Cat Advice (very off topic)

Yes. On the footstool or sometimes even on me.

That is a very good sign. It means your cat is happy and feels safe.

Don't worry about the lack of playing. Not all cats are used to it. Playing often needs to be encouraged from when they are young, and even then cats can have very diverse personalities. Some just don't do it.

Having to share the same house with other pets can sometimes cause stress, and make a cat feel like the house isn't their territory. Especially when there are dogs or other cats.

Last edited:

Cats don't generally go out of their way to kill other cats unlike dog or fox messing up a cat.
It still happens though, we had a female cat die after being raped by an unneutered tom. Dogs and foxes (and badgers) aren't usually trying to kill either - they just want to show the cat who is boss. Death is a consequence of the massive power differential. Given the way I've seen our cats treat foxes I'm surprised they are still alive.

Strangest thing: we once had a young cat, about a year old, and I saw it playing with fox cubs!

Last edited:

No. Not a one. I've tried balls, laser pointers, dangly things, etc.
Cats learn to play with toys as kittens. In nature, mummy cat teaches kittens to hunt. Domestic kittens need to be taught how to play with toys. Some of the behaviour is natural, some learned. If a kitten isn't played with much it may not show much interest in toys when it is an adult. You might try her with a real mouse.

If a kitten isn't interested in toys, or an older cat suddenly gives up on toys, then I would be worried.

That isnt' much fun for the mouse, you know. It s more claws, teeth, bleeding, and death. Not exactly a humane approach to toys.

Plus, if the cat isn't really a hunter, you will have a mouse loose in your house.
Sure, there is that to consider. But we have meeses around here anyway, I wouldn't go to a petshop for one. Although you can get them as live food for snakes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Although you can get them as live food for snakes.

Yes, but you can also get humanely killed and frozen mice as live food for snakes. And you should only live-feed if that's the only way your snake will eat. Because live-feeding is cruel to the mouse ( I mean, it does get eaten, and that's not fun), and also because one of the biggest issues for pet snakes is infection after injury by live food - that mouse is apt to defend itself, wound the snake, and that wound can get infected.

R_J_K75

Legend
I never seen a black cat with so much brown in her. Now this is the skiddish one, and I was offhandely sininging Gloria Gaynors "I Will Survive" she comes tearing down the stairs and jumps on my lap and we rock out. Then I thought Cake does a great rendition too. For your listening pleasure.

Attachments

• 20210513_111944.jpg
    20210513_111944.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80

Nellisir

Hero
Foxes can and do kill cats, but if they are familiar with each other they learn to get along, pretty much the same as cats and dogs.

In your case, it sounds like a fight over territory, rather than predation (although that happens sometimes too). Another reason to have domestic cats neutered (Tomcats kill each other sometimes too).
OK, I used the word "tomcat" because it was 20lbs of angry male cat, but it was neutered. The owner is a veterinarian; he takes in unadoptable strays as barn cats.

I'm not sure where you live, but foxes around here absolutely prey on cats. It's not Disneyworld. They went on a binge last year; got most of his barn cats, plus the guinea hens (yet again...he wasn't amused by my observation that he seemed to just be buying mobile fox food at this point), and possibly a few other critters. I wasn't really keeping track; he's got a lot of animals.

Whether or not a dog will "intend" to kill a cat depends a lot on the dog breed. I had a 30-lb dog bred for hunting small game; if it was small and fast-moving, she would kill it without thinking. Massively hardwired instincts. I worked her hard on control (we did agility and obedience for several years) but was always careful to keep her leashed outside the yard (which was fenced). The angriest she ever got at me was when I took a dead groundhog away from her... (and no, she didn't do anything. Just dirty looks and two days of sulking.)

P-O'ed fox in middle of picture. I'm maybe...80 feet away? It hung out there for another 20 minutes.
IVrMAPtoqUyNFXSOFrzMFLtZuyXBjNxZpA14DmWR0HdfzBIhQGj6VVLnJOsszMiZreM-6RkMM__-4GqfxxEUNSFzF7nexVwwlUu02Pfi0__rGWpdgW_ufpm-uwbHQR9vNSQF6IUmOMF96XA3ciHBoyBi0JlnBvJ73pS0_qDdB_jhKjNG3gunESmDYSGO8HANoX5sxwRard_LXdck0qefif2jMquDaaN2H30GOA4IapGilVDqlqDOYrdMXVi-TvAq8cT0t8dIPAIlZz59mKQBgim95RgLtODRqIKdupB1S2dyY6YmjbHtV7diZKPz7YhKH3tI2xp33LMdrWB3yRP0Y3FAUQzTc7aP2475EV9Rx0F73wnooLe_OMoW3n3vybDszT9uWZOQ_9M_Nx44WYiDAp94tWIa-4MSJKYozN23IbHV-JD0C5mshLVLfJrwM9rkXs8MukikoWoFz-MLN4kGCRZp5Sc_52sjPbrRzkNl67Z1iIfI_q_yJCiExJQdEyc4iLoxDtKmO8WLmrImmaCD5WbcqU3RzHXDqJcys5P8QiwI8LZHnwb97l-R-KnLA2MiA1TrG2lriGVWeGQlSOnOj3CBCIql14bpkgCdKaqYcysZsOdkMe2XlpPpftsU_X6TE2jPGiXksP4jlpXX7mJgb7j8BMiVbT55tijaq1vPdaT03O5UrHmITcjyYdEuF5UP36xgCHH5z5RAiUuNI0mfvQFe=w713-h950-no

R_J_K75

Legend
Thread title is "Cat Advice" so I guess this question is appropriate.

I have 2 indoor cats and use a topical medication to prevent them from getting fleas. I use Bravecto which lasts 12 weeks. The only way I can get it on them is to get them sitting next to me and quickly lightly grab them by the scruff and hold them down long enough to dose them. They seem to know when Im about to do it, I think they can smell it because I open it before I try. Usually I can only get one at a time, then have to wait another couple days to get the other. I cant give them flea baths, and flea collars would be just as hard if not harder to get on them. The topical is all that worked to prevent and get rid of fleas so Im not interested in changing products. As much as I feel bad putting them through the stress of putting it on them, and theyre only pissed at me for a few hours the alternative of having fleas is way worse.

Anyone have any suggestion for a less stressful/easier method of putting the medicine on them, what method do you use?

Remove ads