D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Most of my o5e games lasted well into low to mid teens before I quit with covid. Based on that I can speak with more than mere suspicion on the post ten troubles. O5e was designed for no feats and no magic items & the combined weight of those compounding with player abilities causes the system melt down as bounded accuracy turns into an accelerant for fighter multi attack, Rogue sneak attack, scorlock agonizing eldritch blast to further that melt down. Magic spells generally have little impact once the gm reads them at casting time due to nearly all of them being loaded with so many failsafes alongside the comparatively overused elemental resists & magic resistance. Due to simplicity at all costs & excessive trivial recovery almost entirely left to players the gm has few effective tools at their disposal to massage trouble areas into less problematic forms.

Last edited:

I agree. There are many factors. However I think the lack of inspiration in the post 10th level player sphere combined with complexity increases ensures that the "paragon" tier of play is often the farther people can go.

I didn't say there isn't examples of high level warriors in the media

I said there aren't many examples of highl level warriors in inspiratioal media for traditional D&D.

Aragorn is in the early mid teens of levels and even that is a stretch. Same with or lower level for many of the other inspirations for classes.
I think perhaps I'm just not fully entrenched in the "traditional" inspirational media. The game has been around almost 50 years. It seems odd to ignore hundreds (at least) of years of potential inspiration.

D&D just doesn't strike me as having that small of a tent. Could just be my perception though.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think perhaps I'm just not fully entrenched in the "traditional" inspirational media. The game has been around almost 50 years. It seems odd to ignore hundreds (at least) of years of potential inspiration.

D&D just doesn't strike me as having that small of a tent. Could just be my perception though.

The point is that D&D martial classes are designed as if many examples of superheroic martial characters don't exist. To the point where high level D&D martials look, feel, and play different from most nonspellcasting superheroes in most media

Christmas Tree Warriors exist almost exclusively in D&D and D&D inspired media.

"Hold on, let me check the records..." "There's nothing here saying you have access to this room. Now, move along."

The same reason why making a fake ID and lying won't get you into the Royal Guards. There's actual documentation that says "Hey, this guy in a trench coat actually isn't a part of our elite squad. We shouldn't just believe him."

But if you're just allowed to lie yourself into the throne room as an opposing nation's king's advisor because you talk good, then I can see why that would be a useless feature.

Just like if anyone could use a disguise kit and make disguise self useless since "Well, clearly I should be able to make a costume that makes me completely different with no issues."
"It was lost in transit"
"This other guy is sending it. It'll be here soon"
"[Name Drop someone] said I didn't need it"
"Here you go! [Hand over forged documents]"

All seem like potentially relevant responses, and on a rogue platform, there can be some significantly big skill check bonuses to make it work.

But even assuming that's not an option, there are enough limitations on the ability, that I don't think you could actually guarantee success on the actions you are describing. E.g. if these are hand-selected advisors/lieutenants, unless you're coming in as the new guy, the plan doesn't really work. I'd be inclined to let it, but I can see others who would not. (Note too an interesting corollary of limiting the ability to assasins. It means that all such false documentation is produced by professional murderers. I suspect the penalty for being found in possession of these docs would be..severe)

And then the last part. Yeah, disguise self and proficiency/expertise in a disguise kit should allow you to achieve similar results. The spell just requires fewer sacrifices to get and is much much faster to use. Tbh, not really sure the differences are actually necessary.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
the short answer is yes,yes,yes...
longer answer:
Should a martial be able to fly ? this is the hardest to justify but it is a pretty common trope for modern brick characters to do, so it would take some work.
Exactly. And that work is about designing / defining a concept that makes sense for it. Having The Mountain be able to fly doesn't fit to me unless there's more to it.
Having said that, the Jump spell tripples your jump ability... if you gave an option for ANY character to take a similar ability at level 3+ as 1/short rest or prof/day it breaks nothing...
Yep, this sounds great to me.
Should a martial be able to create earthquakes ? Yes, strong characters taking a "stomp" or "punch ground" and cause earthquakes... it should be high level but possible.
Agreed but as you say that fits for a large and /or strong char type. Having this available to say a swashbuckler doesn't really make sense to me.
Should a martial be able to power word kill ? No, i don't want them wispering a word and someone die, but a '1/day target 1 creature in weapon range and if they have 100hp or less they die' death blow sounds like a great option for 17+ level fighters.
I love this. That makes perfect sense to me.
How would I know how to make an assessment of those things ? simple... "if one character can do it and the game runs fine, figure out if there is any way you can bend or tweak it to make it work for anyone... or atleast something similar...
Of course. But just cos one character can do it doesn't mean every char should be able to too.
if they want to... yes. I could totally see a barbarian level 5 ability that matches or is similar to call lightning.
For the right concept, yes, but not for say a bear totem barbarian
a barbarian getting a wildshape like power that turns them into a 'war form' instead of rage sounds like a GREAT idea. Maybe even mix and match (X level barbarian has Y rages, but can swap up to Y for these war forms) dragon, werewolf, t rex are all great war forms
I love this too. This sounds like a great subclass idea. I can just imagine a whole set of lore/story about how & why their rage manifests as primal forms.
now we are to the fact that "should an abjurer be able to animate dead?" we have spells that are super specific to there types and aren't organized for the most part... I would rather my Necromancer get the invocation from warlocks that turns speak with dead to a cantrip, then give abjurer animate dead... the whole system either needs an overhaul or just give option and let the player decide..
Ex: I became an Abjurer to protect the living, letting the dead stand between us and the enemy IS PROTECTION...
Agree 100%. This is why I think char concept is so important.
I once made a wizard who's whole concept was that he didn't want anyone to know he was a wizard so he pretended to be a cat burglar instead. So he didn't take single spell with a visually discernible effect, and subtle spell meta magic, and high dex, etc. He wasn't much good in combat but he was one of my all time favourite characters to play.
okay, but either that applies to wizard and sorcerer or it shouldn't to fighter rouge and barbarian (and monk and ranger and bard)
Agree it should apply across the board but the game isn't published by "Fighters of the Coast" now is it <grin>
no give them a limited number... make them choose and build what they want
Agreed. Meaningful & interesting build choices that are trade-offs is what makes a game fun to create characters in.
yeah and concepts don't have to be "Storm Barbarian" or "Dragon Barbarian" it can be "Blue dragon/shaman Barbarian" and get powers that would fit in both of the former...
Hehe yeah the concept of a blue dragon barbarian did occur to me as I was writing that example, I figured someone would pick that up 🤣
the difference is when a wizard can be anything... and martials have such limits. The DM doesn't need to buy in for my Abjurer above to get animate dead, or for me to play 'sorcerer supreme' who can pull from everything... heck even my necromancer complaint I can take a feat at some level and get that warlock invocation (I think... maybe not by RAW I can't remember wording)
Agreed. Which is why both casters & martials need more differentiating character concept options in my opinion.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
"It was lost in transit"
Imagine you're the boss of the guards and after a catastrophic failure of security they tell you that was the conversation. I'd have them charged with treason at that point.

The only plausibly acceptable part is forging the documents. But a fake ID still isn't getting you into anywhere secure because guards aren't paid to be idiots.
But even assuming that's not an option, there are enough limitations on the ability, that I don't think you could actually guarantee success on the actions you are describing. E.g. if these are hand-selected advisors/lieutenants, unless you're coming in as the new guy, the plan doesn't really work. I'd be inclined to let it, but I can see others who would not. (Note too an interesting corollary of limiting the ability to assasins. It means that all such false documentation is produced by professional murderers. I suspect the penalty for being found in possession of these docs would be..severe)
The feature works because the feature says it does. Unless...since magic isn't involved someone assumes it must be bound by a realistic portrayal. Which is the exact problem to begin with and exactly what I mean.

I could make the feature instantaneous and foolproof and a DM finds a way to not let it work.

Any narrative-based feature can and will be vetoed by a DM that doesn't like it. You can have a feature say you can crush any stone ever and the DM can say "well, this stone is actually unbreakable and martials can't do it."

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Agreed but as you say that fits for a large and /or strong char type. Having this available to say a swashbuckler doesn't really make sense to me.
Casters getting I can do anything is a thing... one might reasonably be hesitant to duplicate the issue. Maybe splitting the ground and creating a gigantic fissure (which might gush water or lava or whatever) works of the Swashbuckler or like running full speed up and over walls or moving so fast you are out of site of the adversary never triggering opportunity attacks and effectively invisible while you stay moving. Maybe you can make throws or ranged attacks that will hit a target as far as you can see or if you simply know where they are :). Or make a thrown object bound back to you after hitting many objects.

"It was lost in transit"

All seem like potentially relevant responses, and on a rogue platform, there can be some significantly big skill check bonuses to make it work.

Frankly? Unless there is a specific rule for it, deception doesn't work so far. Lying makes the one you're talking to think you tell the truth. So, you're telling the truth when you lost your ID card... "too bad, go to the entry desk and they'll make you a temporary pass after checking your details" "OK, sure, let's wait for him together!" "Name Drop, really! However he didn't inform us and I am very sorry but I must follow the procedure until they are updated." You won't raise an alarm, but you won't pass through any checkpoint...

If you get forged document, you could. But it's a forgery roll, you'd need to have a sample of an authentic document to know what the BBEG's lieutenant card looks like in the first place... and you'd be exposed to the ID being checked.

But even assuming that's not an option, there are enough limitations on the ability, that I don't think you could actually guarantee success on the actions you are describing. E.g. if these are hand-selected advisors/lieutenants,

You've created a new identity, not merely a fake ID. A week of sowing misinformation will have several people being sure that they heard about the newest advisor recruited from Waterdeep "a friend of mine told me about him at the refectory, he saw him with the king". So, unless
"other creatures believe you to be that person until given an obvious reason not to", like trying to convince the Arthur that he appointed you himself Knight of the Round Table, everyone in the Kingdom will take you for a Knight of the Round Table. Including other Knights.

unless you're coming in as the new guy, the plan doesn't really work. I'd be inclined to let it, but I can see others who would not.

GMs have been nerfing magic for decades, especially utility (Speak with dead and divination in a sleuth game...). Ability nerfing isn't specific to casters or non-casters, it's a problem of DM's not integrating the abilities of the player into the story.

(Note too an interesting corollary of limiting the ability to assasins. It means that all such false documentation is produced by professional murderers. I suspect the penalty for being found in possession of these docs would be..severe)

Everyone can make an ID card saying your Count Arendel the Mighty. The ability is to make everyone in the court think that Arendel the Mighty is a legitimate member of the court.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sorry if this has already come up, as I haven't been following the entire thread.

But, if "martials" can do such things as jump crazy distances, or punch the ground to cause earthquakes, what is the point of having casters with spells that do it???

Don't misunderstand me, Fighter is one of my favorite classes in 5E, so I love seeing martials get some luvin', but IMO such things don't really seem the way to go. There is already too much overlap in 5E for my tastes--too many classes with spells or spell-like features--so I would rather see some other avenue explored towards making martials more versatile/appealing/etc.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
Generally, Fighters are the "typical example" of a martial character, although by no means the only one. It is very much worth noting that not all fighters are pure martials: Eldritch knights, Rune Knights, Echo knights are all examples of fighters that aren't purely martial any more. Rogues and Barbarians have similar specific subclasses in the same manner. Classes like Paladins, Monks, Rangers are also all explicitly magic users and so are generally viewed more generously when it comes to allowing them to pull off unusual ideas through use of their class abilities.
I thought this was kind of the point of this discussion. If a player wants to play a non magic martial type, they're not going to choose an EK, Rune Knight, Arcane Trickster, Storm Herald, etc and would go for something more like BM, Assassin, Beserker, etc.
For those players, how do we ensure they have equivalent capability & potential for fun (I think this is the bit we agree on) but in a way that makes sense for char concept & world building internal consistently (this might be the bit we disagree on?)
No. This is about whether martials get to have non-combat power within the game at the same level that spells grant the spellcasters, without needing to get DM buy-in.
The discussion hasn't been limited to only non combat power. We have had pages of discussion that have involved both combat & non combat aspects.
You gave the Tony Stark example as an example that a martial doesn't need DM buy-in to be as effective in non-combat situations as a spellcaster; "Take away the suit (magic item) and what is left that is just granted by class features?
I'm guessing that you didn't intend to move the goalposts, and you just forgot where that example came from. But it does kinda prove our point.
I gave the Tony Stark example as a way of explaining that character abilities should be assessed within the framework of a char concept & telling a story, and that there is (& should be) more to an RP char than their magic items. This applies to any character, whether martial or caster.

By that standard, there is more to Thor than just Mjolnir, more to Arthur than just Excalibur, more to Elric than just Stormbringer, etc. Do you dispute this?
They make no appreciable difference than the caster ones.
Because both are almost entirely combat-focused.
So in a discussion about how martials generally need the DM to grant them magic items to perform as well out of combat as the spellcasters without items do, you chose to only allow combat-based items to be considered for the comparison.
There are any number of magic items that would have been germane to the subject at hand that would have made a massive difference in out-of combat performance for the martial: Apparatus of Kwalish, Carpet of Flying, Cloak of Invisibility, Cubic Gate, Helm of Teleportation to name a few.
But you chose to only allow items for the martial that give basic numerical bonuses, primarily only useful in combat, to be used for the comparison.

Why?
Hehe, dude, take a chill pill. There's no need for implications like that. Part of this conversation related to specific combat examples, including one post by the OP of the thread exploring what an epic level martial was capable of doing within the rules. My choice of items related to that discussion.
Really? It would seem that they do not in this case.
Ok, well I guess we can agree to disagree on that one. I think maybe we're seeing it differently because we're comparing apples with oranges because when we say within the rules I'm considering all of the rules of the game, which includes the DM-ing and world building whereas you were looking at just class rules. Maybe?
Generally because playing a batman-equivalent would require not only way more gold than a character can start with, but also either magic items or spells to replicate the many gadgets that he relies on. Since magic items aren't generally easily available for sale, and having spells takes the character out of the purely martial realm, this rather proves the point that a martial would need DM generosity to play a concept that many casters could without needing the DM to put their thumb on the scales.
Depends, are you expecting to be able to play batman at the height of his career at 1st level? That's not really how D&D works.
In order to play batman in D&D I would think you would need a very high level character.

And yes, obviously if you choose a char concept that relies on a background like billionaire that doesn't yet exist in the game, you would need your DM on board. That's why there are guidelines for creating new backgrounds in the rules.

Just like if you said to your DM that you wanted to play a Jedi in D&D, you might talk about it, and create a new background which corresponded to being a member of the order, and model it on a Kensai but swap out a couple of the class features which don't quite fit in exchange for being able to cast the jump spell with Ki, take the telekinetic feat, and agree that at some point you'll be looking to quest to gain a sun blade. Does this all need the DM on board? Of course it does, because that's kind of the point of playing a tabletop RPG isn't it? But wait, this was a magical character not a martial! 😛
That statement does indeed make sense, but it has very little to do with what was being discussed.
Gammadoodler brings up the example of Morgana as a fully developed character with effective ways of influencing and taking part in non-combat challenges. As compared to King Arthur, whose influence and capability to deal with high-end non-combat challenges has to be granted by the DM because it is not given by class features.
Another fighter has very little effectiveness in such challenges unless the DM also gives them that ability, whereas another spellcaster still has that capability baked in to their class.
So are you saying that a player that deliberately chooses a character archetype that is purely about combat, ie "Fighter", and puts absolutely none of their available build resources over many many levels into anything outside fighting, should nonetheless have comparable supernatural abilities outside combat as a character who is defined by their entire concept as pursuing those supernatural abilities?

Que?

Remove ads