• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenge: Pure core wizard melee combatant

Ilium

First Post
Ok, weird challenge for everybody. Make a character whose levels are ALL in wizard (or sorcerer, I suppose) but make him as effective as possible in melee. I've taken a shot at it, of course, but I'm sure EN Worlders can do better if they try. Here are the conditions that I used:

12th level wizard (or sorcerer)
Core books/SRD only
No psionics (just to clarify since they are OGC)
No magic items

How effective in melee can you make this character with unlimited buff time casting only his own spells?
How effective can you make him with NO buff or preparation time?
How about with one round of prep time?

Of course I picked 12th level because it gives you access to Tenser's Transformation (so does 11th level, but I wanted the extra feat).

What I came up with was a character who, with 2-3 rounds of buff time, has a 28 AC and a full attack of +19/+19/+14/+9 with a spiked chain. He does a very modest 2d4+3 damage, but has the improved trip and improved disarm feats.

With no preparation or buff in place he has an AC of 13, a full attack of +11/+6 (still not bad for a wizard with no buffs or magic items, but that AC will get him killed quick).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Ilium said:
With no preparation or buff in place he has an AC of 13, a full attack of +11/+6 (still not bad for a wizard with no buffs or magic items, but that AC will get him killed quick).

Unless you took Dodge (which is not all opponents anyway), I suspect that you created an Elf with a 14 DEX that went to 16.

If so, this is a mistake since CON is more important than DEX for this type of build. A Dwarf is much better than an Elf since he can survive more in the unbuffed state. CHA is a blow off stat for the Wizard, CON is not. And, Darkvision, +4 versus Trips, and +1 versus spells helps a lot as well.

green slime

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Unless you took Dodge (which is not all opponents anyway), I suspect that you created an Elf with a 14 DEX that went to 16.

If so, this is a mistake since CON is more important than DEX for this type of build. A Dwarf is much better than an Elf since he can survive more in the unbuffed state. CHA is a blow off stat for the Wizard, CON is not. And, Darkvision, +4 versus Trips, and +1 versus spells helps a lot as well.

Or.... as a Human spent 10 points in Dex with PB anyway.

Thanee

First Post
Here's a really simple one...

12th-level Sorcerer polymorphed into Twelve-headed Hydra.

Spells running: Mage Armor, Shield, Mirror Image :)D), False Life, Haste, Stoneskin, Polymorph, Tenser's Transformation.

AC 33

Full Attack: +19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19 melee (2d8+8)

Bye
Thanee

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just for clarity's sake- I don't use the SRD- so are you basically talking PHB only or are you including the Complete series of books? I ask becaus Psionics isn't in the PHB, but you took the time and effort to explicitly exclude Psionics.

If the other books are permisso, I'd definitly go down the road my current PC is travelling, to whit: a Large Great Axe (or Greatsword, if you prefer) with Monkey Grip/Powerful build (DM is still unclear as to which my PC has in his campaign). For that matter, since its a pure spellcaster build, might as well make that weapon an oversized Jovar (3d6 18-20/x2). That Jovar's damage will be further boosted with Enlarge, & T's Transformation will ensure the weapon gets used to maximum efficacy.

For a further refinement- if your Mage was in the Forgotten Realms, that Jovar should be made of magically tempered gold or platinum, burning a feat for Heavy Weapon Proficiency: Jovar. The base damage for a regular Jovar would be pumped from d6's to d8's, Large sizing it would boost it to 3 of them, and Enlarge would further pump the weapon's base damage.

(Footnote: Psionic Enlarge lets you boost size two categories, so if THAT were allowed...)

Edit: I know this isn't quite in the same league as the polymorph idea, but not only is the guy going to do well in combat, he'll get a lot of fun out of his use of the Whirling Blade spell, which lets the caster throw a slashing weapon that attacks all of the targets within the spell's area of effect...which I cunningly alter with Sculpt Spell for maximum efficacy. Lots of fun!

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Just for clarity's sake- I don't use the SRD- so are you basically talking PHB only or are you including the Complete series of books? I ask becaus Psionics isn't in the PHB, but you took the time and effort to explicitly exclude Psionics.

SRD = PHB, DMG, MM, XPH.

So no Complete Books, Planar Handbook, or Campaign Setting and associated books. Just the four above.

Thanee

First Post
Core books/SRD only - PHB/DMG/MM.

No psionics was specified, since they have been added to the SRD. They are not Core, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads