• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder Video!

Erren

Explorer
No, not even all the HotFL races - when he clicked through "Build a Quick D&D Essentials Character" at the beginning and made a thief there was no option for Dwarf (around 1:20 in the video). Presumably because Dwarves don't have a Dex bonus. I'd imagine you can still make a Dwarf Thief if you click through "Build a Custom D&D Character" and then select "Essentials", but that wasn't shown in the video.

Max1mus

First Post
Looks pretty but where's my 3d character modeler? And where's my dungeon builder? And by the way I am fine with Wizards "holding my character hostage" on their site. I don't mind printing out a character sheet and using the old fashioned piece of paper and my brain at the gaming table.

Squire James

First Post
In the Custom Character section of the video, when selecting race, there were "suggested" listings and "other" listing. Presumably the suggestions included races with bonuses in the main ability score, so "Dwarf" would have showed up as an "other" if the Thief had been created as a Custom Character.

I guess they want you to put some effort into it if you want to deliberately nerf your character...

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
What other race options? You mean non essentials races? Probably to do that you'd need to go through the custom build area.

I understand its only the first Essentials character book. What I meant is that @1:19 he is picking his race for his thief character. The options are eladrin, elf, halfling and human. Dwarf isn't shown, and there don't appear to be scroll markers or whatnot indicating that the dwarf option just isn't on screen.

Maybe since it is a quick build it's skipping options that don't give the option of a Dex bump or some other reason, but I hope its not set up to limit sub-optimal choices.

Woops, see I got ninja'd above, twice :) That's what I get for not scrolling all the way down.

samursus

Explorer
Hate to say it (not happy with some of the decisions re the new CB) but it looks nice and smooth. Can't wait to try it out and see if I will keep my annual subscription. (Thinking of not renewing because of said changes)

Baumi

Adventurer
It look certainly fast and easy! :cool:

I hope they add all the things that are missing compared to the old CB soon, like the hombrew items/feats, Exports, etc. Also I haven't seen a Option for the Inherent Bonus which would be very important to me, but maybee it's just in a Window that wasn't show...

As soon as they added that stuff I might resubscribe again, it certainly seems promising.

By the way is there any news about the Monster Builder?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
It look certainly fast and easy! :cool:

I hope they add all the things that are missing compared to the old CB soon, like the hombrew items/feats, Exports, etc. Also I haven't seen a Option for the Inherent Bonus which would be very important to me, but maybee it's just in a Window that wasn't show...

As soon as they added that stuff I might resubscribe again, it certainly seems promising.

By the way is there any news about the Monster Builder?

With the "we showed too much too early which didn't work out" fear at wizards, i think we'll know two weeks max before it comes out. So, no.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads