WotC Check out Magic: the Gathering's Tiamat

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat. "Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you...

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat.

"Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed painting it!"

E0wNOa5VIAEbZ-n.jpeg

The MtG set comes out on July 23rd, 2021. The collector's sets have a beholder on the front. ICv2 has more information on the various set configurations. Bell of Lost Souls has some card images.

mtc_dnd.jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've been trying to figure out what kind of Dragon Drizzt is depicted fighting in the MtG set. Its mostly gray and spiky so at first I thought it was a Fang Dragon, but its breath weapon is wrong, its too fiery.

So its too gray and spiky to be a red dragon, its too fiery to be a Grey dragon, it has glowing red eyes, it dawned on me its probably a Volcanic Dragon.
It could be a simple Red Dragon as well. It's dark out on the card and red in the dark looks grey. Also, not all Red Dragon art for D&D looks the same and some have more spikes than others, so the spikes could just be that Dragon's look. Or you might be right. :)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For the two Foil Legendaries in each of the Commander Decks my guesses are Larloch and Halastar Blackcloak for Dungeon of Death, Ra's Incarnation and Dragonbait the Paladin for Aura of Courage, for Planar Portals Malcanthet and Zariel, for Draconic Rage Velcuthimmorhar (aka Hephaestus named after the God of the Forge) and Tzchazzar Demigod Dragon of Chessenta.
Of note that one of the foils in each deck will be the face commander that they use to market the deck: Halaster Blackcloak seems a good candidate for Dungeons of Death, for sure, but the others I would expect to be less deep cuts than you propose: Volo, Eliminstar, Driz'zt, Lareal Silverhand, the Xanathar, and Tiamat seem like good possibilities. We already know from the previewed Land cards that they are leaning into 5E Sword Coast Adventure books for material.

Though those would all make good Legendary cards, mind you, but I would expect to see a focus on figures that have played a role in late 15th century DR events on the Sword Coast.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh I didn't realize that both sides of an MDFCs count as seperate cards is that true of TDFCs too?

Aside from the Dungeon cards what makes you think AFR has MDFCs? Just the amount of cards in the set?
OK, this just in, MDFCs are definitely not going to be in AFR or any other Set soon:

"As I explained when Zendikar Rising came out, MDFCs were a thing we were running through the three premier sets (well, the non-D&D ones) to give the Magic "year" a cohesive feel. While they might return one day, we are done with them for a while."

Of note that one of the foils in each deck will be the face commander that they use to market the deck: Halaster Blackcloak seems a good candidate for Dungeons of Death, for sure, but the others I would expect to be less deep cuts than you propose: Volo, Eliminstar, Driz'zt, Lareal Silverhand, the Xanathar, and Tiamat seem like good possibilities. We already know from the previewed Land cards that they are leaning into 5E Sword Coast Adventure books for material.

Though those would all make good Legendary cards, mind you, but I would expect to see a focus on figures that have played a role in late 25th century DR events on the Sword Coast.

Some yes, but not all, there is more to FR then just the Swordcoast.

And the biggest names usually go into the main set, not Commander Decks, look who is the Commanders for Kaldheim, Strixhaven, and Zendikar, all the most important characters are on the main set.

You want Commanders who are intriguing enough that people will want to buy them, but not so important that you need to reserve them for the main set. Xanathar is confirmed for the main set and Elminister is too important for a Commander Deck.

Commander Decks are also good places to explore stuff in a setting that is outside of the focus of the main set.

Its why I think that for Example Planar Portals will focus on Planes creatures that there likely won't be alot of space for in the main set like Devils, Demons, Angels, Elementals, and Fey.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Some yes, but not all, there is more to FR then just the Swordcoast.
There is, but I would not expect the cards in this case to go too far afield from the printed 5E books, since we are probably going to only get 20-30 named character cards (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, but way more generic stuff like "Gnome Illusionist" or something will see print). If a character has been on a 5E cover, I think their odds of being a Legendary card are very good, if they have been a prominent NPC in an Adventure book that is also good for their odds.

There is, but I would not expect the cards in this case to go too far afield from the printed 5E books, since we are probably going to only get 20-30 named character cards (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, but way more generic stuff like "Gnome Illusionist" or something will see print). If a character has been on a 5E cover, I think their odds of being a Legendary card are very good, if they have been a prominent NPC in an Adventure book that is also good for their odds.

Agreed about the cover, with some exceptions, but I don't think they will end up as the face card for Commander Decks, Volo, Drizzt, Silverhand, are all main set kind of characters. Elminister, Mordenkainen, and Fizban are likely Planeswalkers, maybe Tasha too.

And I think between the Commander Decks and the main set your looking at more like 45-60 Legendary Creatures/Planeswalkers. 16 legendary characters mininium between the 4 Commander Decks (Main Commander, back up foil Commander, and two mono colour legendaries x4 like in Commander 2021), and not including main set. In the main set itself 10 Uncommon Legendaries (like Kaldheim), and 15-35 R/M Legendaries.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed about the cover, with some exceptions, but I don't think they will end up as the face card for Commander Decks, Volo, Drizzt, Silverhand, are all main set kind of characters. Elminister, Mordenkainen, and Fizban are likely Planeswalkers, maybe Tasha too.

And I think between the Commander Decks and the main set your looking at more like 40-60 Legendary Creatures/Planeswalkers. 16 legendary characters mininium between the 4 Commander Decks (Main Commander, back up foil Commander, and two mono colour legendaries x4 like in Commander 2021), and not including main set. 10 Uncommon Legendaries, half of the mythic rares say 5, at least 10-30 of the rares.
Kaldheim had 36 Legendary cards, and that is a bit of a high water mark for Magic. I would not expect more Legendries than that, and probably less since they have iconic monsters, spells and apparently Dungeons to get through.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Vecna is more well known. If he doesn't appear himself, I'd love to see his Hand and Eye make an appearance with a bonus ability if both are in play.

Remove ads

Remove ads