• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - We have a winner.

BSF

Explorer
Presumably Rangerwickett is OK with waiting until Thursday or so. We lose a little momentum in the contest, but I want both folks to be ready for the final round. Though I would point out the opportunity for a little smack talk. ;)

So what do we talk about the next few days to keep the thread alive? I miss the banter discussing why decisions were made about a story.

Berandor

lunatic
Alright, decisions in my story...

Early on, I decided my story would be a good one :D

When I saw the pictures, I noticed a certain thread linking them. The "hair in the underground" one immediately said tree to me, by the way, so I noticed a hint of nature or the elements in the pics: an animal (the cat), water (twice), air (the umbrella man) and a tree. This lead to the druid. The pics were contemporary (especially the umbrella man), however. The cat just had to be intelligent.

I must admit my first anchor into the story was the swimmer picture. To me, the whole story was about what the woman was catching (or giving up?) there, something small enough, and light enough, to be contained in a soap bubble. The story kind of evolved from there, and away from it.

So the swimmer was catching something precious, and the cat was intelligent (and obviously mean - look at that pic!). It's about a heist! I had already thought the ceiling of the "whirl pool" pic could have been the cover of the pool, and the jump to making it a safe was quickly done. And the umbrella was our hero escaping. But how did the "tree" fit in? And what to make of that catching thing, now that our hero escapes through the air.

My first idea was to make the "mermaid catch" his plan B, that when the hero hears police helicopters approaching, he steers over the river and drops the package. But what's a heist story without treachery? And when I got the idea of using Piratecat's signature as a close-off, I knew I would have to have it end badly for the narrator. But the cat couldn't win, could it? He? She? That's where the hero's speci-ism came from, and it gave me the reason why the mermaid would betray him.

I knew the "tree" was still a stretch, even though it gave me the chance to strengthen the mermaid's part in the story (and the hero's clothing in the umbrella pic), and her betrayal was too contrived (I mean, how did she know he'd fly over the river, even though she tipped off the police? Yeah, I know you didn't know that, but I did :)). But I still felt the scenes were remarkable enough to warrant illustration, so the pictures weren't throw-aways.

And as I really, really struggled with that bitch of a story, I just said to heck with it and wrote the damn thing down :)

Now I return to Harry Potter's final chapters.

Macbeth

First Post
Berandor said:
Now I return to Harry Potter's final chapters.
Final chapters already? I'm less then half way through! But then again, I did buy the DMG II at the same time, and I did a lot of... other things, besides reading, this weekend.

And I'll be sure to be careful in Scotland, thanks for the thoughts. ;)

BSF

Explorer
I won't begin HArry Potter until sometime after Eeralai is done.

Hey, Alsih2o is having a little Ceramic-DM diversion and is giving away Ar Magica 5th ed. Go checkout his Pseudo Ceramic DM contest thread. Sign-up and let's have a big free-for-all.

Hellefire

First Post
Hey all,

Grats to Berander and Ranger! Sorry I have been gone so long..moved 2 houses over and my internet company (SBC) keeps screwing up getting it reconnected. And I will be following my girlfriend and baby back to Europe this weekend due to an extreme family emergency. I have felt bad missing out on so much of the CDM this time, but it was necessary.

Good luck in the final. I don't know that I'll even get to read them until some weeks from now, but give 'em helle!

I'll drink a Polish beer to toast winners this weekend!

Aaron

I certainly intend to revise my latest entry before I show it to anyone else. I want to work in a joke where the love interest is famous for acting in movies where she's a "chick with a gun." I'll probably shuffle some of the story elements to pace it better, and I'll actually write an ending as opposed to hammering one out in 30 minutes. I also need to hint at The Devil Went Down to Georgia more in advance. Perhaps have a propaganda broadcast from Red Market.

From the moment I finished Supermarket Asylum, I intended to shoot for a trilogy. The problem, of course, was to make weird stuff work, regardless of the pictures. I've got a trick up my sleeve yet to come, and I hope it works out.

Oh, and I do want to play up the 'supermarket' aspect more, because I've been reading "Otherland," which has virtual reality, and I want to make sure I don't just mimic that book's style.

Berandor

lunatic
Where are the pics? :eek:

Is it my fault? Sorry, I thought it was clear I'm okay with a thursday posting no matter what.

I'm really sorry. :(

Now post pics :D

Edit: Friday posting is fine, as well.

Remove ads