• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Characters for the Academy of Drell

poilbrun

Explorer
MAERATH ILIANDIL
Elf Male
Wizard 4
Neutral Good

Abilities:
Str 12
Dex 16 (14 +2 Race)
Con 11 (13 -2 Race)
Int 16 (15 +1 Level 4)
Wis 10
Cha 11

Combat Stats:
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Melee: +3 (BAB + Str)
Ranged: +5 (BAB + Dex)
Hit Points: 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 0 (CON) = 13
Armor Class: 13 (Dex +3)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Movement Rate: 30 ft

Attacks per round:
1 Masterwork longsword (+4 to hit, 1d8+1 dmg)
or 1 Masterwork dagger (+4 to hit, 1d4+1 dmg)
or 1 Masterwork mighty composite longdow (+1 Str Bonus) (+6 to hit, 1d8+1 dmg)

Weapons and Armor
Armor and Shield: None
Weapons: Masterwork longsword (1d8 dmg, Crit 19-20/x2)
Masterwork dagger (1d4 dmg, Crit 19-20/x2)
Masterwork mighty composite longdow (1d8 dmg, Crit 20/x3, Range 110 ft)

Saving Throws:
Fort: +1 (+1 base, +0 Con)
Ref: +4 (+1 base, +3 Dex)
Will: +4 (+4 base, +0 Wis)

Feats:
Weapon proficiency: club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, quarterstaff (Wizard)
Weapon proficiency: longsword, shortbow, longbow, composite shortbow, composite longbow (Elf)
Summon Familiar (wizard)
Scribe Scroll (wizard)
Improved Initiative (level 1)
Craft Wondrous item (level 3)

Skills:
Alchemy +4 (1 rank, +3 Int)
Concentration +7 (7 ranks, +0 Con)
Knowledge (Arcana) +10 ( ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (History) +7 (4 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (Local) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int)
Knowledge (Religion) +5 (2 ranks, +3 Int)
Listen +4 (0 rank, +0 Wis, +2 race, +2 Familiar)
Search +5 (0 rank, +3 Int, +2 race)
Scry +3 (0 ranks, +3 Int)
Spellcraft +10 (7 ranks, +3 Int)
Spot +4 (0 rank, +0 Wis, +2 race, +2 Familiar)

Languages:
Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc.

Racial Abilities:
Immunity to sleep
Save +2 vs enchantment spells
Low-light vision
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks
Automatic Search check if within 5' of secret/concealed door

Wizard Spells:
4/4/3
Level 0: Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic*, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light**, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic*, Repair Minor Damage, Resistance
Level 1: Charm Person*, Color Spray, Identify, Mage Armor*, Magic Missile*, Shield*, True Strike
Level 2: Blur*, Cat's Grace*, Invisibility*, Knock
Spells with an * are those usually prepared.

Familiar:
Name: Squeekie
Statistics: CR -; Diminutive Animal; HD 1/4xd8; hp 1' Init +3 (Dex); Spd 10 ft. climb 15 ft; AC 19 (+4 Size, +3 Dex, +2 Natural Armor); Atk none; SQ scent; Face 1ft/1ft' Reach 0 ft; SV Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1; STR 2, DEX 16, CON 11, INT 7, WIS 12, CHA 4.
Skills: Climb +15, Hide +22, Move Silently +11, Listen +9. Squirrels gain a +4 racial bonus to Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks.
Description: Squirrels are excellent climbers and jumpers. Their teeth are strong enough to gnaw through soft wood, leather or rope, given a few minutes. Their paws are also dexterous enough to pick up small objects and hold them (although they can't carry them, since they walk on all fours). They eat fruits, nuts and grains.
Special Abilities: Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex Save
Alertness
Improved evasion
Share spells
Empathic link
Touch

Equipment:
Chest (in my room)
-2000 gp
Wearing/Carrying
-Arrows (20)
-Explorer's Outfit with secret component pocket containing an eyelash encased in a bit of gum arabic (for invisibility)
-Familiar Carrier
-Masterwork dagger
-Masterwork longsword
-Masterwork mighty composite longbow (Str +1)
Backpack
-Blanket (winter)
-Candles x10
-Case (Map or Scroll)
-Ink (1 Oz. Vial)
-Paper Sheets x15 (inside the Scroll Case)
-Pen (Ink) x5
-Rope (Silk, 50 ft)
-Tindertwigs x10
-Waterskin
Pouch (Belt)
-16 gp
-8 sp
-5 cp
-Chalk x5

Total weight carried: 38.78 pounds
Load: light

Experience:
Current XP: 6000
Next level: 10000

History:
Second son of a wealthy merchant from the great city of Tirn-Girel, Maerath Iliandil has been sent to the Academy of Drell by his father after one of their frequent quarrel as a punishment. His father, named Salnorath, hopes that what Maerath will learn in the academy will make him less hotheaded. And it has succeeded. Since his arrival at the academy, Maerath has learned a lot, improved his magical skills, and become calm and thoughtful. His main hobby there is to read, and he is more often found in the library than anywhere else.

Before his arrival at the academy, Maerath spent his youth roaming the woods with his older brother Falandiel. This time spent in the woods hunting wild animals has earned Maerath a visible scar on his forehead. Having lost their mother when Maerath was still quite young, the two brothers have been raised by their father. Whereas Falandiel always was in good terms with his father and is now working with him, Maerath was always quarreling with him, which lead to him being sent to the academy.

Description:
Maerath is 5 feet tall and weighs between 100 and 110 pounds. His long blond hair form a ponytail and fall on his back. His bright green eyes are the main features of his face and attract young women more often than not. His fine elvish features are only stained by a scar on his forehead, memory of a deer trying to flee him and his brother by springing above them. Maerath always wear leather clothing: boots, trousers and vest on top of a linen shirt. When venturing outside the safety of the academy, he carries a longsword at his side and a bow and a quiver hanging in his back.

Maerath's character is now calmer than before. He has learned in the academy to control himself, and is now thoughtful. Before taking any decision, he often ponders the implications of his choice, using his personal experience and the experience he found in the books he has read. However, he still gets angry from time to time, usually when talked about his father. He tries however to forgive his father and to try and love him as a son should love his father.

Messages to Zhure:
1. You're sure about the skill points? Wizards get 2+Int, which means 4*4 at level 1, 4 at level 2 and 3, and 5 at level 4 = 29.
2. Thanks for the familiar. The bonus is the same, but I like squirrel, the reason I wanted one hadn't anything to do with the bonus!:D

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Nice character!

I didn't see any errors (although I didn't go over it with a fine-toothed comb) but it looks fine.

To answer your questions:
1- Squirrels are mentioned in Dragon #280. They grant a +2 Reflex save. If that's not acceptable, use the benefit of a Weasel.

Stats for a Squirrel:
CR -; Diminutive Animal; HD 1/4xd8; hp 1' Init +3 (Dex); Spd 10 ft. climb 15 ft; AC 17 (+4 Size, +3 Dex); Atk none; SQ scent; Face 1ft/1ft' Reach 0 ft; SV Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1; STR 2, DEX 16, CON 11, INT 2, WIS 12, CHA 4.
Skills: Climb +15, Hide +22, Move Silently +11, Listen +9. Squirrels gain a +4 racial bonus to Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks.

Squirrels are excellent climbers and jumpers. Their teeth are strong enough to gnaw through soft wood, leather or rope, given a few minutes. Their paws are also dexterous enough to pick up small objects and hold them (although they can't carry them, since they walk on all fours). They eat fruits, nuts and grains. A master with a squirrel familiar gains a +2 bonus to Reflex saves.

2- Elvish city... there are a few of them on the souther half of the mainland. Based on your backstory it's most likely you came from Tirn-Girel. It's located on the edge of a great wooded plateau. Historically, these enclave of elves were known for passively supporting the empire during it's foundation as it they believed the Empire would lead to lasting peace among the humans. They've been correct for several thousand years.

3- Oops, I'll add this to the character creation guidelines. Maximum at first level, then 1/2 the die size +1 for each level thereafter (i.e., d4 = +3; d6 = +4).
Greg

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
poilbrun: I did notice you may not have given yourself enough skill ranks.

Alchemy +4 (1 rank, +3 Int)
Concentration +7 (7 ranks, +0 Con)
Knowledge (Arcana) +10 (7 ranks, +3 Int) <-- this should be 7 ranks
Knowledge (History) +7 (4 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (Local) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int)
Knowledge (Religion) +5 (2 ranks, +3 Int)
Listen +2 (0 rank, +0 Wis, +2 race)
Search +5 (0 rank, +3 Int, +2 race)
Scry +3 (0 ranks, +3 Int)
Spellcraft +10 (7 ranks, +3 Int)
Spot +2 (0 rank, +0 Wis, +2 race)

29 ranks.

According to my calculations, you should have 6x4 = 24 at 1st level, 6 at second level, 6 at third level and 7 at fourth level. 43 ranks. Unless I'm mistaken you've got 14 unspent ranks.

:eek:)
Greg

Jeremy

Explorer
Rallyn Loddry Lvl 6

Small Humanoid (Gnome)
Neutral Good Savant5

XP 16150 / 21000

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 14

HP 42
AC 11

Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +6

Atks

+4 melee (1d6, halfspear) or +4 ranged (1d8, light crossbow)

Skills

Concentration +13, Diplomacy +4, Hide +4, Knowledge (Psionics) +8, Listen +3, Psicraft +9, Remote View +8, Spot +1

Feats

Psionic Focus (Psychokinesis), Greater Psionic Focus (Psychokinesis), Resculpt Mind (or Maximize Power)

Gear

Carried/Worn
-backpack
-case of bolts (7)
-light crossbow
-halfspear
-hooded lantern (at belt)
-pouch
-traveller's outfit

Backpack
-bedroll
-flask of lamp oil (x4)
-300 platinum pieces
-waterskin

Pouch
-23 gold pieces
-4 silver pieces
-1 copper piece
-flint and steel

Warpony
-military saddle
-saddle bags
-bit and bridle

Total Value 3,300 Total Weight 24 lbs Load: Light

Psionic Attack/Defense modes
Mind Thrust, Ego Whip, Id Insinuation, Mind Blast, Empty Mind, Mental Barrier, Thought Shield

Special Abilities
+2 saves vs. illusions
+1 to hit kobolds/goblinoids
+4 dodge vs giants
1/day dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation

Psicrystal: Karenia (Friendly, +2 Diplomacy)
Intelligence (8), Sighted (40'), Empathic/Telepathic Link (1 mile), Self Propulsion

Languages
Common, Gnome

Power Points: 24
DC 14+Power Level, 18+Power Level for Psychokinesis

Talents (7/day)
Far Hand, Burst, Float, Missive, Minor Body Adjustment (or Catfall)

1st level
Stomp, Grease, Charm Person

2nd level
Control Air, Control Body

3rd level
Psychokinetic Blast (or Greater Concussion)

Background:
Rallyn was raised in the inhospitable lands around the Academy of Drell. His rough farm upbringing included no coddling for anyone and each of his two older brothers are made of the same tough mettle as their earthy father who could pass for a dwarf if not for his outgoing nature. Rallyn is much the same as his father, hardy and sturdy, an industrious worker, he is still very personable and enjoys company.

Strange phenomena began following Rallyn along as he began to mature and his father brought him to the academy for testing. It was found that his mental stores were built of the iron will as his body. Lacking the funds for tuition, Rallyn volunteered to work in the Academy Guard in whatever capacity he could in exchange for learning about his Talent.

Now, 8 years later, Rallyn has not advanced very far, his training limited by his responsibilities, but he takes his every free moment to study on his own in the library trying to supplement his training. He has developed a respect for old books and scrolls and actually thinks he might start a collection of some of the older ones he comes across.

Description:
Rallyn is a well-proportioned 3'8" weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 pounds. When not in the sewn leather cap and jerkin of the guard he dresses in very simple clothes that have a worn quality to them and match his earthy, sun-darkened skin well.

He has expressive gray eyes under his bushy eyebrows and keeps his shoulder-length brown hair back in a pony tail.

Rallyn is around 83 years old and somewhat quiet and bookish. Coming from humble beginnings, he sometimes feels out of place around all the people of birth and money around the Academy. He is quiet and tries to stay out of their way.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Rallyn Loddry -- a great looking character. Good background. The area on the mainland nearest Drell is "Northport." It's pretty desolate and a mixed race area. Lots of gnome and dwarven enclaves about.

I noticed some things about your skills which confused me...

Concentration 7 ranks
Diplomacy 0 ranks (2 from psicrystal)
Hide +4 4 ranks (cross-class, counts as 8 skill points, too high, max is 3 1/2 ranks)
Knowledge (Psionics) +7 7 ranks
Listen +3 2 ranks (cross-class, counts as 4 skill points)
Psicraft +7 7 ranks
Remote View +7 7 ranks
Spot +1 0 ranks

=38 skill points

should be 4x4 = 16 + 4x3 = 12 = 28

I'm not sure if I made an error or you did. Please either fix it or tell me what I did wrong.

:)

I find it helpful if you parenthetically break down where all the bonuses are coming from... maybe that's where the error (yours or mine) came from.

One of the variant rules I'm using is the flat 10 for save DCs on psionic powers (I need to include that in my original post, will do so posthaste.)

Also, you can customize your displays, or take the default, whichever you prefer.
Hope that helps,
Greg

Zhure

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
Wow an Academy! Give me a little time time and I'll post a human bard.

My original scheme was for an all-d4 campaign. I included Bards and Rogues so the party could heal itself (spells for the bard, UMD for the Rogues).

Greg

Zhure

First Post
Looks like we're up to Lichtenhart, evileeyore, novyet, Jeremy, and polibrun expressing interest. That almost meets the six minimum, and well below the 10 maximum. I'll check back tomorrow to see the progress.
Greg

Jeremy

Explorer
Diplomacy +4 = 0 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 PsiCrystal
Hide +4 = 0 ranks, +4 size bonus
Listen +3 = 0 ranks, +2 racial, +1 wisdom

Concentration, Psicraft, Knowledge (Psionics), and Remote View all self explanatory (max rank + ability modifier).

7+7+7+7=28.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Remove ads