Caster feats

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm sure my players aren't alone in observing there really aren't many feats that spellcaster really and truly desire.

What ideas for such feats based on previous edition efforts do you think are suitable for 5E? New ideas based on rules introduced in this edition?

As always a feat should not be unbalancingly good. It should not be perceived as a "feat tax". It should be something valuable and useful, yet something only a subset of casters will want to take.

Z

PS: I'm not complaining. Please do not reply "you're wrong there are plenty of caster feats", this is a thread about what vectors of caster capacity and flexibility that would be good for 5E feats. Thank you.

Last edited:

I think a feat that adds 4 spells known and +1 to the casting stat would be a good start. Maybe add your proficiency bonus to spells known, or your casting stat to spells known that it is not too powerful at level 1.

SouthpawSoldier

First Post
I'd like to see feats for magic item construction/crafting and enchanting.
Stuff along the lines of making scroll and potion crafting easier, enabling permanent or semi-permanent enchanting of arms and armor, things of that nature.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I think the basic problem is that caster feats only have two real options: know more spells or make the spells you know better. To make them well, you need to make those bonuses situational.

Something like +1 to spell attacks rolls when not at full hit points, or can regain prof bonus in spell levels every 24 hours even if no long rest is completed, or the old spell mastery feat where spell X is always memorized for free.

I would also like to see a lingering concentration ability where the spell lasts for one round after concentration is lost.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the basic problem is that caster feats only have two real options: know more spells or make the spells you know better.
I'm thinking we have several editions worth of design attempts to draw on.

Let me rephrase my question:

Which previous-edition caster feats did y'all think worked well? Do you think they could be reworked to fit 5E?

By well I mean not so good they became a feat tax, but still generally liked. If we were to discuss charop grades, we're aiming for average to good; not red, not blue.

feartheminotaur

First Post
To avoid the feat tax, you'd have to avoid any feat that adds spells known or increases the DC of spell effects. Both would be auto-picks since there is no way to do either (once your casting stat is maxed).

The one feat that would be nice would be: Change energy type (acidball!) - by which I mean, you can change one type to one other type, taken more than once. An any energy to any energy would fall under "must take".

Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
Let me first make the argument for why these aren't needed. Casters in a point-buy game almost never consider anything other than a stat gain until 12th level unless they are human. And by 12th level, casters are, IME, already on the overpowered side. So not needed.

And... combat caster is really quite good. Spell sniper can be good, though mostly for Warlocks. Lucky is great for everyone.

All that said, I think there is a niche missing, the +1 stat caster feat so that those with a +2 bonus (and thus potentially a 17 stat in point buy) get some millage out of it.

Practiced caster:
+1 to Int or Wis or Chr. Gain an extra 1st level spell slot (regain with long rest). Can make a target reroll a save against a spell you cast once per long rest.

Focused caster:
+1 to Int or Wis or Chr. Pick a spell from your spell list that does damage to a target. You may freely change the the damage type three times per long rest, each time to any standard damage type you wish. Also, gain a +2 bonus to saving throws to maintain your concentration.

Flexible caster
+1 to Int or Wis or Chr. Each morning you may pick one spell from your classes spell list that is of a level you have a spell slot. Add it to your spells known for the day. (This is huge for classes that pick there spells and only change when they level up. It's also huge for multi-class casters to enable them to get to a high-level spell they might not be able to otherwise case. Might be a "must have" for some characters?)

My 2 cents.

Divided Mind
AKA The Kvothe Feat
Allows the caster to split his/her mind such that they can maintain two concentration spells at the same time for a number of rounds equal to their caster level in that spell.
This is mentally taxing so the caster suffers Disadvantage on concentration checks when taking damage. On a fail, the higher level spell is lost first. If both spells are the same level, the concentration is lost on the first spell cast.
This ability can be used 3 times per long rest.

Last edited:

MostlyDm

Explorer
Divided Mind
AKA The Kvothe Feat
Allows the caster to split his/her mind such that they can maintain two concentration spells at the same time for a number of rounds equal to their caster level in that spell.
This is mentally taxing so the caster suffers Disadvantage on concentration checks when taking damage. On a fail, the higher level spell is lost first. If both spells are the same level, the concentration is lost on the first spell cast.
This ability can be used 3 times per long rest.

I like this idea but I think there are too many fiddly parts to it. Also "caster level" is not a 5e term, so I'd avoid it.

Quick idea for a modified version: instead of caster level duration, it forces you to pick a spell each round and make a save to maintain concentration on it.

If you take damage, roll one time with disadvantage and lose both spells if you fail.

Remove ads