D&D 5E Can you use misty step to arrest a fall?

And yet nothing I said there was wrong. ;)

"So is every teleport spell, fireball, firebolt, and so on." - Barring some other specific rule changing things, these can only be cast on your turn.

"The purpose of Ready is to interrupt the other person's turn and then cast a spell out of turn as an exception to the rules." - This is true. The purpose of Ready is to provide a specific rule to allow the casting a spell(or other action) out of turn.

"I'd allow Misty Step, since it seems silly not to." - This is also true.

"I just don't see a good reason why it shouldn't be able to be readied." - And another truth.

Do you have a good reason other than what it says about casting times? Because that doesn't seem like a good reason to deny a spell to me.

Yes, we are all speaking the truth 100% if the time if we own those truths.

Of course, depends if you are talking in the context of RAW or not.

Please explain how, by RAW, you can't cast teleport, fireball, or firebolt as readied actions.

Do you have a good reason other than what it says about casting times? Because that doesn't seem like a good reason to deny a spell to me.

Do I need another reason? The thead is getting long here, but I thought you were the biggest voice pushing for a Rule As Written interpretation. What I'm talking about is strictly following the RAW.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do I need another reason? The thead is getting long here, but I thought you were the biggest voice pushing for a Rule As Written interpretation. What I'm talking about is strictly following the RAW.
Yep. Misty Step doesn't work by RAW.

How it would go down in my game.

1. Ready the spell, since I'd allow it.
2. Jump off the cliff.
3. Make a quick Intelligence(perception) check to see how accurate you are. I mean, you aren't jumping next to large ruler, so it's going to be very hard to get 20 feet exactly right while you are plummeting to the ground. If you get the spell off too late, no harm no foul. You'll still be less than 30 feet from the ground and land safely. If you cast it too early, you will appear above the ground and fall, perhaps taking some falling damage. Even though by RAW, Misty Step does not stop falling and 2d6 would be reasonable, I would rule that it does stop falling(not because of the conservation of energy arguments), because it just seems more fun for that to be the result and I wouldn't want to hamper a good idea.

Why would I explain something I never claimed?

You said: ""So is every teleport spell, fireball, firebolt, and so on." - Barring some other specific rule changing things, these can only be cast on your turn."

What, exactly are you saying here, then? If they can only be cast on your turn, they can't be cast as a readied action on someone else's turn. Right?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You said: ""So is every teleport spell, fireball, firebolt, and so on." - Barring some other specific rule changing things, these can only be cast on your turn."
Are you denying that the Ready is a specific rule that changes the general rule for those spells from "Castable only on my turn" into "Castable as a reaction on someone else's turn?"

Are you denying that the Ready is a specific rule that changes the general rule for those spells from "Castable only on my turn" into "Castable as a reaction on someone else's turn?"
Never denied anything. Will you directly answer my question?

"Please explain how, by RAW, you can't cast teleport, fireball, or firebolt as readied actions."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Never denied anything. Will you directly answer my question?

"Please explain how, by RAW, you can't cast teleport, fireball, or firebolt as readied actions."
I just did. It's crystal clear that, "So is every teleport spell, fireball, firebolt, and so on." in response to, "Bonus actions are only available on your turn." is saying that all spells that are not more than one round or reactions are only available on your turn. Which is true. A fireball is not available when it's not your turn unless you engage some other rule, like Ready, in order to specifically override the general casting rules.

I just did. It's crystal clear that, "So is every teleport spell, fireball, firebolt, and so on." in response to, "Bonus actions are only available on your turn." is saying that all spells that are not more than one round or reactions are only available on your turn. Which is true. A fireball is not available when it's not your turn unless you engage some other rule, like Ready, in order to specifically override the general casting rules.
Ah - then I misinterpreted what you are saying. No, not crystal clear, but thank you for clarifying all the same.

Carry on.

ECMO3

Hero
Yep. Misty Step doesn't work by RAW.

How it would go down in my game.

1. Ready the spell, since I'd allow it.
2. Jump off the cliff.
3. Make a quick Intelligence(perception) check to see how accurate you are. I mean, you aren't jumping next to large ruler, so it's going to be very hard to get 20 feet exactly right while you are plummeting to the ground. If you get the spell off too late, no harm no foul. You'll still be less than 30 feet from the ground and land safely. If you cast it too early, you will appear above the ground and fall, perhaps taking some falling damage. Even though by RAW, Misty Step does not stop falling and 2d6 would be reasonable, I would rule that it does stop falling(not because of the conservation of energy arguments), because it just seems more fun for that to be the result and I wouldn't want to hamper a good idea.
Jump is movement, not an action. You jump off a cliff and can still use an action and a bonus action ON YOUR TURN.

So jump off then cliff then shoot your bow as an action on the way down (twice if you have extra attack), followed by misty step as a bonus action. Totally RAW and not using a reaction at all. You still have your reaction for shield or uncanny dodge or maybe feather fall when your ally jumps down on his turn or anything else you can normally do as a reaction.

I would argue that you never appear above the ground, unless you want to, because you appear in a spot you see and that strongly implies a spot of your choosing. Misty step has no rules for estimating distances incorrectly and appearing somewhere other than where you desire.

Now if you ready an action and jump off the cliff using your reaction (readied movement) on another players turn then RAW you are going to go splat at the bottom.

Last edited:

Remove ads