Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - We have a winner.

BSF

Explorer
reveal said:
Congrats Berandor! :D

So when's the next Ceramic DM, since it's already Summer? ;)

This is a good question! I would love to have the opportunity to run another one. But I think I had better wait until the SAP implementation I am working on is complete.

Perhaps Mythago will be ready to run one soon? Does everyone think before or after Gen Con?

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
This is a good question! I would love to have the opportunity to run another one. But I think I had better wait until the SAP implementation I am working on is complete.

Perhaps Mythago will be ready to run one soon? Does everyone think before or after Gen Con?
I'd say after. I'm going to be in Glassgow and then London starting tomorrow through Aug 14th, and then I have to move back to school before the 21st. For me, after GenCon is certainly better.

Berandor

lunatic
After GenCon is best, I think, and while I don't know mythago's plans, I hope I'll run this show once before your second term in office :)

Berandor

lunatic
oh, and can someone help me understand these three references?

BardStephenFox said:
But the way Michael's resurgent imagination intertwined the physical kung-fu with the verbal judo was superb. Very Walter Mitty,

It has a Rod Serling vibe that I needed to see before I understood.

Is this going into some Rip Van Winkle thing?

Walter Mitty was a fictional character with a vivid imagination. I can't believe you've not heard of him after reading your story.

Rod Serling was the host of the Twilight Zone, the canonical 'wierd things' TV show.

Rip Van Winkle was a character in a fable who fell asleep and slept for 20 years, only to be reawakened and amazed at how the world had changed.

Last edited:

Eeralai

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Walter Mitty was a fictional character with a vivid imagination. I can't believe you've not heard of him after reading your story.

Well, he probably wasn't forced to read it before graduation like most people in the states are ;) He can be the James Thurber of Germany!

Berandor

lunatic
Well, there's a difference in how you perceive fiction that you have to read for school and such that you read on your own. for example, I'm not a great fan of Salinger, whereas I read Goethe on my own and... well, hated it, but the point still stands :)

I think the fact that I haven't read "Mitty" (I'm printing the story right now, though) has more to do with other things:
- In Germany, short stories are not held in big regard, seen mostly as a stepping stone on the way to greater things, so you don't treat them very extensively in school
- Furthermore, it takes a while for English lessons to contain literature other than school-book-prose (being a foreign language and all)
- Finally, most of what you have to read for school is by design some "important" piece of literature that may, in fact, be not very good or at least hasn't aged well. I guess that's so those who like to read can continue to feel superior to those who don't, as not many pupils are inclined to read more after "Effi Briest".

Remove ads