Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - We have a winner.

It was a very fun competition. When on a tight schedule, things never work out quite as you hope, but I'm still proud of the stories I wrote. I'll say, though, that I agree with the judges on all counts, including the winner. Top-notch story, B.

I'm just surprised no one mentioned that my protagonist's name, pronounced phonetically, is Chosen One. *grin*

Thank you to the judges, the other contestants, and to all the readers who came by and hopefully had a good time.

Berandor

lunatic
Honestly, I didn't think it'd end this way, so I'm very, very happy :)

Thank you to the judges for their hard work, and to BSF for his double hard work, of course. I would also like to thank my agent, Donald L. Basingstoke, esq., and my lawyer, John Witherton-Smith from Downward, Torrance, Witherton-Smith and Turnpike. :) But seriously, thanks a lot to judge and jury!

I think the three-way first round is a nice idea, because even when one competitor has to drop out, there's still a competition possible. I had the impression that a lot of those first-rounders dropped off afterwards, as the thread got quieter and quieter, but that could be due to other reasons than the big first round (RangerWickett's injury and my heavy workload, for example, that pushed the contest back a week).

I think the extra judge is a very good idea, and should be used henceforth, if more consequently to ensure a smooth contest, i.e. if you have three judgements after a set timeframe (say, four days), you put them up, and the fourth judge can give his comments seperately.

I think BSF did fine with the pictures, too. Of course, there were one or two I couldn't really work with, but that's par for the course for Ceramic DM and not a feature of this particular showrunner.

Comments, as usual, were extremely helpful and competent. I don't know whether BSF had been a judge before, but we had at least two novices in the judging seat, and it went very well. Often I found myself nodding in agreement with the judges, or cursing under my breath that some weakness of mine had not gone undetected. Curse you! :)

The competition was also very strong. Even though this time there was no story that completely, totally floored me from beginning to end, there was also not one that I really thought a klunker. And the latter are more usual than the first, so I'm not complaining. An extremely good showing this time around. Of course, RangerWickett made it to the finals, so here's to you and your meta-commentating Nigerian spam mail Chosen One! :)

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
Not that you think I forgot something...
RangerWickett said:
Thank you to (snip) all the readers who came by and hopefully had a good time.
Pfshhh. Who cares for the readers? :D

(Yeah, I hope you were entertained, as well, and now I've got Robbie Williams's "Let Me Entertain You" stuck in my head. RW got his revenge, it seems.)

Berandor

lunatic
Oh, and (three posts in a row), I don't want to forget a very special thank you to all those who commented on my stories outside of jury duty, especially the extremely help- and insightful Hellefire for his lengthy discussion of my first entry. It helped a *lot*.

Macbeth said:
Whew. I enjoyed judging a lot, thanks to everybody for giving me the chance to give something back to Ceramic DM.

Likewise. And hopefully I've gained some insights into the judging process that will make me a better competitor :cool:

BSF

Explorer
Yes, what an interesting experience! I found that my perspective as judge and as idle commentator was different. As a commentator I have always been happy to read the stories without thinking overly much which story was _better_. But as a judge, I had to decide which story I liked better. It was very interesting to quantify the things I liked/disliked and what criteria I think a good Ceramic DM story should include. The next time I write as a competitor, my outlook is going to be a little different!

Remove ads