Cat Advice (very off topic)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone have any suggestion for a less stressful/easier method of putting the medicine on them, what method do you use?

From my wife the veterinarian:

In general, the more you try to pin down a cat, the more they'll struggle. So, the less force that can be used, the better. Are your cats not big on touch in general, or are they pretty physically friendly most of the time, and this is the only time they run?

If they can smell it open beforehand, get a co-conspirator to help you. You get the cat settled in with you, and they open the tube and hand it to you.

Can you try to get them while they are asleep?

R_J_K75

Legend
From my wife the veterinarian:

In general, the more you try to pin down a cat, the more they'll struggle. So, the less force that can be used, the better. Are your cats not big on touch in general, or are they pretty physically friendly most of the time, and this is the only time they run?

If they can smell it open beforehand, get a co-conspirator to help you. You get the cat settled in with you, and they open the tube and hand it to you.

Can you try to get them while they are asleep?
Thanks for the reply. They will come sit on my lap, one lets me pick him up, while the other doesn't. They both let me pet them. Relatively speaking they are both friendly. I live alone and aren't afraid when I have one or two visitors but I think having someone else help will only give them more reason to know somethings up. Usually if Im quick enough they struggle very little, if they do I let them go. Next time I'm going to try and get them in a more relaxed situation as you suggested and see how that goes. Thanks again to you and your wife I will definitely take the advice into consideration.

That isnt' much fun for the mouse, you know. It s more claws, teeth, bleeding, and death. Not exactly a humane approach to toys.

Plus, if the cat isn't really a hunter, you will have a mouse loose in your house.
We had a rat in our pantry once. My daughter quickly threw our oldest cat in there. She just sat there and said, "You don't have feathers, so we can coexist." Lol!

We had a rat in our pantry once. My daughter quickly threw our oldest cat in there. She just sat there and said, "You don't have feathers, so we can coexist." Lol!
I think rats are too big for most domestic cats. Mine run a mile if they see one. You really need a feral/farm cat that has been taught by it's mother if you want a ratter. Or get a terrier. Round here it is the foxes that predate rats and squirrels.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yeah. Many rats are a bit large for cats to take on. Plus, each cat definitely has its preferred prey. Back when I was a kid, we had one cat who took on the rodents and small ground game, and another that tok on the birds. Both were very good at what they did, which was odd, because their mother couldn't hunt to save her life, as far as we could tell. Or maybe, once she had kids it was, "Okay, now I don't have to do this, you can handle that job," and took more naps.

R_J_K75

Legend
@The Green Hermit

Funny I was just thinking about this thread and I open my computer and I saw your reaction.

I just bought a set of these for my 2 cats, they're funny, dummys are eating from the back. I think these newfangled food dishes are hogwash.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just bought a set of these for my 2 cats, they're funny, dummys are eating from the back. I think these newfangled food dishes are hogwash.

So, before calling them dummies... try turning the dish around, and see what they do.

The cat does not know (or honestly care) about what you consider the "right" direction. They have their own priorities.

R_J_K75

Legend
So, before calling them dummies... try turning the dish around, and see what they do.

The cat does not know (or honestly care) about what you consider the "right" direction. They have their own priorities.
"Dummies" was a term of endearment. Turning the dish around didn't work, they chose the back side. Judging by this picture I took 2 mins ago I'd say theyre doing OK.

20210527_130801_HDR_(1).jpg

Remove ads