D&D 5E Character progression after 9

Booger44

Villager
I casually play with a larger group, although we only use published material (no unearthed arcana etc) we do start with pretty high stats (usually 3 stats 14 or above, 2 stats between 10-14, and 1 less than 10) with the only rule being that you have to create your character first. Plus we get 1 free feat at lvl 1. Our last two campaigns ended at level 11 then 14
So, for my next character I am starting as a gnome war wizard who was pretty much the school bully, beat everyone up that made fun of him because of his poor magic skills. After lvl 2 switching to 7 lvls ek fighter (bring trained by other party members) I know this is not the optimal way to start but it goes with the character better, more or less comedic relief by causing problems by verbally and physically provoking things bigger than he is. "I have a great group and already received permission to create a character that will get into some trouble"
My problem is that having a large party, we already have a theif/warlock, cleric/ranger, druid, barbarian, , and sorcerer covering almost everything we need. So I don't know where I want to go after level 9. I don't want to continue in fighter because with war wizard indomitable is less worth while and I'm not interested in the third attack. Continuing in wizard doesn't seem worth it because I'll be in melee quite often, although more sheild slots sounds tempting

Any thoughts?

Also, any suggestion for a name?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Welcome to the forum! Have a like! :)

Knowing your ability scores would help a bit, and an idea of what direction you are taking for your fighter (what focus will you magic be)?

The problem as I see it is so much overlap since half the PCs plan on MCing.

Off-hand, Bard might not be a bad addition to War Wizard 2 / Eldritch Knight 7. You can continue to develop some of your fighting (Swords maybe?) and augment your magic via the bard class. Gaining expertise could also help in skill the rogue PC doesn't already have covered.

Name ideas:
  1. Niko
  2. Hikilim
  3. Idavren
  4. Geldell
  5. Berryl

Booger44

Villager
Thank you, I feel at home already. 😁 I spent countless hours reading others threads I thought I'd create an account when I had a question.

Sadly, I can't roll up stats for Idavren until I hand in my character information. I don't even know if I'm going Dex or strength yet tbh. But I do know that I'm going to go a little further down the rabbit hole and NOT take a sheild or warcaster. I haven't had a lot of experience with Bards. I'm going to have to look them up

Aylowan

Explorer
If this were my character, I might also consider just taking more levels in wizard. I could see my tale ending up like: "Magic was difficult for me at first, because I'm a practical learner, not one of those theoretical wizards who are good at book learning. But after I gained experience with the applied aspects of magic, it comes a lot more easily to me." That could be an interesting growth story of how you gained confidence (with the help of your friends!)

Mechanically speaking, more spell slots and spells known never hurts. It also would reinforce your theme, archetype-wise -- as @DND_Reborn mentioned, finding your niche in a larger party including other multiclassed characters could be tricky.

With that being said, maybe Artificer could be another alternative, if you consider your character more of the applied-magic / tinkering / creating type. "I've used my initial training, added it to my practical adventuring experience, and combined it with my love of magic items/alchemy/whatever!" That could be a compelling contrast with a party including lots of "nature-y" type folks. On the other hand, perhaps taking a 1st level of artificer at level 10 is less useful if your campaigns typically have a lot of magic items by that point.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Like that name, huh? Good. :) It came from a name generator I made a long time ago LOL.

Bards are good "support" characters IME. You have a nice selection of spells, expertise, decent weapon selection, etc. Jack of All Trades can be useful, and don't forget you get to apply it to your initiative check!

Since you aren't planning on using a shield, I would focus more on DEX to keep your AC better, personally. As a War Wizard, your saves will be INT and WIS, so having a better DEX will support not having DEX as a saving throw proficiency. If you don't want to go with War Caster (a favorite of mine THB), I would consider Resilient for CON, since it is a common save and will help with any concentration checks.

The skill proficiency you gain when MCing is helpful as well.

Otherwise, @Aylowan makes some good points. I hadn't considered Artificer since our group doesn't use them (too OP IME). Gaining more levels of wizard is also a good suggestion.

I'd probably take Wizard up to 5, and at least to level 3 or 4. Firstly because the first 3 spell levels have lots of personal combat buff oriented spells you will want for your true calling as an Eldritch Knight, and you just won't be able to learn enough of them as an Eldritch Knight. Secondly because then you can get most of the ritual spells, which you, as a Wizard don't have to prepare to ritually cast, and that saves the Druid and Cleric from needing to prepare them. Thirdly because getting up to Wizard 5 means that you can learn Counterspell (the only other person in the group who can is presumably the Warlock, and it's a big ask of a Warlock to spend one of their two spells per rest counterspelling). Fourthly because getting up to Wizard 5 achieves the ultimate flex of the Fighter/Wizard combo in 5e: being the only guy who can chuck a Fireball, decide he likes the result but that the situation could use more Fireball, and Action Surge to chuck a second one in the same turn.

Other good directions to go are a couple Paladin levels to turn your spell slots into smites (if you have the Strength and Charisma to qualify) or two or three Rogue levels for additional damage, skill expertise, and mobility (if you have the Dexterity to qualify).

ECMO3

Hero
I casually play with a larger group, although we only use published material (no unearthed arcana etc) we do start with pretty high stats (usually 3 stats 14 or above, 2 stats between 10-14, and 1 less than 10) with the only rule being that you have to create your character first. Plus we get 1 free feat at lvl 1. Our last two campaigns ended at level 11 then 14
So, for my next character I am starting as a gnome war wizard who was pretty much the school bully, beat everyone up that made fun of him because of his poor magic skills. After lvl 2 switching to 7 lvls ek fighter (bring trained by other party members) I know this is not the optimal way to start but it goes with the character better, more or less comedic relief by causing problems by verbally and physically provoking things bigger than he is. "I have a great group and already received permission to create a character that will get into some trouble"
My problem is that having a large party, we already have a theif/warlock, cleric/ranger, druid, barbarian, , and sorcerer covering almost everything we need. So I don't know where I want to go after level 9. I don't want to continue in fighter because with war wizard indomitable is less worth while and I'm not interested in the third attack. Continuing in wizard doesn't seem worth it because I'll be in melee quite often, although more sheild slots sounds tempting

Any thoughts?

Also, any suggestion for a name?
Temmy is a good name I think.

My observations:
1. Wizard levels are always good and 2 more levels in wizard gets you a feat.
2. Clerics and Sorcerers both have great 1st level abilities making a triple class valuable (and giving as many shield slots as more wizard levels). Abberant Mind sorcerers can pick up Armor of Agathys, which no self-respecting Gish should be without. Upcast it with a 4th level slot to punish anyone that gets through your shield. Walrocks have great 1st level abilities too, but they come with baggage.
3. Rogue levels give you skills and expertise and at level 3 spells and a badass bonus action in Mage Hand Legerdemain.

Remove ads