D&D (2024) Change in Charisma Description

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Hardly. It's 4 pages in. Let me go look at the OP.

Edit: Yep, every example would still be valid, OP just wants beauty to be mentioned as part of it.

Thread capping when I agree with the OP?? lol
99% sure your intent to have a discussion is disingenuous.

Scribe

Legend
99% sure your intent to have a discussion is disingenuous.

The irony that I am the one threadcapping, when from the gun everyone took the OP the wrong way. Carry on with your scarred up pirate, it was never at risk.

Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One may find a dragon beautiful, another not. Yet the dragon has the same charisma to both.
Until one brings in the rather obvious idea of Charisma being different based on species preference.

A Beholder, for example, might be Charisma 15 when dealing with other Beholders but come across as Charisma 6 when dealing with anyone else. (for game purposes its Cha would count as 6)

This becomes more relevant when dealing with PC-playable species who culturally don't always get along and-or who generally find another species more or less attractive than their own. A Dwarf might be Cha 18 in the eyes of other Dwarves but come across as 16 at best when trying to negotiate with a room full of snooty Elves and other non-Dwarves. (the game would count the Dwarf as Cha 16, species-adjusted down from the 18 that was rolled there)

On an individual level, sure - a person might run into someone with Cha 18 and be thoroughly put off, while that same person's best friend might only be Cha 9; that just comes under people gonna people.
I also know people who are very fair of face and form but just damned annoying to deal with. They don't have Charisma, even though they have beauty.
Same here; and to me those people would have, if statted out for game purposes, an average Cha score made up of two rather extreme elements.

I remember one person I knew - I've never known anyone better at making a good first impression, and at the same time never known anyone worse at making a good second impression.

If they were split out, that person's scores would have been about Comeliness 18, Charisma 6. Combined, the net result was about an 12, i.e. only marginally above average.

Clint_L

Hero
I've yet to see anyone offer an argument for what is gained by mandated physical beauty as part of charisma rather than continuing to let that be player preference.

If you can't answer that question, then you have no argument for changing the rules.

So what would this change do to make the game better?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
99% sure the op is not saying it must only be physical beauty.

Simply to add it as one of the attributes.

Which of course is controversial because reasons. lol
If OP is suggesting that beauty should be able to be a part of your character’s charisma if you want it to be, but it doesn’t have to, then what they’re suggesting isn’t a change because that’s already the case. If that isn’t what they’re suggesting, then what are they suggesting?

Scribe

Legend
If OP is suggesting that beauty should be able to be a part of your character’s charisma if they want it to be, but it doesn’t have to, then what they’re suggesting isn’t a change because that’s already the case. If that isn’t what they’re suggesting, then what are they suggesting?

My reading (which clearly must be wrong if my statements are so controversial) is that the OP just wants a call out of physical attractiveness, as part of/a possible source of, the description and application of Charisma.

It is not saying, that one must be a bombshell knockout, to have 18 Charisma, but again, I must certainly be misunderstanding.

Remove ads