do something.

Two weapon fighting says: when you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon you are holding in one hand (requirement), you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon you are holding in the other hand.

The only requirement for the bonus action attack is attacking with one weapon using the Attack action, and that the weapon must be held in the other hand. It doesn't magically take away the bonus action just because you lose the weapon after you are granted the ability to take it.
You do realise what you just said makes no sense? If you are only holding one weapon you are not holding a weapon in the other hand. ergo you do not qualify for a bonus action.

James Gasik

Supporter
You do realise what you just said makes no sense? If you are only holding one weapon you are not holding a weapon in the other hand. ergo you do not qualify for a bonus action.
Look, the requirement to take the bonus action is merely that you have a light melee weapon in one hand. The bonus action itself, once granted, is merely to attack with a weapon held in the other hand. And as the quoted section points out, and Composer99 just pointed out, you are allowed to throw weapons with the thrown property instead of making a melee attack.

Nothing takes away the bonus action once granted. So if I throw a weapon in one hand by taking the Attack action, I still can throw a different weapon in my off hand with the bonus action.

Oofta

Legend
Lol, I edited this post as fast as I made it, but I guess you saw it. It wasn't really relevant to what the OP was trying to do.

Ok, so, how about this. Take an attack action with the main hand weapon, drop it (or throw it if you have the attack available), then, since you satisfied the conditions for Two Weapon Fighting (by taking the attack action), then bonus action to attack with the off hand?
At the point you take the attack action, you have two weapons equipped or you don't. A PC doesn't get multiple attack actions, they may may get multiple attacks using their attack action. The OP is conflating an attack with the attack action.

So you have two options:
  1. You take the attack action with two weapons equipped. Because of this, you get a bonus attack.
  2. You take the attack action with one weapon equipped. You get the +2 bonus from dueling.
The only way to get around this would be to use an action surge to get a bonus attack action. Which makes it even more pointless.

James Gasik

Supporter
At the point you take the attack action, you have two weapons equipped or you don't. A PC doesn't get multiple attack actions, they may may get multiple attacks using their attack action. The OP is conflating an attack with the attack action.

So you have two options:
  1. You take the attack action with two weapons equipped. Because of this, you get a bonus attack.
  2. You take the attack action with one weapon equipped. You get the +2 bonus from dueling.
The only way to get around this would be to use an action surge to get a bonus attack action. Which makes it even more pointless.
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.

I don't see any requirement to have taken the attack action here, just, I attacked with one weapon currently equipped.

James Gasik

Supporter
No, the requirement is you have light melee weapon in BOTH hands.

If you are only holding one weapon you do not have a weapon in the other hand. You cannot attack with a weapon you are not holding.
How do you reconcile that with the last sentence of the Two Weapon Fighting section, which allows you to throw either weapon?

Remove ads