D&D 5E Character sheets are too cluttered

J-H

Hero
I'm making a "defend your lair from adventurers, while playing as goblins" mini-campaign. To do this, I'm making a bunch of PC-style adventurers, written up as monster statblocks.

We all know what a basic character sheet is going to look like. Printed off of DND Beyond, it's going to be 2-3 pages for a monk due to all the descriptions and verbiage. Here it is, cut down to a single 1/2 page column and properly organized by action type without the clutter.

Li, Male Human Astral Monk
Medium Humanoid
Armor Class 17
Hit Points 33
Speed 40 ft.
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
12(+1) 16(+3) 13(+1) 10(0) 18(+4) 10(0)
Saves Str +4, Dex +6
Skills Acrobatics +6, Athletics +4(+7 Wis), Insight +7, Stealth +6
Senses Passive Perception 14
Actions
Extra Attack.
The Astral Monk attacks twice with his action. Once Astral Arms are summoned, use the Astral Arm attack block
Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack, +6 to hit, 5’, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage.
Astral Arms Strike. Melee Weapon Attack, +7 to hit, 10’, 1d6+4 force damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack, +6 to hit, 80/320’, 1d6+3 piercing damage.
Stunning Strike. 1 ki point, on hit with a melee attack, stun target until the end of your next turn, Con DC 15 negates.
Ki Pool. [] [] [] [] []
Bonus Actions
Summon Astral Arms.
1 ki point, 10’ radius enemies must save DEX DC 15 or take 2d6 force damage.
Martial Arts. Attack once.
Flurry of Blows. 1 ki point, attack twice.
Patient Defense. 1 ki point, Dodge.
Step of the Wind. 1 ki point, Disengage or Dash; double jump distance for turn.
Reactions
Deflect Arrows.
Reduce damage from a missile attack by 1d10+8.
Slow Fall. Reduce falling damage by 25.

I'm not advocating for replacing the character sheets with this entirely - you need to have spots for multiple weapon options, character descriptions, backstory, etc.... but it sure is easy to cut down the combat section to a fraction of the page space it takes up otherwise. The rest can be looked up easily on the "main sheet."

I've been doing something similar (one page cheat sheet) for all of the characters I play in person, and it helps a lot. Only rarely do I actually refer to the actual character sheet.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Here is a simple character sheet I made. Maybe it is something you would like and a sample PC:

1669405661028.png
1669405690798.png

The form-fillable pdf is attached.

Attachments

• FF - Simple 5E Rules CS.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 86

Quickleaf

Legend
It really depends on context. An experienced gamer who is already familiar with the class and/or has been playing their non-to-low-spellcasting character for a while? Yeah a monster stat block version makes a TON of sense.

I've been experimenting with the following format in my latest one-shots (which happen to be playtests for "One D&D")...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 1.56.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 1.56.39 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 103

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It really depends on context. An experienced gamer who is already familiar with the class and/or has been playing their non-to-low-spellcasting character for a while? Yeah a monster stat block version makes a TON of sense.

I've been experimenting with the following format in my latest one-shots (which happen to be playtests for "One D&D")...
wow, where is that from?

J-H

Hero
Here's the shortened version of a character sheet I came up with. It's still a lot bulkier than the NPC statblock.
I designed it specifically to help people remember to actually use their potions, spell scrolls, and other options.

Attachments

• aocs.jpg
    aocs.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 77

Remove ads