• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Changes from the playtest: Combat

To be clear, only Psikerlord# is complaining about this, Olgar, and his chosen point of complaint is pretty hilariously off, which is what we are showing.

Ah, fair enough.

I don't see that the specific mechanic is particularly broken; or at least not any more than the entire system which unbalances at high levels. It may not be entirely fair to judge high level play by the basic rules, though.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm kinda glad Coup de Grace is removed, if only because it's the most mispronounced term in D&D evar (got tired of saying "koo-day-grahs, you fools, not coop-day-grah") :)

DonAdam

Explorer
Action surge isn't overpowered.

But 8 attacks with a 2d6 great sword rerolling 1's and 2's will be incredibly annoying.

Here's hoping they have a deadly strike option in the DMG for those of us that dislike multi-attacks.

Agamon

Adventurer
Action surge isn't overpowered.

But 8 attacks with a 2d6 great sword rerolling 1's and 2's will be incredibly annoying.

Yeah iterative attacks in 3e shoots steam out my ears, and this is shades of that. But high level D&D has never worked for me before, in any edition, so if it somehow did this time around, I would would have been genuinely surprised. So no biggie.

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah iterative attacks in 3e shoots steam out my ears, and this is shades of that. But high level D&D has never worked for me before, in any edition, so if it somehow did this time around, I would would have been genuinely surprised. So no biggie.

While annoying, you have a few mitigating factors.

1.) All attacks are at the same attack bonus. No remembering which attack bonus goes with which attack.

2.) No confirming critical hits.

Its a lot easier to make 8 attacks at +10 (for 2d6+5, reroll 1/2) than it is to make +22/+18/+13/+8 for 2d6+12.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
While annoying, you have a few mitigating factors.

1.) All attacks are at the same attack bonus. No remembering which attack bonus goes with which attack.

2.) No confirming critical hits.

Its a lot easier to make 8 attacks at +10 (for 2d6+5, reroll 1/2) than it is to make +22/+18/+13/+8 for 2d6+12.

This is true. Less buff spells helps, too. I'm not writing it off, untried. Just keeping a wary eye and making sure any campaign I run that reaches into the higher levels can be ended in a session, if necessary. Quick combat is a must for me. :)

Can't wait for the DMG module where PCs actually die. Anyway, this is one of the places where the rules have been lacking for me since the beginning, and I have no problem houseruling (I enjoy it a lot, in fact).

Agamon

Adventurer
Can't wait for the DMG module where PCs actually die.

I've killed 2 PCs in 4 sessions in my playtest game, using suggested encounter building techniques. And now it looks like most of the monsters are far scarier in the release. So, yeah, I don't think I'll be using that module. :)

I've killed 2 PCs in 4 sessions in my playtest game, using suggested encounter building techniques. And now it looks like most of the monsters are far scarier in the release. So, yeah, I don't think I'll be using that module. :)

We have three deaths in the last six months. As a DM that used to run 2E without the optional "hovering at death's door" rule, you can imagine that I'm used to more than that, but having no rule to automatically kill a downed opponent is just weird. In my games, anyone that falls to 0 and suffers a direct attack will die instantly, and I won't even call it a houserule... :)

Remove ads