Chaos at Disney (Battle of the Bobs)

JEB

Legend
Apparently people are not just not signing up for new services, but they're cutting out the ones they've had for years. For a certain chunk of the population, streaming channels were for the social distancing era.
So there was a substantial segment of folks who didn't do streaming before the pandemic, only took it up during, and are now... what, reverting back to regular TV? Done with watching scripted/episode entertainment on screens entirely?

I would have bet on folks just cutting back to one or a few favorite services - a trend that would have likely favored Disney+/Hulu - but dropping streaming altogether is an interesting development.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My family hasn't had cable in almost 10 years, but apparently there's a bunch of people who kept cable and then added streaming on top of that and now are cutting back on the streaming.

More importantly, most of these streaming services are money losers. Just like websites before the dotcom crash, there was an expectation that eventually they would all make money, after the corporations poured dump trucks of cash into them. But "someday" is now here with an imminent global recession and, in the case of Discovery/HBO, a leveraged buyout meaning the company has a ton of debt and has to cut costs ASAP.

aco175

Legend
The internet just let me down. I wanted to post a meme from the movie Clear and Present Danger when President Harrison Ford says, "The course of action I would suggest is a course of action I cannot suggest." but found nothing. My day just started, I should just go home now.

Scribe

Legend
So there was a substantial segment of folks who didn't do streaming before the pandemic, only took it up during, and are now... what, reverting back to regular TV? Done with watching scripted/episode entertainment on screens entirely?
I watch some of the stream shows with my wife, but otherwise it's just live sports I miss in a post cable life.

I don't even know what would be on cable.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I watch some of the stream shows with my wife, but otherwise it's just live sports I miss in a post cable life.

I don't even know what would be on cable.
I still have cable because Im a sports fan (NFL/NHL) and cutting the cord would actually cost me more money. Though, cable still includes FX (Hulu stuff), USA/SYFY (Peacock stuff), AMC (whoever buys the stream license stuff) Paramount network (P+ stuff).

The downside is you have to watch as the series air (unless you have DVR). Eventually, the on demand expires and the stuff goes to the stream catalogs. Though you can catch quite a few of these series as they launch albeit with commercial interruption.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I posted a separate thread on this because I ended up writing a lot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The downside is you have to watch as the series air (unless you have DVR).

Generally, if you have a cable subscription to a channel, you get access to the streaming catalogs. I haven't yet cut my cable, but I can watch NBC's/Syfy streaming services on my Roku for no extra money, for example.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Generally, if you have a cable subscription to a channel, you get access to the streaming catalogs. I haven't yet cut my cable, but I can watch NBC's/Syfy streaming services on my Roku for no extra money, for example.
Some of it, yeah, Though the AMC and Hulu stuff definitely has an expiration date with my cable sub.

Remove ads