D&D 5E Character Advice - Acquisitions INC

My DM is starting a new campaign using Acquisitions INC. We have started with a Tavern and we will be a branch of the original Corporation and we are supposed to go out to the wilderness to take control of an abandoned keep that will be along a trade route that will give Merchants access to trade.

I'm an occasional player in the game so I thought I'd play a Druid who runs a restaurant, with the goal of making it 'the place' to travel to eat amazing food. The idea is he adventures to collect 'exotic local ingredients'. It gives me an excuse to do adventures and then run back to 'home base' to invent wondrous recipes.

Obviously, cooking Tools are a must but I need advice on Feats, race, background etc... I liked the idea of a Half-Orc Druid and My DM was allowing me +2 Con +1 Wisdom boost on a half-orc chassis(instead of +2 STR) but I'm waffling between that and Variant Human.

We start at 3rd lvl.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Half-orc and you're vegan as is your restaurant. Everyone knows you're vegan because that's the first thing you tell people upon meeting them. Insufferably vegan would be ideal in my view.

Check out XGtE p. 80-81 if you haven't already. It gives some options for combining skill proficiencies with cooks utensils. If your DM uses these rules, it may give you some ideas on skill proficiency choices. In a game like my next campaign, taking Survival and having Cooks Utensils would impart advantage on Foraging while traveling, provided you were looking for food and not trade goods.

Maestrino

Explorer
Depends on what sources your DM is allowing, but Firbolg or Loxodon would make a good druid in that vein - particularly Firbolg's "speech of beast and leaf" feature adds a lot of flavor, and +2 WIS built in is good. Loxodon's +2 CON and +1 WIS boosts are also great for a druid.

A really huge percentage of the druid spell list is concentration-based, so I'd definitely pick up War Caster as soon as possible. (Resilient CON is OK, but it only gives proficiency on CON saving throws. War Caster gives advantage on concentration checks specifically, which will do you more good keeping your spells up.)

Half-orc and you're vegan as is your restaurant. Everyone knows you're vegan because that's the first thing you tell people upon meeting them. Insufferably vegan would be ideal in my view.

Check out XGtE p. 80-81 if you haven't already. It gives some options for combining skill proficiencies with cooks utensils. If your DM uses these rules, it may give you some ideas on skill proficiency choices. In a game like my next campaign, taking Survival and having Cooks Utensils would impart advantage on Foraging while traveling, provided you were looking for food and not trade goods.

I thought about the vegan route. But it might limit adventures that require the group to hunt unique creatures. But finding rare(and deadly) mushrooms and plants works. My idea for the orc was to go exactly the opposite: EVERYTHING is in his cuisine - human barbq side Back ribs, unicorn hoof soup, Gnoll fettuccine with grated pixie wing dust etc...

Edit: Back ribs are for barbecuing...

Last edited:

See if your DM would allow the Gourmond from the Unearthed Arcana: Feats.

Yeah, I looked at that and it looked cool...but it also looks incredibly powerful. With a 16 wisdom and expertise in my tools, I'd be rolling +7, which auto-succeeds the soup. I feel that some of these abilities start stepping on the toes of some class abilities. See edit

Does anyone have any experience using this feat?

Edit: I was thinking of another feat. This one actually seems cool. The one I was talking about is in next post:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Yeah, I looked at that and it looked cool...but it also looks incredibly powerful. With a 16 wisdom and expertise in my tools, I'd be rolling +7, which auto-succeeds the soup. I feel that some of these abilities start stepping on the toes of some class abilities. See edit

Does anyone have any experience using this feat?

Edit: I was thinking of another feat. This one actually seems cool. The one I was talking about is in next post:

I have used the Gourmand UA feat on an NPC that I gave to the party once as well as played in a tongue-in-cheek game where the Sorcerer (named Guy Fury ;) ) had it and we cooked amazing and wonderous things like his name-sakes' Dragon Breath Chili

It's a fun and flavorful :ROFLMAO: feat if you can get your DM to allow it.

Go with the Guild artisan background to get those cook utensils proficiencies!

Ashrym

Legend
Go variant human and use the bonus feat for prodigy. Work with your DM to use prodigy for cooks utensils and expertise in cooks utensils.

That is a massive flavor move for the build. A person can build on the cooking prodigy and reputation to meet the goals of the campaign. Using XGtE helps with more mechanical benefits.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases