• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E cancelled 5e announcement at Gencon??? Anyone know anything about this?

BryonD

Hero
It isn't like that at all.
It is exactly like that.

Its more like:

1. I don't see pleasing people who have already jumped ship on D&D being possible at this point without losing the existing 4E crowd.

2. Trying to please everyone usually ends up with a watered down game that does nothing well and pleases no one.
There are just as reasonable points of view on both sides.

That doesn't change the reality that stones are being thrown by people in living in glass houses.

And, again, I thank you all for the fun.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
And a face tattoo.
Sorry, that one is the climax of 4e Dark Sun.

The endings of each 4e setting for the advent of the coming of 8e (7e was cancelled because of the spoilers) is nearly identical, to unify all the settings into one MEGA-SETTING!! for 9e (sorry, 8e was just cancelled as well).

The Auld Grump, no, wait, 7e is back on the schedule....

GreyLord

Legend
Sorry, that one is the climax of 4e Dark Sun.

The endings of each 4e setting for the advent of the coming of 8e (7e was cancelled because of the spoilers) is nearly identical, to unify all the settings into one MEGA-SETTING!! for 9e (sorry, 8e was just cancelled as well).

The Auld Grump, no, wait, 7e is back on the schedule....

I thought that already happened with Spelljammer?

:devil:

Then

First Post
The way I put it, was in context of this thread discussions, along with the most plausible probabilities of what we think it is going on.

I take it that you mean it in a more general context, aka the news of a new edition would totally eclipse everything else.
And by your take, it means that what you consider most probable is an imminent announcement of 5e.
wha?

No I don't think there was ever any planned announcement of 5e. Either the "source" or Morrus is blowing smoke.

Alienating a group of customers, even if it's small, is kind of a red flag to me, unless they really deserve it. A small segment of people that ended up liking some of the stuff released for the game? They don't really deserve ridicule, in my opinion.
There are a lot of stupid things in D&D and if you are going to get upset when even the developers admit it then they have a really thin skin. Even I have a hard time not cracking up at some of the idiotic things that have distilled down from previous editions in 4E.
It probably would've been harmless from an anonymous poster on a D&D message board or even in behind closed doors at the designer meetings. But the people in control of D&D have, I think, a responsibility to acknowledge that what they don't use -- indeed, what a majority of players don't use -- someone, somewhere, probably does.

They should figure out why and how those people use what they do, and what they like about it, and what they don't.

Because, lets face it, D&D players in general do something that they regard as lots of fun that the majority of people don't. Sitting in a room for 4 hours on a sunny weekend afternoon with 4-5 other adults and pretending to be magical gumdrop elves is not any nation's national passtime, and it never will be. D&D designers understand pretty well what makes that fun. They should be able to understand what makes The Plane of Vacuum fun, too. And once they understand that, they can highlight that, expand it, make it better, draw it larger, and get more people interested in it.

They also shouldn't be astonished at people taking hyperbole seriously. If I were to say "4E IS A VIDEOGAME!," you could watch and see the offended people coming out of the woodwork, as if that phrase magically brought them into existence. And I'm just some dude on a semi-obscure D&D message board. I have no power, and no one should care what I think.

I don't exactly blame them for not wasting space detailing the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum, or the guardinals, or Bytopia. It's certainly not a priority. It is, however, important for you, if you are in charge of D&D, to know how and why D&D players have enjoyed these things in the past, so that you can continue to help them enjoy them going forward, and maybe even bring them to a bigger audience.
Since when is making fun of something that almost seems like it was a joke to start with hyperbole?

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
There are a lot of stupid things in D&D and if you are going to get upset when even the developers admit it then they have a really thin skin. Even I have a hard time not cracking up at some of the idiotic things that have distilled down from previous editions in 4E.

I agree that there are some stupid things in D&D.

Here's the thing, though: I'm a customer. I can voice what I think is stupid. That should give the company some direction. The developers of the hobby, though, should be diplomatic during transition periods, not saying something is stupid. They don't have the freedom of voicing their preferences without people feeling alienated from the entire brand, whereas you and I do.

The developers should have been more diplomatic. Saying something is stupid when a sect of your players uses it is not diplomatic. That alienates me, as it shows a lack of respect for those they don't agree with. And in a relatively small hobby business, saying "what you like is stupid" is not what I want to hear from the guys with creative control over a game I might play. There's a world of difference between me or you saying it, and the guys in charge of change saying it.

Bottom line, no matter what edition is on the line, they should be aware of that. Like I said, I don't play 3.X or 4e, but when 5e comes out, they should be diplomatic about change there, too. Otherwise, it'll alienate a sect of the playerbase again. You can see that by my post and the seven-ish experience comments on it (not to mention the poster who originally brought up the example I responded to).

Developers need to act like we have thin skin, because as a hobby company, they should be in this for the love of the hobby. Saying, "your idea of fun is stupid" isn't going to heal a community, and that looks like Mearl's goal right now. As always, play what you like :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads