D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don't even understand the question. Are you asking the point of spells like Jump in general? Are you asking what the point of having illusionists and casters able to cast fireball is if fighters get bigger tricks? Or are you asking why, if a 12th level fighter can clap their hands like the Hulk for a localised shockwave the first level wizard spell Thunderwave exists?
I think of course why does the fighter exist if the best defender / ally protector will always be a mixed class caster? Because that is what we have in 5e.

The distinction being ... not about individual minor thing.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Caster imbalance isn't a problem if you follow the six to eight encounter adventuring day! That makes casters conserve their magic, allowing martial characters time to shine.
That fixes nothing. It's just saying you'll get to be useful once the Real Heroes are too tired to continue.

Just let martials be fun instead of 100% mundane as seen through the lens of game designers who do not know what the human body is full capable of.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
Level Up has a maneuver called "Horizon Shot" works with a ranged weapon attack in the last tier.
But the instance I have seen of targeting an unseen adversary is in very mythic anime featured a spear thrower throwing at a lesser target near another epic class character as a warning shot so far away he only knew they were there because of instinct and he had been forewarned they were coming. It was a thrown attack and strength based I suppose.
Yeah.... This sort of thing would need a specific concept, story or power source in order to make sense for me, not just "because I'm an archer"

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah.... This sort of thing would need a specific concept, story or power source in order to make sense for me, not just "because I'm an archer
I know we can fix it for you... I am wizard... all fixed

The characters all have stories though every one of them a reason they arent schmucks who will never reach level 5. One guys actively transcending space and becoming a god of justice and later learning to carve time and another has apollo in his family tree.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
LOLOLOL. Love your work. 😂

But no.
Do you get the point? Wizards arent required to explain anything at all.

He is unbeknownst to even himself a form of mage and doesnt even know it, this is actually a reason I have read, in a novel not that long ago, it explained bursts of superhuman strength and breaking spells easily, he did not know he had eldar blood either.

The further in the story the more things he learns to do with it... discovers his magic enhanced life force physical body can also use things (like enhancer potions) that would be dangerous to most casters. Counter spells often will not work on things he does because it is idiosyncratic enough.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah.... This sort of thing would need a specific concept, story or power source in order to make sense for me, not just "because I'm an archer"
maneuvers in levelup are pretty extensive. That particular one is a biting zephyr maneuver. Technically fighter marshal ranger & rogue could choose it & might have access to biting zephyr rather than some other choice & they could choose farshot stance rather than some other biting zephyr maneuver/stance.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
maneuvers in levelup are pretty extensive. That particular one is a biting zephyr maneuver. Technically fighter marshal ranger & rogue could choose it & might have access to biting zephyr rather than some other choice & they could choose farshot stance rather than some other biting zephyr maneuver/stance.
And the fighter taking Adamant Mountain or Mirror's Glint or Tooth and Claw can pick some pretty nice even lowish level maneuvers too.

Remove ads