Changes to Sorcerer!

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Changes to Sorcerer!

Oni said:
You say that tinkering with the sorcerer class will corrupt the balance of the game, and I agree there is that potential however in regards to the changes I made what would you view as unbalancing. So rather than just say that it is not balanced, I would find it helpful if you could explain why.

Hello Oni!

Yes, i apologize, i was a bit fast with my answer and after all not constructive at all. basically all i wanted to say (and then forgot to .) was: "if you make all those changes, why should a player of yours want to play a wiz any more?"
So, here is my opinion on the changes you did.

xp cost in exchange for the more expensive ingredients - i think this is good, actually. Not knowing the right catalysts mages learn in their studies will make the spell itself more fatiguing. however you will have to have an eye on your sorcerers while DMing, since even if you strip them naked, they will still be able to cast most of their spells, strip a mage and he will most likely be in serious trouble. See the difference?

The +5 to DC vs spellcraft - well, in my opinion it is plain too high. I mean a +5 equals 5 skillpoints (meaning a whole level!) or a stat-difference of 10(!) - wouldn't a +2 do it? Or the other take would be: if the sorcerer has some long-time rival - wouldn't it be easier for that rival to find out, what the sorc was up to? especially since he knows his "signature"?! I mean i like the take you do here, bringing in more personality. Maybe you should have a look at the thread about sorcerer's spells chosen after the char-concept (got no linke here, sorry!) - you might just like the discussion there. And then i have this unnerving question again: what do other primary spellcasters get in exchange, especially the wiz? (and yes, i prefer wizzies, of course .)

Last: Class-skills: i agree with KaptainKantrip, remove at least listen and add something more social. Listen/spot just has the feel of "well, adventurers _need_ those ..." so what? Having a talent for magic doesn't have to make one a great spotter :)

So, i hope this was a bit more in the right direction :)

Dougal DeKree, Gnomish Illusionist

Remove ads