Character Submission Thread

Aura

Explorer
Reviewing Valdemar ( [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] ):

This is a good faith review of Valdemar by Fenris. If you see any mistakes, let me know and we'll work them out. The character is pretty good as is, but seems to have formatting issues. Still looking into that. Onward!

Things that Need to be changed:
* None. Character passes approval.

Minor Changes I made:
* Added Flint and Steel and removed blanket from Fighter’s kit (feel free to go back and buy the blanket if you want one.)
* Cleaned up some formatting and deleted the extraneous player instructions as they have been followed.
* Filled out Char_Info_DIV.
* Added source of misc mods, using a footnote for the fleet of +2’s from improvisation.
* Added link to DWI first appearance and current location.

Recommendations:
* From the background description given, either Deltan or Middle Landellian would qualify as Valdemar’s regional language, which he could take for free per LPF house rule. Thus, he has one more language to pick if you wish to exercise that option.
* There is a lot of extra lines and boxes that break up information a bit too much. Looking over, it seems to stem from the use of pre tags and has a lot of unintended side effects. I’m trying to remember how to just place a line, which seems to be what you are looking for?

Comments:
* This is the first use of Improvisation I have seen. Seems pretty worthwhile.
* I’m not a big fan of the class kits for gear. They engage in more than just a little rounding and end up creating problems later on. But, we haven’t said no, so feel free.

Valdemar is APPROVED for play in Living Pathfinder. Enjoy!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
. Looking over, it seems to stem from the use of pre tags and has a lot of unintended side effects. I’m trying to remember how to just place a line, which seems to be what you are looking for?

I simply copy and paste a blank line.

Fenris

Adventurer
Reviewing Valdemar ( [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] ):

This is a good faith review of Valdemar by Fenris. If you see any mistakes, let me know and we'll work them out. The character is pretty good as is, but seems to have formatting issues. Still looking into that. Onward!

Things that Need to be changed:
* None. Character passes approval.

Minor Changes I made:
* Added Flint and Steel and removed blanket from Fighter’s kit (feel free to go back and buy the blanket if you want one.)
* Cleaned up some formatting and deleted the extraneous player instructions as they have been followed.
* Filled out Char_Info_DIV.
* Added source of misc mods, using a footnote for the fleet of +2’s from improvisation.
* Added link to DWI first appearance and current location.

Recommendations:
* From the background description given, either Deltan or Middle Landellian would qualify as Valdemar’s regional language, which he could take for free per LPF house rule. Thus, he has one more language to pick if you wish to exercise that option.
* There is a lot of extra lines and boxes that break up information a bit too much. Looking over, it seems to stem from the use of pre tags and has a lot of unintended side effects. I’m trying to remember how to just place a line, which seems to be what you are looking for?

Comments:
* This is the first use of Improvisation I have seen. Seems pretty worthwhile.
* I’m not a big fan of the class kits for gear. They engage in more than just a little rounding and end up creating problems later on. But, we haven’t said no, so feel free.

Valdemar is APPROVED for play in Living Pathfinder. Enjoy!

Thank for the clean up. As I added things, the code boxes were doing wonky things. And I had thought of adding something for the Improvisation and your solution is clean.

I did add Inner Sea to his list of languages, as I did forget to have a regional language.
I will work on cleaning it up further, trying what Scott suggested.

I had the same misgivings about the kit, but it was just easier at that point. At some future point when it is relevant I will switch over to individual items and weights.

As for Improvisation, I only came across it by accident. I was really lost as to the kind of character I was trying to make. I didn't want "just" a fighter. So I had been looking at Barbarian, Ranger or a Fighter archetype that gave more skill ranks and or class skills in especially social skills. I was digging into new territory when I stumbled upon the racial feats and lo and behold there it was. I had already planned on taking Fast Learner to gain an extra skill rank, and came across Improvisation. It seemed like it fit the bill. I was considering taking Improved Improvisation which would have given me a +4 in all the skills with no ranks, but I figured if the fighter could out skill the skill monkey, it might not go over so well. But that is on the list for say level three.

Thanks again for the feedback and the clean up.

Aura

Explorer
No worries. I'm not sure how much you want the pre tags in place, but we could try killing off the internal ones and seeing if it all falls into place. The wikia formatting can be a pain and I'm not very good at it, although Mowgli, Francis John and several others are considerably more skilled and if you're not getting the look you want you can throw questions up on the board. You'll see that Charity and Tamarie have no complex formatting because I have little patience for it.

As for Advanced Improvisation, if you do end up wanting it at level 3, I would not hesitate to get it. It's the opposite of what most skill monkeys want: ways to improve their already high skill checks. Instead, it's a bonus to give you a fighting chance on common perception checks, swimming, climbing, balance, and all the misc stuff people do but don't have the points to throw around in non-class skills. I do not think it's going to upset anyone. As a team player, it would also put you in a good position for assisting on the person with considerable investment in those skills, and everyone loves +2. :)

FrancisJohn

Explorer
For the sake of utter transparency, I threw [MENTION=6747658]Aura[/MENTION] the XP for the improvisation discussion.

But that aside, thanks for the compliment! I learned how the tabber worked by copying other people's character sheet codes. But if you have any questions let me know.

Fenris

Adventurer
Excellent points Aura. You are absolutely right, skilled folks (and everyone really) tend to focus on their handful of skills to make very high. And with Improved Improvisation I can pick up the odd roll that no one has invested in, or as you say aid anothers roll.

Deepthought

First Post
[MENTION=6747658]Aura[/MENTION], thank you very much for the review and suggestions. I have fixed the language and two of your suggestions (I'll stick to the name) and I will head over to the Dunn Wright Inn for an Ale while awaiting happenings.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[MENTION=6852508]Snot Snottington[/MENTION] (how does one use the @ function if they have a space in their name? anyone?)

Here is my non-judge review for Doriandra Harrington:

1. Made a few arithmetic adjustments to the combat statistics.
2. Cleaned up a little extraneous text here and there but overall the formatting looks great.
3. Added Wild Empathy and a note about tracking to the skills section.
4. Big deal: You only get the +3 bonus for a class skill if you put a rank in it... you don't get it automatically. I took out some of the numbers, and I don't know if you want to go back and adjust your ranks to better reflect the skills you want at level 1.
5. She looks a little under prepared on adventuring gear, but I know you don't want to become medium encumbered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

paging @TillForPie

feel free to roleplay up in the Dunn Wright Inn!

Last edited:

Remove ads