• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

Satin Knights

First Post
Looking over Casandra,
A) In a fight with a house cat, she would still lose. Buy a light crossbow or dagger so you are not dead weight in a fight. As she stands now, no one would likely hire her to do a job. She is more likely to hire someone else to protect her.
b) You went with skill focus on Knowledge Local. I would put that +3 in Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive or Perception. They all fit the tarot reader gig much better.
c) Her high intelligence gives her two more languages to select.
d) Summon Monster I at first level is a full round casting for her, that lasts only one round. At this level, it is a poor choice when you have a limited number of spell possibilities.
e) Two World Magic just adds a spell to your class spell list. It doesn't give you the spell for free. So, you still have only four orisons at first level. Currently, you have five recorded, so you need to drop one.
f) A potion of Shield of Faith gives you a +2 AC for a minute. For the same price, a potion of Mage Armor would give you +3 over your current armor for an hour. You are short changing yourself in both bonus and time.

So, she still needs work.

Systole

First Post
1. Sorry about the formating, the use of space and line shift as only formating tools makes this require a lot of work to make pretty...
2. What are the local languages? Guess I'll look at the wiki.
3. Sorry for for going too close to the guide. I guess I could change things around if you want. I will roleplay the bad charisma, I am aware that it is a significant penalty...

What I read of his background suggested that Endandil is probably from the Harran, since he's very elven. Granted, I only skimmed it on the first pass. If that's what you decide, and if memory serves, you'll get Inner Sea as a bonus language.

The thing about Eldandil is that he's very, very optimized, to the point where it doesn't seem to me like there's much that's quirky and fun and individual about him so far. This isn't a deal-breaker: We've got no rules against min-maxing. But I honestly think you'll have more fun with a character that sacrifices just a little optimization for something weird and fun to play. My elf barbarian, for example, is absolutely one of my favorite characters of all time, even though he'd be doing an extra 2 or 3 damage per round if I'd made him a half-orc.

If I might make a suggestion, the way that most GMs do initiaitve means that initiative isn't as godlike as it is in live games. So you wouldn't lose much by taking Reactionary and doing something completely off the wall with it.

Systole

First Post
Reviewing Erinth Karan:
1. Please double check equipment cost and weight. I got some different numbers (although not very different).
2. For future reference, it's Landellian, not Landassan. Fixed.

I did some minor reformatting, but he looks good otherwise. 1 is not enough of a big deal to hold up approval. Erinth is APPROVED.

Satin Knights

First Post
I wouldn't describe my character as self-sufficient. Though he comes from a tribal background, I'd say they were very similar to Arabic Bedouins: close-knit, interdependent nomads who are fairly civilized when compared to other barbarian clans. He's not the sort to trek through wilderness when he can follow a road from town-to-town and stay there, but I can see where you're coming from, so I changed his inventory around. I'd forgotten about spell components entirely. :p

Being that one of his themes is as a foreigner, should I change Common to Broken Common? I'd think he'd know enough to get by, since he's been in these lands for a little bit, but he'd be nowhere near fluent.
You don't need to go with Broken Common. It is hard to write with that style actually. As examples, Daylily, one of our more famous barbarians, is on the borderline of broken or not. Systole has been masterful in his characterization. The bar tender, Grog, is another that, while not the greatest with words, gets his point across. Both are listed with common, so, going with a character who speaks broken common is going to be more difficult. The option was put in there mostly for NPCs in the out lying areas.

The last batch of changes looks good, so Samad Salil has earned his first APPROVAL of two. Since I am a judge, any player can step up and do the second review.

oyzar

First Post
I read the page of elves which spoke of "the Other World". It does not seem like this is the same place as Harran, is this other world another plane? Harran seems like a nation focused on expansion, into the mortal realm, not quite the impression i got from the home place of the elves in the article about elves.

According to the article on "Cosmology and the Planes" "the Other World" is indeed another plane. It lies along the hidden path. I suppose I should figure out how my character managed to get from there to this plane. As for the language I am thinking that it is most apropriate that I do not take one.

I guess I can add some more background for what happened after i left the Hidden Path. I changed around the numbers a bit, but I'll see what more I can do. Problem with replacing reactionary is that traits are usually not very "fun" they often just give flat bonuses to various stats, would it be better if i took Forlorn as even though Eldandil did not exactly live outside society, he was shuned by it a lot of the time?

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Reviewing Morgan:

1. Since you provided a description, I uploaded a photo that might work for you. Feel free to upload something more appropriate if you'd like. Generally speaking, it's helpful to have a pic so that GMs have something to use for map tokens.
2. Sorcerers get d6 HP, not d4. Fee fi fo fum, I smell 3.5 sorcerer man. Woman. Whatever. Fixed.
3. Reformatted various stuffs so it looks purty.
4. Not sure how much ray usage you're planning, but you might consider Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot over the fire-focus thing. It's fine either way, just throwing it out there.
5. Languages. You're missing a regional language and two bonus languages due to your intelligence.
6. Equipment: Congratulations! You are the most underequipped character I have ever reviewed! While this is not a dealbreaker, you might consider grabbing a light crossbow or a sling, maybe a dagger, a bedroll, a Cure Light Wounds potion, some playing cards, a wheel of cheese, a compass, and some flint and tinder. Or anything, really. Goods and equipment are 100% buyback, so a CLW potion is just as good as 50gp in your pocket. Plus, you can drink it if you get thirsty.

Aside from #5, I can approve your character as-is, but I'm going to hold off in case you want to kick around a few changes.

Systole

First Post
I read the page of elves which spoke of "the Other World". It does not seem like this is the same place as Harran, is this other world another plane? Harran seems like a nation focused on expansion, into the mortal realm, not quite the impression i got from the home place of the elves in the article about elves.

According to the article on "Cosmology and the Planes" "the Other World" is indeed another plane. It lies along the hidden path. I suppose I should figure out how my character managed to get from there to this plane. As for the language I am thinking that it is most apropriate that I do not take one.

I guess I can add some more background for what happened after i left the Hidden Path. I changed around the numbers a bit, but I'll see what more I can do. Problem with replacing reactionary is that traits are usually not very "fun" they often just give flat bonuses to various stats, would it be better if i took Forlorn as even though Eldandil did not exactly live outside society, he was shuned by it a lot of the time?

It's not the same place as Harran. There are the elves that retreated from the world, and there is the currently very pro-elvish country of Harran. They're not absolutely related, but there's a significant overlap. The other player who is currently using a Hidden Path background is here and she chose Inner Sea.

What you choose for your character is up to you. But even taking a trait that gives a class skill can change your character's background. I mean, if you took Capable:Sleight of Hand, then all of a sudden you have a whole new way of looking at your character. Now Eldandil isn't just a wizard, he's this annoyingly smart elf that likes to cheat at cards even though he knows better. He has a personality. When he goes into a bar, his friends all groan because they know he's going to deal off the bottom of the deck, and there's a good chance he's going to get caught and if that happens, then there's going to be a brawl and they're going to have to hightail it out of town or else pay for damages. And honestly, that's way more fun than the guy who sits in the corner and drinks tea with a slice of lemon.

Systole

First Post
Reviewing Samad:
1. 13 Str is 3 points. Just a typo, everything else was fine.

Everything else looks fine. I especially like the idea of elven tribes in Rhat'manis. APPROVED.

P.S. You might want to try a portrait more like this.
P.P.S. When did we change it to 'Southern'? I thought it was Rhat'mani.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads