• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenging my high-lvl group (NPCs and monsters; my players shouldn't read this!)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I did - was away for weekend, and things are chaotic. Not ignoring you or this thread, but I'm emceeing the ENnies this week at GenCon and am making sure that all my ducks are in a row for that. :)

warcabbit

First Post
Oh, that's just fine. This was simply the first time I used the Enworld 'send mail to people' system, and wasn't entirely sure it was functional.

Have fun!

frankthedm

First Post
Hill Giant: Advanced and changed feets.

Rock Lobber tribe Hill Giant- Steel skinned-lobber[war4]
Size/Type:Large Giant
Hit Dice: 16d8+ 64=136
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. in full plate armor (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armor Class: 28 (-1 size, +0 Dex, +9 natural, +2 large wooden shield [door]+8 full plate armor), touch 9, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple:+13/+24
Attack :Greatsword +19 melee (3d6+10) or slam +19 melee (1d4+7) or rock +14 ranged (2d6+7 19-20 crit) or masterwork throwing rock +15 ranged (2d6+8 19-20 crit)
Full Attack: Greatsword +19/+14/+7 melee (3d6+10) or 2 slams +17 melee (1d4+7) or rock +14 /+9/+4 ranged (2d6+8 19-20 crit) or masterwork throwing rock +15/+10/+5 ranged (2d6+8 19-20 crit)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, rock catching
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +5, Will +8
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +7, Jump +7, Listen +4, Spot +11
Feats: point blank shot [ 1hd} {far shot [240’ rock increment]{3hd} Weapon Focus (thrown rock){6hd}, quickdraw{9hd} improved critical [thrown rock]{12hd} Iron will{15HD}
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard, plus reinforced bags, 6 masterwork throwing rocks 50lb each & 6 or more normal rocks 50 lb each 2 potions of See invisibility in dagger hilt vials.
Alignment: Often chaotic evil
Note on loads: Up to 400lb Light, 800lb medium 1200max.

Rock Lobber tribe Hill Giant- Boss hurl [war10]
Size/Type:Large Giant
Hit Dice: 12d8+36 +10d8+30 =(171hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. in full plate (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armor Class: 32(-1 size, +1 Dex, +9 natural, +3 large wooden shield [door]+9 full plate armor), touch 9, flat-footed 31
Base Attack/Grapple:+19/+28 [str +8 dex+1
Attack: Masterwork Greatsword +29 melee (3d6+12) or slam +28 melee (1d4+7) or rock +21 ranged (2d6+8 19-20 crit) or masterwork throwing rock +22 ranged (2d6+7 19-20 crit)
Masterwork Greatsword +29 /+24/+19/+14 melee (3d6+12) or 2 slams +28 melee (1d4+7) or rock +21 /+16/ +11 /+6 ranged (2d6+8 19-20 crit) or masterwork throwing rock +22/+17/+12/+7 ranged (2d6+7 19-20 crit)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, rock catching
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +7, Will +10
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +8, Jump +8, Listen +4, Spot +17
Feats: point blank shot {1hd}, far shot [240’ rock increment]{3hd} Weapon Focus (thrown rock){6hd}, quickdraw{9hd} improved critical [thrown rock]{12hd} Iron will {15} precise shot [18] rapid shot{21}
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard, +1 giant sized full plate, +1 giant sized large wooden shield, +1 returning dwarf bane boulder plus reinforced bags, 6 masterwork throwing rocks 50lb each & 6 or more normal rocks 50 lb each
Alignment: Often chaotic evil
Note on loads: Up to 400lb Light, 800lb medium 1200max.

Last edited:

Karrde723

First Post
Some ideas

I haven't read all of the ideas here but here are a few.

1. If I remember correctly, there was a room in Kodali's Retreat that looked out over worlds/planes that were being destroyed. Well what if the current world that was dying had information or powerful people on it that had actually witnessed the worms destruction/imprisonment. This'll make the PCs race against time to get to the plane, get the information, and get off before the whole world is destroyed. And with a plethora of monsters and desperate inhabitants trying to escape the world's destruction, it should make for an interesting adventure.

2. It wasn't two worms that escaped, it was three. The first two were sealed away by the valient heroes of old (Defenders of Spira?). All but one of the heroes died in the binding of the worms but then the third worm surfaced. Following an epic struggle, the sole surviving hero (a wizard, the first maybe?) uses his magic to bind the worm in his spellbook, but also bound himself in the process. So the PCs find it through any number of quests that have already been mentioned here and they have a first hand account of fighing the worms. Of course if you really want to be rat bastardy, you could have the trapped worm pretend to be the hero and trick the PCs into freeing him from the book. Or you could just have the hero try to convince the heroes not to try to stop the worms, recounting the gory, soul-crushing deaths of his fellow heroes in their fight against the worms, creating the threat of this being the FINAL adventure of the Defenders of Daybreak. This could also give the PCs an insight into what the worms might be planning, especially if they speak to the trapped worm, and thus lead into PCat's plan for what the worms are really doing. (It could also be a chance to give Agar an artifact of his very own.)

3. Maybe the worms CAN'T be destroyed, not even by the gods. Maybe two worms will always exist to eventually bring about the end of the world. The only thing the PCs can do is delay the worms by reimprisoning them. This is only for two of the worms though, so if the worms are breeding then they lose thier invulnerability until all but two of their kind are slain. This way, the worms can still be beaten by the PCs in combat, but there's still a plausible reason why they have such reputations as tough SOBs (cause they are when there're only two of 'em).

Anyways those are just a few of the ideas I can think of right now (hopefully at least one of them is new).

Karrde

Oh and I just wanted to say fantastic storyhour PCat, it's one of the best fantasy stories I've read in years (including many books). I only found this Story Hour last week and I've already read everything since the pirate ambush back in Eversink.

Kaodi

Hero
Where Art Thou, Oh Three-Legged Kitty?

Once again I take up the mantle of the Threadbearer and invoke the awesome power of the
~\//\ BUMP /\\/~ !

Corbert

Explorer
Help. I know this question has been asked before, but not by me ;) . Where can I find the Rider of the Flame prestige class that Nolin had from being joined with a Phoenix? I'm considering letting a player in my game take it, but I have to review it to see if it fits first.

Karrde723 said:
3. Maybe the worms CAN'T be destroyed, not even by the gods. Maybe two worms will always exist to eventually bring about the end of the world. The only thing the PCs can do is delay the worms by reimprisoning them. This is only for two of the worms though, so if the worms are breeding then they lose thier invulnerability until all but two of their kind are slain. This way, the worms can still be beaten by the PCs in combat, but there's still a plausible reason why they have such reputations as tough SOBs (cause they are when there're only two of 'em).

If you want to be a real bastard then you make it that the last two cannot be slain but that does not automatically mean the two oldest ones. Sure that is what everyone will think that the two origional worms cannot be slain but the truth is as they breed they spread out their soul and then as they are killed off that soul becomes more concentrated in the remaining ones. So finally when only two are left those two are unkillable.

Of course the two eldest worms are the smartest and know this fact. So they make very sure they are never attackable unless the heroes have killed all of the other worms.

This could lead to a very odd final battle where the heroes encounter the last 4 worms only to see with confusion two of the worms quickly slay the other two.

Spatzimaus

First Post
No, this isn't a bump. How dare anyone suggest that. What this is the 1300th post in the thread. I like round numbers, and figured it could use it.

I also like pie. Mmmm, pie.

Remove ads