• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - We have a winner.

reveal

Adventurer
One more thing, since I don't want to edit my previous post.

3) This is not a Fantasy story. Hopefully the judges don't frown upon that too much. :)

yangnome

First Post
reveal said:
One more thing, since I don't want to edit my previous post.

3) This is not a Fantasy story. Hopefully the judges don't frown upon that too much. :)

I don't think that will be of any concern to the judges. I've noticed that a lot of the time, the pictures seem to dictate the time, place, season, and even genre of the story.

Macbeth

First Post
Don't worry that it's not a fantasy story. In all my time in Ceramic DM, I can only think of one or two stories I've wrote that are even close to being Fantasy.

yangnome

First Post
Berandor,
[sblock]

You brought up a number of astute observations. I think I pretty much agree with most, if not all of the points you make. I’ll try to address them one by one to show the reason for my choices.

It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine A very nice story about the end of the world. I didn't mind the speaker's "voice", but I think in the combat description you lose it and become very clear and technical, where perhaps a more "muddy" description might have worked better.
I agree with this. I’m not very good at describing combat, especially when dealing with epic level fantasy martial arts stuff. Throw the wings of the Angel into the equation and I had a full plate in front of me. I think in trying to describe something cinematic, I slipped out of character. I began trying to picture the fight in my mind, and I didn’t filter it through the eyes of the narrator. I think I could have avoided this mistake had I been a bit more comfortable with the topic I was writing.

I always like these kinds of "what ifs" - what if the homeless man warning us of our doom actually was correct? The situation also seemed very "personal", very "local" to me. The end of the world started in Eerie, Indiana. (actually, that might make a good first sentence for a story)

Indeed, that would have been a good opening line to the story. I toyed around with trying a different opening line that introduced conflict a bit sooner, but couldn’t come up with something I liked. I think your suggestion is nice and simple and would have made a good alternative.

So how did the monk know where and when to be? And if he appeared, why not several others? Why didn't he bring some heavy weaponry, or a clan of ninjas with him? And what would have happened if he hadn't punched a hole in the world? It's a fine entry, but these questions remained with me afterwards.
These are questions I thought about answering in the story, but decided to leave them unanswered. Looking back, I think I should have at least answered why he came alone. Doing so would have helped stress one of the themes behind my story.

Of course, some of the questions you ask let me know that I might not have covered this theme enough…or perhaps I did cover it just enough. This theme was the arrogance of man. In the telling of the story, it seems as if the angel of death is the evil character, bringing with her the end of the world. The monk makes a stand for humanity. In the end however, it is the monk’s arrogance that brings about the end of the world. His kick brings the fatal blow to the world. He destroys what he originally set out to save. Had he not shown, would the world have ended? Well, I guess that is where destiny comes in. I guess it is similar to the question, ‘what if no one had crucified Jesus.’

As to the question about the hole he put in the earth, it wasn’t this that destroyed the world. I think I was a bit too subtle with this for the audience to pick it up, but his kick shook the world. It shook it hard enough that it destroyed the balance and caused it to fall from the web of reality. This of course, brought about the destruction of the world.

The Pictures
*checks to see these are the correct pictures for the round*
Alright, I loved the way you used the "gaping smile" - looking at Angelic Destruction might indeed cause such a reaction. Making the man the narrator was a great choice. The "ki jump" was a fairly straightforward interpretation, but hard to do differently. The "frozen bridge" was nice, but mainly for the image. Having frost stretching out after a hard punch was a fairly random thing to happen, I thought. The "spiderweb", finally, was a very nice visual. Alternate realities hanging on these threads - I like it very much.
I’ll try to answer your question about the frost as well as I can. I think the question arises, because it doesn’t really contain that much logic. I wanted to use frost as a symbol for the death of the world. When the world falls from the web, it begins to die. Frost almost instantly covers the world as it falls into oblivion. The of course, the world breaks apart and comes to an end. I think it just gave a transition from life to death, rather than just having the kick end the world right there. Plus it gave a chance for our homeless guy to get away.

Anyway, I hope I answered some of your questions.

[/sblock]

Hi Berandor,

Comments within, :)

[sblock]
Berandor said:
Herreman the Wise, Of Power and Peace
One thing is missing from your story, just one miniscule thing: a word. Couldn't you have put another adjective or adverb somewhere? 4,999 words? :D
But there's my problem with your story right there: it's wordy. That's not to say your sentences aren't beautifully constructed, as far as I can tell. But you use so many adverbs and adjectives - I was longing for something to be simply the way it is. Just a table. Just a smile. Just a spell. I realize you wanted to craft the atmosphere of a fairy tale, of a time of wonders long past, and you succeeded. I just felt it was too much.
That's fair comment. My writing is shall we say... indulgent, to a certain extent. It's a style thing and I suppose it isn't to everyone's taste. For me, I love words and putting them together in different ways to elicit different effects. Perhaps even, a lot of it comes from the way I actually write. I see a scene in my head and I play it out as if it's a movie and I'm there with my camera. I block everything out and try and see and feel. Then I write.

The following I suppose is an approximate overview of my 72 hours of pleasure and pain.
Pretty much this whole story was written at work over the space of three 8-hour blocks.

The first block was trying to make heads or tails of the pictures - I had something after about three hours but sheesh were there some confidence issues. Even when I had decided a path and trail through the pictures, I questioned myself whether it was good enough. Finding the courage to move forward with it was actually quite difficult for me. I had an outline but I wasn't sure of exactly how to end my tale. Regardless, time was moving past too quick to get lost. I had to start writing.

Which by the second block I had. I'd written the introduction, half of the opening and the part with Bazreth and the solar dew spider. However, this was really strange for me. I normally write sequentially with the end product completely written as you see it upon the page. However, I was sought of stuck with exactly how to present the Lorus and Orrolo. Time was flying past all too fast and so I jumped forward to write ahead. I'm glad I did otherwise I really would have run out of time. Anyway, it was the end of the 2nd day and yet there was still so much to write. I really wondered whether I'd have to drop out with tail firmly between my legs.

Anyway, on the third day, I really got pumping and finished the final three and a half thousand words. However, the ceiling of 5000 words was so difficult. I suppose it comes back to that famous quote: "I would have written a shorter letter but I did not have time". A quote so true. Anyway, the story was finished so I printed it out like I had every other day to take it home to edit with my trusty red pen. Cleaning up certain phrases, making others a little more accurate and tidy.

And so, with the deadline at 8:51am on a chilly Thursday morning in Sydney, I finally posted up my first Ceramic DM entry.

Anyway, I suppose I followed the same advice given to my from these boards when I started my Story Hour: write for yourself.
And so my style is the eventual product. And I love Jack Vance, what can I say. ;)
Berandor said:
My second quibble would be with the conflict. What conflict, you ask? There you have it. There is none. The gift to the barbarians is in Imperial hands from the beginning. The wizard immediately listens to the boy and takes him to the barbarian lands, whereupon they are immediately transported to the emperor, before a peace treaty is signed and the dragon egg returned. There are fights, yes, but they are glossed over, as are any problems in crafting said peace treaty or even being received by the barbarian emperor.

Again fair comment. The limits of telling a long story as a short story I suppose is the key here. In the end, it had to become more a tale that did not get bogged down in such issues.
Again, the restrictions brought about by following the pictures dominates here.

However, I hope there was enough conflict to drive the story, between E'dhanus and Orrolo, E'dhanus and Bazreth and I suppose wondering how it would all turn out - I mean, what was "the gift" anyway. I tried to leave this hanging until the end.

I suppose the conflict that I was using to drive the story was a little too subtle; particularly compared to the more standard Ceramic DM entries. Unfortunately, there was simply not the space to go into the more minute details of how or why. In fact, I wanted to keep things somewhat vague in regards to motives.

For example, did the Lorus send E'dhanus because she knew that Bazreth would smite him for his arrogance while Orrolo as a beacon of spirit and portent, would blind the wizard with his significance? Was the gift not only the Dragon's Egg, but giving Bazreth back to his people? There is simply not the space to push these things forward so explicitly. With more time, and I suppose a better writer, these issues could be more neatly folded into the story.

Berandor said:
That said, it was still a very enjoyable read, and you do craft very fine sentences. And the final note, of giving power to your enemy, was wonderful. I really liked that.
If you enjoyed the story, I achieved my aim. :)

Berandor said:
The Pictures
The "gaping smile" is the wizard's servant seeing a dragon for the first time in decades. It's a nice image, but not a spectacular use. The "spiderweb" was very nice, and I think I will yoink the idea of the dew spider for later use. I thought the "ki kick" was an innovative use with the brother being yanked back, even though his demise was so early in the story. The "frozen bridge" was a nice use, but I wasn't quite clear on the significance of the ice, since you write later on that the wizard's valley was always in temperate climate, the threat of winter yet a promise :)

I was happy with my use of the pictures overall. I was dead set scared to begin with though. Here's just a little explanation of each one:

The Smiling Man
As you can see, this is Moses with Bazreth in the background holding his staff. Behind them is the massive twin planet of Iriadeus. As I mentioned before, if you look at "Moses", he is looking in awe, but if you then focus upon his eyes, you can see the fear in them. The reflected sunset in his eyes was also a key. He needed to be looking at something magnificent. As such I really tried to capture the natural flow that was inherent in the image - the best I have seen in my opinion from looking through a good selection of past pictures.

The Spider's Web
I really liked this. With several reference's in the story - "our friend's final message" - for eample, I thought I meshed this in pretty well. It was the portent that changed the mind of Bazreth and gave him a reason to trust Orrolo - at least to a certain extent. I thought of using the reflection in the dew drops more and in fact did although you would not easily find it. If you look closely, there appear to be two riders and so, that's how I had the dragons; with two riders - what the web was auguring to Bazreth.

Ki Kick
Obviously, this had the dominant effect once I knew this was E'dhanus. That would mean that he was more oriental, and so I decided to make them part of an Empire to match with that. However, the distortion in the middle of the image seemed important to use. If you had not noticed, I really tried to suck the last drop of marrow out of each picture using them as literally as I could. His expression, seemed one of defiance, pain and surprise so that is how I used it. The distorted line was the vertical plane of magic that would destroy him.

The Bridge
This was the most general image. However, the winter it spoke of set the entire environment for the scenery in the Empire. Combined with the cloudy background of the Ki Kick, it set the weather arrangements - in direct contrast with the summer-like aspect of the Northern Kingdom of the arid wastes. This is why I needed to divorce those images as far apart as possible in terms of space within the three realms. While this was most likely the weakest use of a picture from my perspective, I tried to have this place significant as the "portal" to Bazreth's magical glade and the dramatic scene of E'dhanus's demise and the discovery of Orrolo's link to the portent. I thought, if I can't use this picture that effectively, it might as well be the place where some interesting things happen.
[By the way, the glade is meant to be magically protected and thus why it is in eternal springtime compared to the surrounding Winter.]

Anyway, Berandor, thank you very much for the critique. I will take on board your comments in either the next round or the next Ceramic DM, which ever comes first. :)
[/sblock]

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Maldur said:
I did email my verdict for round 1-3, so BSF can go to town with posting them :D

*gets a new judging stick as I just broke this one against something*

In anger, amazement, frustration or perhaps because it wasn't working quite right?
I suppose we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Gotta be careful with those judging sticks, temperamental things I'm sure. :D

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Berandor

lunatic
Interesting comments! Thanks, guys. :)

To bridge the time until the next judgement, let's address the newest entry.

reveal, [not a fantasy story] ;)
[sblock]First off, I didn't think the grandma-unfriendliness was out of line. Though when posting here, you might have written "Well, f*** you, too!" That was the only problematic word I could make out in there.
What I liked was that you gave us the outcome up front. We knew both Eddie and Susan Eric and Sonia would survive, so we could enjoy the getting there. Sonia winning the match was good; I doubt she could have been "saved" by a stronger man (the chip on her shoulder, you know? :)) - though even silenced guns are usually quite loud, and Fat Jack died very quietly.
One thing I noticed was that Eric thought, "Tomorrow I will die for love", which seemed to be only in there because it's a cool thing to write. He didn't make any preperations for getting killed (calling family or friends, for example), and in the segment after this statement, he's still planning to save Sonia and leave with her. I also wondered where Sonia sleeps, since Eric spends roughly 24 hours in her apartment without her showing up.
Other than these two, though, this story continues the string of good entries so far. I liked it a lot. Thank you.
The Pictures
The "snowmen" is an interesting idea - what a great amusement park that would be, as long as there are no people in snowman costumes prancing about. But to the story, it could be any kind of refuge - perhaps if not for its quiet. The "marbles" were a great idea. Just using it as an art project wouldn't have been a good use, but the explanation was very nice. "Fat Jack" was a good use, but fairly straightforward. Since Fat Jack has an important part in the story, however, the picture is fine. "Sparring", finally, shows maybe the key moment of the story, when Sonia beats Eric and herself in a way. I'm not sure you can block a leg sweep and push it that high, but who cares? :)[/sblock]

MarauderX

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I hope Arwink wins round 4, because he's the only guy I know well enough to be able to trash talk. Of course, he probably won't be able to finish his story because he's moving again. (note: not a crack at BSF or alsih2o or anyone else moving).

A larger gauntlet of smack couldn't have been laid down! I am not cannon fodder for your Arwink to practice with! I am not a stepping stool for your dear friend to use so that he can look you in the eye once more! If I go down, I shall go down striking a mortal blow to whomever the victor is! Should you face someone other than I, know that your victory will be hollow as they will not recover quickly enough from doing CDM battle in my round! Or something like that.

reveal will need to speak up for himself. :p

reveal

Adventurer
MarauderX said:
A larger gauntlet of smack couldn't have been laid down! I am not cannon fodder for your Arwink to practice with! I am not a stepping stool for your dear friend to use so that he can look you in the eye once more! If I go down, I shall go down striking a mortal blow to whomever the victor is! Should you face someone other than I, know that your victory will be hollow as they will not recover quickly enough from doing CDM battle in my round! Or something like that.

reveal will need to speak up for himself. :p

I'm not going to say anything. I prefer to let my victories speak for themselves.

Remove ads