• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Treasure

Legildur

First Post
I'm trying to create a higher than 1st level character for an ongoing campaign but I don't know how much treasure a 'typical' character should have at each level. That is, I don't know what sort of magical items he can afford (or be expected to have).

Can someone please post a list by level or direct me to a point in the SRD? (I've had a look, but couldn't find it).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DMG p43

1000s of gp per level :

2: .9
3: 2.7
4: 5.4
5: 9
6: 13
7: 19
8: 27
9: 36
10: 49
11: 66
12: 88
13: 110
14: 150
15: 200
16: 260
17: 340
18: 440
19: 580
20: 760

-Hyp.

FANGO

First Post
I don't think it's in the srd, but there is a table in the dmg with 'baseline' character wealth based on starting level, i think its page 170-something...its on the bottom right corner of the page on the right side, and theres a picture of a floating female elven wizard wearing blue on the page...its titled 'character wealth by level' or something like that, i dunno. You can also get the treasure values by using the character generator demo thing that came with the phb, I think.

edit: nevermind, he put the table up there -^

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
i think its page 170-something...its on the bottom right corner of the page on the right side

Huh. p145, Table 5-1, Character Wealth by Level.

I always us Table 2-24, Starting Equipment for PCs Above 1st Level on p43... which is identical.

I would've thought they'd just say "See page whatever" instead of printing the same table twice :)

-Hyp.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
If it is a character you are playing in someone else's campaign, you may want to ask if there are any guidelines or restrictions of what can be bought. When I allow players to create characters above first level, I generally restrict them to a certain number of items that are re-usable (magic-wise), and the rest being one-use items (again, magic-wise), and all of that after they have adequately outfitted their character with mundane items. *shrug*

Legildur

First Post
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was after.

And of course I'll screen it with my DM (in case he wants to vary it - home brew world and all).

Mark

Will you be building the character based on a "role-playing concept" or min-maxing that badboy and opening the process up to suggestions from this esteemed peanut gallery? :D

Legildur

First Post
Bit of both actually.

I've got my heart set on a NG dwarf Bbr/Rgr who would be a cave ranger.

Haven't recent MotW in Australia yet, so sort of waiting on that and hoping it has a PrC along those lines.

Can't remember all stats but I think he has:

Str 17, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10 (first roll on the CGS from the Wizards site).

Thoughts at the moment are to dress him in a chain shirt with a large spiked shield and warhammer combo.

Feats would be:

1 - Power Attack
- Ambidexterity (virtual)
- Two-Weapon Fighting (virtual)
- Track (Rgr bonus)
3 - Shield Expert (S&F)
6 - Improved Shield Bash (DotF)

...so that I can shield bash effectively and keep the shield bonus to AC by 3rd level.

Oh yeah, most of my game is roll-play, but I try to keep some role-play in there.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mark said:
Will you be building the character based on a "role-playing concept" or min-maxing that badboy and opening the process up to suggestions from this esteemed peanut gallery? :D

Sorry for the hijack, but...

I've always hated this dichotomy - why can't a "role-playing concept" be min-maxed? Sure, my wizard may have put max ranks in 2 all-but-useless skills and taken Skill Focus (not for a prestige class), but the rest is optimized. Why shouldn't it be?

I don't understand why people think it's one or the other.

Mark

CRGreathouse said:

Sorry for the hijack, but...

I've always hated this dichotomy - why can't a "role-playing concept" be min-maxed? Sure, my wizard may have put max ranks in 2 all-but-useless skills and taken Skill Focus (not for a prestige class), but the rest is optimized. Why shouldn't it be?

I don't understand why people think it's one or the other.

Of course, I agree. I am only using the terms to represent the extremes and not saying there can't be a middle ground. In point of fact, I am a centrist when it comes to character creation. I don't believe that either method should be approached at the exclusion of the other. To min-max with no role-playing considerations feels too lifeless, ALA CRPG where you only try to beat a machine that relies on calculations to stall you, and to role-play without some min-maxing ignores the inherent need for a character to attempt to realize some level of excellence.

Last edited:

Remove ads