D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The original gods of D&D were more important in those books. The Real World gods were more extras, and as mentioned were not very important to the settings.
Have you read those books? Many of them place more emphasis on the real world gods than the D&D ones.

You can argue about the validity of what they're doing now, but you're not going to sell me on the ridiculous idea that this stuff never mattered.

On topic: the various tables of contents have seemed to indicate this setting and adventure are pretty much limited to Sigil and the Outlands. Do we think that's true? If so, is that sufficient? I personally am suddenly much less interested if "the multiverse" is a city and some wonky villages.
The Adventure and Book focus on Sigil and Outlands recommending checking the DMG for more info on the other Planes. I personally think the info on Sigil and Outlands is enough and is very good.

Have you read those books? Many of them place more emphasis on the real world gods than the D&D ones.

You can argue about the validity of what they're doing now, but you're not going to sell me on the ridiculous idea that this stuff never mattered.
Never said it didn’t matter, just that it ultimately was not very important. The few real world gods that have mattered in the various settings tend to be quite changed.

Let’s use Tyr a prominent member of the Forgotten Realms Pantheon. He has little in common with Norse Tyr who is traditionally depicted as a god of war, military strategy, and victory. FR Tyr is instead the blind and maimed god of justice.

Scribe

Legend
So Asmodeus comes straight from Christian mythology, although in some editions he also had Zoroastrian traits.

Again if the goal was to avoid controversy, it clearly backfired, would this level of backlash be occurring if they hadn't made this choice? No.
Is there a backlash for not mentioning Zeus by name?

I got out of social media in 2020, so I'm not connected to the Hate and Angst engines anymore.

I make no claims about the capital-t Truth about religious experiences, but the verifiable fact is they are neurologically identical to hallucinatory experiences. Take that as you will.

As to Jesus and Thor, there is exactly the same amount of historical evidence for both.
There’s way more historical evidence for a person named Jesus than Thor. Mythicists are pseudo historians.

By you.

As I mentioned the stuff D&D takes from Mythology tends to be heavily altered. Triton one of your examples is not a deity in D&D but a species of fish people with legs.

Asmodeus likewise has very little in common with his depictions in demonology and other things.
No, but he’s effectively portrayed as Satan. So I wonder why they don’t just call him that. It’d be like having a Character called Moses who is 100% Jesus in every conceivable way.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On topic: the various tables of contents have seemed to indicate this setting and adventure are pretty much limited to Sigil and the Outlands. Do we think that's true? If so, is that sufficient? I personally am suddenly much less interested if "the multiverse" is a city and some wonky villages.
Nah, this is Planescape, not the Manual of the Planes. Fact is, the original Planescape box covered the same territory, literally.

This means they could do a MotP later, and people could mix and match this with that, instead of forcing them together.

Remove ads

Remove ads