Charging through an ally?

calebhand

First Post
I can't find where it says that a character can't charge through a square occupied by an ally, but my DM said it wasn't possible. Ruling?

the Jester

Legend
He's probably adjudicating the "clear path" phrase. IDHMBIFOM though.

Regardless, your dm has already made the ruling; even if it isn't RAW it's a totally reasonable ruling IMHO.

Riastlin

First Post
Your DM is always right.

That being said, I would allow it. A creature can charge over any terrain through which it could move through and it can move through an ally's square (just not end on it). The only restriction is that each square of the charge movement must bring the creature closer to the target and that the creature must charge to the nearest square from which it could attack (though with diagonal rules that usually means there are several squares available).

Droogie128

First Post
I can't find where it says that a character can't charge through a square occupied by an ally, but my DM said it wasn't possible. Ruling?

You can move through an ally's square without penalty. It is listed on page 205 of the RC. You can enter an ally's space, but can not end there unless the ally is prone.

Your DM is either making stuff up, or simply misread. Only enemies can impede movement.

Droogie128

First Post
He's probably adjudicating the "clear path" phrase. IDHMBIFOM though.

Regardless, your dm has already made the ruling; even if it isn't RAW it's a totally reasonable ruling IMHO.

It really isn't reasonable at all. It's a needless nerf for charge-based characters, and goes against the idea of teamwork.

calebhand

First Post
Jester, what is the "clear path" phrase?

Yes, I agree, if the DM rules something, then it's done. However, I just wanted to see if this was in the rulebook or not.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Yep - it's either a mistake or a house rule. Not an unreasonable house rule, I suppose, but it's not rules as written (RAW).

aurance

Explorer
There's no "clear path" phrase. If you can move through it, you can charge through it. You can even charge through difficult terrain. (PHB even notes this under the "movement requirements" of Charge: "Moving over difficult terrain costs extra squares of movement as normal.")

OnlineDM

Adventurer
You can even charge while climbing, even though you move at half speed while doing it. Charging is pretty liberal in 4th Edition.

One rule I've heard thrown about but that I haven't actually seen written anywhere is that you have to be able to see the target of your charge when you start charging. I don't believe that's actually the case - for instance, I believe you can charge a drow that has dropped its cloud of darkness around itself or between you and it. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Remove ads