Cat Advice (very off topic)

In Britain we almost all let cats go outside. Sometimes they get killed, but they always seem a lot happier than any kept-indoors cat I've ever seen. Cats seem to really value being able to come and go as they please.
Britain has few creatures that would predate cats (my cats beat up foxes, although I have heard of badgers killing over-curious cats) and the horse has bolted with respect to protecting endangered species from predation (and interbreeding with wildcats).

Obviously, from the cat's PoV being an outdoor cat is great (very important that it is neutered!).

People often buy expensive cat towers, without checking if a cat wants one, and then they are dismayed that the cat ignores it.

Does your cat like climbing and high places? Cat tower!

Does your cat prefer small spaces at ground level instead? Get her those.

As for hissing at strangers, that is not uncommon. My cat put up a thick tail and arched back when I had loud repairmen visit my house. Cats can get stressed by loud sounds and strangers.

But even traumatized cats can change their ways. Someone I know, got a cat from the local animal shelter. They warned him the cat was very unsocial. But in his hands the cat was like a baby. While the cat never warmed up to his wife, it would sit on his shoulders all the time. Cat can be very picky who they trust.

But often they favor quiet gentle people who leave them alone and don't try to touch them or pick them up all the time.

Don't worry. Your cat can change his ways.

The hissing is when others come to the house. She mostly just meows (sometimes loudly) at my wife and me. She likes scratching furniture when I come home from work. She hates being taken to the vet (or anywhere for that matter), so I'm not sure if the vet will be able to get a fair view of her behavior.
Most cats hate being taken to the Vet. The meowing is a good sign though. It communicates with you both.

Scratching can relief stress, but cats can also do it to get your attention, or because it is part of a daily ritual. Cats are creatures of habit. Cats need to scratch to get rid of the old layers on top of their nails. It keeps their nails sharp, but they probably do it because it feels nice. Giving your cat a place to scratch is important.

A friend of mine tried to teach her cat to use the scratching post, by rewarding it with food. Now the cat scratches to indicate it wants food. :D

So that kind of backfired...

Retreater

Legend
Most cats hate being taken to the Vet. The meowing is a good sign though. It communicates with you both.

Scratching can relief stress, but cats can also do it to get your attention, or because it is part of a daily ritual. Cats are creatures of habit. Cats need to scratch to get rid of the old layers on top of their nails. It keeps their nails sharp, but they probably do it because it feels nice. Giving your cat a place to scratch is important.

A friend of mine tried to teach her cat to use the scratching post, by rewarding it with food. Now the cat scratches to indicate it wants food. :D

So that kind of backfired...
She has several dedicated scratching places, from a cat tree (with small boxes to sit in at various heights - including ground level) to a little ramp. She doesn't use those, however, only furniture. Putting treats there go ignored, same thing with using scents and putting my clothes on them to make her feel calm.
It's not so much that she's a disturbance to me. I'm more concerned that she's unhappy or stressed, and I want to make sure she has a good life.

Nellisir

Hero
my cats beat up foxes
Having witnessed a 25 lb fox have a knock-down, drag-out screaming fight with a 20 lb fightin' mad tomcat, I'll tell you this is true until it isn't. The fox didn't get its dinner (because I came out hollering), but the cat got severe internal injuries and died 12 hours later.

That was the last real stray around here; the foxes had cleared out the rest earlier.

That fox was PISSED, btw. I had to guard the cat for 45 minutes until the owner came to get it out from under our shed. The fox stayed in sight the whole time and screamed at me.

Having witnessed a 25 lb fox have a knock-down, drag-out screaming fight with a 20 lb fightin' mad tomcat, I'll tell you this is true until it isn't. The fox didn't get its dinner (because I came out hollering), but the cat got severe internal injuries and died 12 hours later.

That was the last real stray around here; the foxes had cleared out the rest earlier.

That fox was PISSED, btw. I had to guard the cat for 45 minutes until the owner came to get it out from under our shed. The fox stayed in sight the whole time and screamed at me.
Foxes can and do kill cats, but if they are familiar with each other they learn to get along, pretty much the same as cats and dogs.

In your case, it sounds like a fight over territory, rather than predation (although that happens sometimes too). Another reason to have domestic cats neutered (Tomcats kill each other sometimes too).

Last edited:

She has several dedicated scratching places, from a cat tree (with small boxes to sit in at various heights - including ground level) to a little ramp. She doesn't use those, however, only furniture. Putting treats there go ignored, same thing with using scents and putting my clothes on them to make her feel calm.
It's not so much that she's a disturbance to me. I'm more concerned that she's unhappy or stressed, and I want to make sure she has a good life.
Have you tried putting sticky tape on the furniture along with moving her scratching posts next to the furniture she likes to scratch up the most?

Zardnaar

Legend
Cats don't generally go out of their way to kill other cats unlike dog or fox messing up a cat.b

Their fights are mostly loud and for show.

Infections from bites etc however can kill them later.

Normally the loser runs away with ripped ears or whatever.

20 pounds is also a big cat. It's the old size does matter pound for pound a cat going at it is nasty but if something's two or three times it's size..... Dying from injuries go up a lot.

We had a vicious little moggy. Total mooch with us but he was very territorial. That was the one with kidney problems which ended up killing him via infections.

Our houses aren't really indoor cat friendly though and the culture and sections tend to be more outdoor based than USA.

Does she ever fall asleep when in the same room as you, or just lie down?

Does she play with cat toys at all?

Cats need to feel safe to lie down and sleep. A cat stretched out and dreaming is a sign of a cat that feels secure enough to do so.

Playing is also a sign of happyness. Young cats are more prone to playing, but even elderly cats like to play. The type of cat toys they prefer differs per cat.

My male cat Spyro likes playing with a bright rubbery ball that he can chew on. He likes carrying it in his mouth and kicking it through the house. He also likes toy mice occasionally. But it doesn't seem important to him that it resembles prey.

Oddly enough, he likes to play hide and seek the most. I've never seen a cat before that likes this type of play, unless it is with another cat. :D

Remove ads