Character Builder Status

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

We apologize for the confusion - there was no announcement, just an edit of the thread title that didn't go quite right.

Last edited:

MadmanMike83

Explorer
This is what happens when one attempts to be clever. Maybe I should have put a question mark at the end of the original thread title. :p

I still maintain that "officially unofficially" is a statement that is just as intelligible and accurate as Wizards' currently available information on D&D Insider Tools.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I worry.
I don't think 4e is playable without a character builder. It just got too complex.
It bothers me that my ability to play the game is based on WotCs supporting it. So any sign of discontinuation is very alarming. I hope the tinker gnome variant makes it to the builder before it comes to a complete halt.

Mhm, considering I renewed my subscription in January for another year, I'm a bit annoyed about this. I was definitely expecting them to continue updating the Character Builder as long as there was new 4e content in Dragon.
Ask for a partial refund. Tell them to treat it like a 6 month or 3 month renewal and refund the difference. It might work.

I worry.
I don't think 4e is playable without a character builder. It just got too complex.
It bothers me that my ability to play the game is based on WotCs supporting it. So any sign of discontinuation is very alarming. I hope the tinker gnome variant makes it to the builder before it comes to a complete halt.
I disagree with this. 4e is simpler than most editions and 3e/PF, there are simply more powers to look through. Making a character without the Builder is just slower, and requires looking in a lot of books, but isn't particularly hard.

And even if they stop updates there's no reason they cannot just keep the Builder up. Maintaining and updating the resource is problematic, but just hosting the service is cheap and easy.

Oh there definitely has. Some good stuff, including hobgoblin and bladeling race write ups, a ton of racial options, etc. However it hasn't actually been updated since, I think, September 2012? Sept was rolled into Oct, then Nov, then Dec. I think so, anyway. It's all become so confusing. Then the update was promised March 19, the date passed, and then April came around, and finally the 'announcement'.
So did the hobgoblin and bladeling not make it into the Character Builder at all? Or is it just major updates?

darjr

I crit!
Mhm, considering I renewed my subscription in January for another year, I'm a bit annoyed about this. I was definitely expecting them to continue updating the Character Builder as long as there was new 4e content in Dragon.

If I remember correctly when I cancelled they let the current month lapse at the end of the month and refunded the rest of the year.

Actually now I think about it they also refunded that current month.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If I remember correctly when I cancelled they let the current month lapse at the end of the month and refunded the rest of the year.

Actually now I think about it they also refunded that current month.

Funny thing, I don't want to cancel. I want to get the value I pay for. If Wizards wants to charge me the same rate as before Next, then I want Dragon and Dungeon to have about the same page count, and I want monthly updates to the tools. If they want to provide less - magazines half to a third the size and no regular updates to the tools, then charge me less as well.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Funny thing, I don't want to cancel. I want to get the value I pay for. If Wizards wants to charge me the same rate as before Next, then I want Dragon and Dungeon to have about the same page count, and I want monthly updates to the tools. If they want to provide less - magazines half to a third the size and no regular updates to the tools, then charge me less as well.

Indeed!

Remove ads