D&D 5E Changing Character Mid-Campaign

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Whatsup guys!
Need some help picking a Class/Subclass for a new character mid-campaign.

- My D&D Background:
Intermediate Player: Played 3 incomplete 3.5e campaigns (Barbarian, Melee Ranger and Warblade) and 2 incomplete 5e (Vengeance Paladin and Tempest Cleric). Maybe I played like 40 sessions overall.

- Situation:
Last year, I started playing Curse of Strahd with my friend and I rolled as Tempest Cleric.
However, we ended up "pausing" the campaign like we always do... due to lack of time, work/life problems.
Our DM is thinking about resuming the campaign soon, but Im not happy with my level 5 Cleric. Even though I have a damage-oriented build, the party sees me as a healbot.
So I wanna change my Character, make a new one.. New Class and everything.
*EDIT: The DM decided not to continue the Curse of Stradh campaign. Instead, he will choose a new campaign. So the players are gonna create brand new players lvl1.

I need some help making this new Character. For starters, picking my new Class/Subclass.
I'll list my preferences so you guys can make your suggestions based on them:

• Classes I dislike: Ranger (dont like the theme), Druid (dont like the theme), Cleric (no healbots for now on haha), Bard (seems overwhelming and Im kinda shy for a bard playstyle).
  • I like Damage Dealer Classes, not "support-oriented" (healers or buffers).
  • Im not the most active RP player, but not the worst either. Middle of the pack, I guess.
  • Maybe a Class that I wont be overwhelmed as an intermediate player.
  • Trying to choose a Class that is balanced like: combat (50%), social (25%) and exploration (25%).
  • Cool tricks/moves are also appreciated. Trying not to pick a dull/boring Class. Little bit of flavor on it!

Which Class/Subclass do you suggest me to roll?

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sounds like you should go with a high-elf Fighter, and choose the Battle Master subclass. The race will give you a free cantrip for some ranged attacks that scale with your level, a +2 to Dex is never a bad idea, and the subclass will give you a variety of cool tricks to do in battle. And best of all, nobody will ever mistake you for a "healbot."

Shiroiken

Legend
First I'd check with your DM and make sure he's cool with it. While it's been a while, the DM will have to decide how to introduce you, or if to just ret-con the campaign.

As far as what you're looking for: I'd suggest either a rogue or paladin. Rogue can give you some serious DPR with sneak attack, as well as having lots of skills for exploration and/or social interactions. Paladin might be best because while you're still more combat focused (smiting FTW), your Lay on Hands feature will provide some of the healing the party is losing (also Cha makes for decent social interactions). Sub-class for Rogue is probably best with Swashbuckler or Mastermind from XGtE. Paladin might consider Vengeance, but meta suggests Devotion might be better for Turn Undead.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
Whatsup guys!
Need some help picking a Class/Subclass for a new character mid-campaign.

- My D&D Background:
Intermediate Player: Played 3 incomplete 3.5e campaigns (Barbarian, Melee Ranger and Warblade) and 2 incomplete 5e (Vengeance Paladin and Tempest Cleric). Maybe I played like 40 sessions overall.

- Situation:
Last year, I started playing Curse of Strahd with my friend and I rolled as Tempest Cleric.
However, we ended up "pausing" the campaign like we always do... due to lack of time, work/life problems.
Our DM is thinking about resuming the campaign soon, but Im not happy with my level 5 Cleric. Even though I have a damage-oriented build, the party sees me as a healbot.
So I wanna change my Character, make a new one.. New Class and everything.

I need some help making this new Character. For starters, picking my new Class/Subclass.
I'll list my preferences so you guys can make your suggestions based on them:

• Classes I dislike: Ranger (dont like the theme), Druid (dont like the theme), Warlock (dont like the theme), Cleric (no healbots for now on haha), Bard (seems overwhelming and Im kinda shy for a bard playstyle).
  • I like Damage Dealer Classes, not "support-oriented" (healers or buffers).
  • Im not the most active RP player, but not the worst either. Middle of the pack, I guess.
  • Maybe a Class that I wont be overwhelmed as an intermediate player.
  • Trying to choose a Class that is balanced like: combat (50%), social (25%) and exploration (25%).
  • Cool tricks/moves are also appreciated. Trying not to pick a dull/boring Class. Little bit of flavor on it!

Which Class/Subclass do you suggest me to roll?
I vote no class change. I think you should stick with the cleric you have and make it better. Your party needs a healer and for better or worse you are it. Maybe changing your character around a bit is okay, but to reroll your class now is unacceptable.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think you should keep your character, and refuse to be their healbot. No other player has a right to demand that another player build a character to support them. You're not their healer, and for better or worse you didn't set out to play a healer so just because you have a class that can heal doesn't obligate you to play it that way.

We played a whole hardcover campaign with a cleric who I think did one healing spell in 11 levels on someone. 5e has plentiful self-healing.

I agree with the "no healing" crowd. Stick with the Tempest cleric and simply declare that your god doesn't grant healing spells - he wishes only for the storm to rage! (or whatever)

You can even ask the DM to back you up. 'try' to cast a healing spell and the DM can narrate a 1hp shock coming from your fingers, and the distant rumble of an angry deity.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I am actually saying he should keep his Cleric and agree to help his party through healing. That is the Cleric's primary job! Everyone in the party has an important role to play. He should accept his very important role.

Dausuul

Legend
It sounds as if paladin would be right up your alley. Paladins can blast out single-target damage like nobody's business while also soaking it up; they have enough spells and Channel Divinity options to give them a fair array of combat tricks; and having Cha as a secondary stat means they have decent social skills. A bit weaker on exploration, but Str as a primary stat will give you a good Athletics at least. And nobody ever went wrong playing a paladin in Curse of Strahd. :)

Battlemaster fighter is also very good. Make a Dex-oriented build if you want more stealth and out-of-combat utility, Str-oriented if you want more tanking.

Alternatively, if you'd rather not be a tank, a red dragon sorcerer or an evocation wizard would let you stand in the back and rain destruction. The sorcerer has good social options, the wizard is master of utility. They require a bit more skill to play, but you've already played a cleric so it shouldn't be overwhelming.

mortwatcher

Explorer
I am actually saying he should keep his Cleric and agree to help his party through healing. That is the Cleric's primary job! Everyone in the party has an important role to play. He should accept his very important role.

No, just so much no on this approach. Players should be playing what they want to play, not what the other perceive their class as.

as to the OP, rogue might be good for you, they fair pretty well in combat, and with expertise you can boost your social/exploration capabilities quite easily. If you go the arcane trickster route, there is plenty of tricks to be had as well

Vitor Bastos

Explorer

I get what you are saying, but the issue here is that DnD is not a job.. I should be having fun with it, and being a healbot is not fun for me. Also, the whole "religion" background seemed like a good idea at first but ended up being something boring and repetitive.
And if I change classes and my entire party dies, I wont feel responsible because I never signed up to be nobody's babysitter. The group has a monk, a fighter, a sorcerer and a thief. The moment we started the campaign I told them that my Cleric was Damage-focused. The heals should be "emergency-only" situations. But the way they build their Characters, they simply ignored self-sustain and kept asking me to heal. The DM also brought up that "Curse of Strahd is a hard and merciless camapaign, everybody should have ways to heal themselves"... I was the only one that really heard him and Im probably the only one that is feeling bored of their own character. FML haha

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases