• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Character Individuality

Oofta

Legend
You do you, of course. I will say that conflict, even physical conflict, between PCs shouldn't require either or both PCs to be evil. See: the first act of every super hero team-up.
Yeah, it's just stupid when two supposed heroes start fighting each other for no good reason whatsoever and then stop fighting because both of their mothers happened to be named Martha. 😖

Thomas Shey

Legend
Am I the only one that doesnt use comic books as their template for D&D games?

I wouldn't say I'd use them as the template, but I don't actually see most fantasy fiction as being a good base for it either given how much power scale D&D has; it pretty much has always told you there's a wider range of capability and threat present than most fantasy fiction I grew up on.

(I realize you mentioned elsewhere that you've often bailed about level 12, and that's liable to color your views here.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I wouldn't say I'd use them as the template, but I don't actually see most fantasy fiction as being a good base for it either given how much power scale D&D has; it pretty much has always told you there's a wider range of capability and threat present than most fantasy fiction I grew up on.

(I realize you mentioned elsewhere that you've often bailed about level 12, and that's liable to color your views here.)
Its true, I prefer a sword and sorcery or fantasy Vietnam feel to DragonballZ or Marvel.

The question is this: to what extent are PCs allowed to be individuals both in thought and deed, with their own agendae, goals, etc. that may or may not confilct with those of other PCs?
The Baron's Rules

1) Don't be a jerk. We are here to have fun and roll dice. What we define as "fun" can certainly vary between people and times, from drama, silliness, and pathos. Do not make others regret spending their time with us. "That's what my character would do" is in no way an excuse for being a jerk to someone else or bogging the game down for everyone. Side quests are fine, but mooning the king will get everyone killed. It's not funny.

2) D&D is a team sport. If you don't cooperate the monsters will eat you. Not because I will "see to it", but because monster slaying and dungeon delving is a highly dangerous activity. Some intra-party friction is fine, but make sure it stays between characters if it develops at all. In all times save one I've experienced, direct PC vs. PC strife has lead to or come from hurt feelings or a desire to yank someone's chain one time too many.

3) Motivation is not my problem. You are choosing to play a game that involves adventure and exploration. That means choosing to play. If the party has to persuade you to go adventuring with them, find the motivation, make a different character, or go home. If there is something specific you want tell me! But, otherwise, pick a hook that interests you.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Re: sword-and-sorcery and fantasy Vietnam:
And I'm not sold mainline D&D is a particularly good choice for either of those; never was really.
Old-school D&D could (and still does) do both of these fairly well; 0e/Basic in particular for the sword-and-sorcery feel. WotC-era D&D not so much; you could kind of fake it with an E6 version of 3e but that's it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Re: sword-and-sorcery and fantasy Vietnam:

Old-school D&D could (and still does) do both of these fairly well; 0e/Basic in particular for the sword-and-sorcery feel. WotC-era D&D not so much; you could kind of fake it with an E6 version of 3e but that's it.

I got started with OD&D. I don't think either the magic items or the spell system produced that effect very well.

gnarlygninja

Explorer
I don't think this needs to be an either/or situation but if I had to pick I'd favor players playing their individual characters, both as a player and a DM. I encourage my players to have their own agendas and play complex characters whose motivations might clash with another PC, provided the clashes are interesting and they at least sort of go along with the game.
I've had some really unpleasant experiences with players who make wangrod characters who resort to PVP at the drop of the hat, but I've also had equally unpleasant experiences with groups who insist everyone should always agree with the group.

Remove ads