Character Treasure

Legildur

First Post
I'm trying to create a higher than 1st level character for an ongoing campaign but I don't know how much treasure a 'typical' character should have at each level. That is, I don't know what sort of magical items he can afford (or be expected to have).

Can someone please post a list by level or direct me to a point in the SRD? (I've had a look, but couldn't find it).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DMG p43

1000s of gp per level :

2: .9
3: 2.7
4: 5.4
5: 9
6: 13
7: 19
8: 27
9: 36
10: 49
11: 66
12: 88
13: 110
14: 150
15: 200
16: 260
17: 340
18: 440
19: 580
20: 760

-Hyp.

FANGO

First Post
I don't think it's in the srd, but there is a table in the dmg with 'baseline' character wealth based on starting level, i think its page 170-something...its on the bottom right corner of the page on the right side, and theres a picture of a floating female elven wizard wearing blue on the page...its titled 'character wealth by level' or something like that, i dunno. You can also get the treasure values by using the character generator demo thing that came with the phb, I think.

edit: nevermind, he put the table up there -^

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
i think its page 170-something...its on the bottom right corner of the page on the right side

Huh. p145, Table 5-1, Character Wealth by Level.

I always us Table 2-24, Starting Equipment for PCs Above 1st Level on p43... which is identical.

I would've thought they'd just say "See page whatever" instead of printing the same table twice :)

-Hyp.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
If it is a character you are playing in someone else's campaign, you may want to ask if there are any guidelines or restrictions of what can be bought. When I allow players to create characters above first level, I generally restrict them to a certain number of items that are re-usable (magic-wise), and the rest being one-use items (again, magic-wise), and all of that after they have adequately outfitted their character with mundane items. *shrug*

Legildur

First Post
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was after.

And of course I'll screen it with my DM (in case he wants to vary it - home brew world and all).

Mark

Will you be building the character based on a "role-playing concept" or min-maxing that badboy and opening the process up to suggestions from this esteemed peanut gallery? :D

Legildur

First Post
Bit of both actually.

I've got my heart set on a NG dwarf Bbr/Rgr who would be a cave ranger.

Haven't recent MotW in Australia yet, so sort of waiting on that and hoping it has a PrC along those lines.

Can't remember all stats but I think he has:

Str 17, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10 (first roll on the CGS from the Wizards site).

Thoughts at the moment are to dress him in a chain shirt with a large spiked shield and warhammer combo.

Feats would be:

1 - Power Attack
- Ambidexterity (virtual)
- Two-Weapon Fighting (virtual)
- Track (Rgr bonus)
3 - Shield Expert (S&F)
6 - Improved Shield Bash (DotF)

...so that I can shield bash effectively and keep the shield bonus to AC by 3rd level.

Oh yeah, most of my game is roll-play, but I try to keep some role-play in there.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mark said:
Will you be building the character based on a "role-playing concept" or min-maxing that badboy and opening the process up to suggestions from this esteemed peanut gallery? :D

Sorry for the hijack, but...

I've always hated this dichotomy - why can't a "role-playing concept" be min-maxed? Sure, my wizard may have put max ranks in 2 all-but-useless skills and taken Skill Focus (not for a prestige class), but the rest is optimized. Why shouldn't it be?

I don't understand why people think it's one or the other.

Mark

CRGreathouse said:

Sorry for the hijack, but...

I've always hated this dichotomy - why can't a "role-playing concept" be min-maxed? Sure, my wizard may have put max ranks in 2 all-but-useless skills and taken Skill Focus (not for a prestige class), but the rest is optimized. Why shouldn't it be?

I don't understand why people think it's one or the other.

Of course, I agree. I am only using the terms to represent the extremes and not saying there can't be a middle ground. In point of fact, I am a centrist when it comes to character creation. I don't believe that either method should be approached at the exclusion of the other. To min-max with no role-playing considerations feels too lifeless, ALA CRPG where you only try to beat a machine that relies on calculations to stall you, and to role-play without some min-maxing ignores the inherent need for a character to attempt to realize some level of excellence.

Last edited:

Remove ads