• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster Level Check

buchw001

First Post
One of my Pc's has become very interested in creating and usig scrolls. As a responsible DM I read up on the process of both creating and activating them. While doing so, I read the following passage from the DMG (page 202) that discusses a character using a scroll that is scribed at a higher level than the PC

"...she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level +1) to cast the spell sucessfully.

The DC is completely understandable, but what exactly is a "caster level check".

I assume it is a d20 roll + "something", but what?

Thanks in advance.

rhammer2

First Post
Caster level check is the character's caster level + d20 roll.

buchw001 said:
One of my Pc's has become very interested in creating and usig scrolls. As a responsible DM I read up on the process of both creating and activating them. While doing so, I read the following passage from the DMG (page 202) that discusses a character using a scroll that is scribed at a higher level than the PC

"...she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level +1) to cast the spell sucessfully.

The DC is completely understandable, but what exactly is a "caster level check".

I assume it is a d20 roll + "something", but what?

Thanks in advance.

buchw001

First Post
Thank you.

That is what I thought, but I couldn't find it in the books.

Do you have a reference for that?

I am a new DM and I really like to know as many rules as possible and have backup when my players ask any questions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads