• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Generator

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cool.

BTW, would you offer burning a patched e-Tools v1.2 on CD-ROM if we request such?

The question assumes I cannot find one copy of the old e-Tools collecting dust on some store shelves.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Other Character Generators

>> Does anybody know if they are gonna include 3.5 character generator software

Who are "they"? Sounds like some kind of evil conspiracy. You could check out Campaign Suite, DM Genie or Roleplaying Master. They all do character generation among other things. I don't get this idea that software "they" put out is the only thing worth looking at.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Other Character Generators

DMFTodd said:

I don't get this idea that software "they" put out is the only thing worth looking at.
It's not just software. Only some of us are willing to take a chance on printed d20 products from third-party non-WotC publishers, but hardcore D&D fans just stick to ... well, D&D and everything that Wizards published.

Last edited:

Mynex

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Cool.

BTW, would you offer burning a patched e-Tools v1.2 on CD-ROM if we request such?

The question assumes I cannot find one copy of the old e-Tools collecting dust on some store shelves.

Ranger,

CD's on demand aren't going to happen anytime soon... the problem is that it's very cost prohibitive, in monkeypower and time...

That's not to say it's been 100% ruled out down the road, but for the patch, no.

Mynex

First Post
Re: Other Character Generators

DMFTodd said:
>> Does anybody know if they are gonna include 3.5 character generator software

Who are "they"? Sounds like some kind of evil conspiracy. You could check out Campaign Suite, DM Genie or Roleplaying Master. They all do character generation among other things. I don't get this idea that software "they" put out is the only thing worth looking at.

Keep in mind, most player's don't know (and those that do, most don't give a fig) what the whole d20/OGL thing is all about...

So for most people Wizards _IS_ the only gaming company they'll deal with...

I work at a WotC store, and used to work there full time (no thankfully 1 day a week or I'd never get _anything_ done)... and I can tell you from experience, that for every _1_ person that understands the differences there's 15 that don't.

That's probably an underestimation as well... Once it was explained to them though, they went hog wild.

Publishers and software makers (you, us, tr, pcgen, etc) understand there's a difference, it _does_ matter to us...

But it just doesn't to most players... until they 'Grok' the fact that d20 means compatibility.

So that's _OUR_ job, as publishers and software makers to INFORM the public of the deal... What it means, how it works, etc... it IS getting better, but it's an uphill battle still, even after 3+ years...

erg... too much.. *gets off soapbox* Sorry 'bout that...

Luke

Explorer
3.5 Compatibility

RolePlayingmaster should have 3.5 available pretty much as soon as its available.

The idea is to have 3.0 and 3.5 available as different sources, so that you can choose between the two.

Regards,

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
So that's _OUR_ job, as publishers and software makers to INFORM the public of the deal...

Informing the public seems to be a huge job. Might it not be better to strike a business deal where "we" can become "they"? That seems like a good business strategy.

(Lest my intent does not come across in email, I mean that as a compliment to you monkeys.)

Twin Rose

First Post
DMFTodd said:

Informing the public seems to be a huge job. Might it not be better to strike a business deal where "we" can become "they"? That seems like a good business strategy.

In a way, the use of the D20 Trademark is a way of being 'they' - and it is the business deal. However, d20 doesn't always mean quality of product. Just as some d20 products are better than wotc, some are worse. Some wotc products are better than others - and no 2 people agree on any of them.

Ranger REG, for example, apparently feels uncompelled to TRY anything non-wotc. If I, on the other hand, see a product that seems to be designed around something I need in my game - I'll get it. Even saving me, say, 10 hours of my own design time is hugely important to me - my time is worth more than a couple of bucks an hour.

Software is the same way. It all comes down to the amount of time versus money someone is willing to spend. If they believe Campaign Suite, DMF, whatever can save them even a dozen hours - the cost is absorbed in time saved. Most customers report using CS on a weekly basis, saving hours upon hours - was their personal time worth the price they paid? They seem to think so.

Companies with a history of quality, good support, and friendly service are the ones that climb up the ladder, become better known, and produce higher quality works in the future - success breeds success. Those that cause people to disappoint don't see repeat business for future products, and slowly fade out.

I like to consider myself among the growing category, and it gladdens me that success has helped me to re-invest more into the product. Hiring graphics artists and designers, getting a CD run sent to retail stores, even offering a 'bounty' on data expansions all serve to better the product - and I hope that one day many people DO refer to TRS as "They".

heldenhammer

First Post
Chaz said:
Yeah 3.5 is an upgrade to the game. So to upgrade ET to 3.5 should include a small charge (and it is small ). I mean you dont expect to get the 3.5 rule books free from WotC just because you have the 3.0 ones do you? Of course not.

Argh! But people DO expect the books for free, unless all the infuriating threads about that have died off. Books aren't software. 3.5 isn't an upgrade and your campaign won't crash or become obsolete if you don't run out and get the new core books.

Last edited:

Chaz

First Post
heldenhammer to true, to true. ;)
Just because there is 3.5 doesnt mean 3.0 is invalid. Just as 2nd ed is still fine if you prefer it. And 1st ed is fine if thats your favorite version.

Remove ads