• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

A problem they are less likely to address since their market research show that very few people play above level 10. Unfortunately the answer to LFQW in 3.5 was to nerf spellcasters heavily, especially in the utility department instead of empowering martials. And I don't see them going in the reverse direction.

It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation in players' character class selections and player attrition. I suspect there is a greater correlation with like, life happening, but it would be interesting.

How often does the default setting involve cover identities at all?

Clearly this concept was built for more interesting worlds than the default 'The Mud Ages but also Magic' setting.
Agreed. It's a good thing there is lots of guidance for the substance of these settings.

Especially since they must be sufficiently exotic that a combination of a deception check and a forgery check are insufficient to duplicate this ability.

HammerMan

Legend
...And the stereotypical setting is pseudo-medieval with inefficient means of communication and data storage.

How often are characters being asked to provide proof of their identity..just generally?

I can't think of a single time across multiple campaigns with differing DMs.
yup... I remember it mattered once in a 3.5 ebberon game... once.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
yup... I remember it mattered once in a 3.5 ebberon game... once.
I've "checked" IDs a couple times in eberron games but I'm pretty certain that all of those were excuses to give an NPC quest giving leverage to fix the "problem" with their papers if they did a job for him. I've also had NPCs do things like push through some paperwork that gives players the right to buy restricted magic items but don't think I've ever used the lack of such paperwork as anything other than a flavorful variant of "lol.. I'm not selling this guy that.. Yea bob you can't find any +5 holy avengers at any price"

Asisreo

Patron Badass
and when you watch an assassins' or thief or grifter make a fake id in a movie or book it take minutes not days...
It isn't a fake ID like a card.

This is a new identity. Meaning that you could change your identity to be several ranks above the guards that won't let anyone in.

You could become the king's new royal advisor, seated right beside him to the throne. Or you could be a high-ranking lieutenant in the BBEG's office. The player gets to decide.

But just like a spell, the DM determines the consequences.

So it takes 7 days because it actually can be adventure-changing and can change whole plot points.

even that (and even now when most games are online) that would only get the ones that are.
Agreed. I don't think you'd get anything conclusive even assuming it's possible. But a man can dream.

Mostly I just think it'd be funny if the whole narrative of "no one plays past 10" is indicative of the quality of the content past 10 rather than the attributes of the audience.

I doubt that's the case, since I'm inclined to believe that the social aspects of the game are generally more important than the mechanical. But I would have a good chuckle if there were evidence otherwise.

Remove ads