D&D 5E Check Out Wild Beyond the Witchlight's Back Cover & Text

Wild Beyond the Witchlight now has a back cover, complete with product text! The adventure is for levels 1-8, and features a poster map.

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Once every eight years the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. It's owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there's more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and the dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight takes adventureres from the Witchlight Carnival to Prismeer, a Feywild domain of delight. This book comes with a poster map that shows the carnival on one side and the Prismeer on the other.

backcover.jpeg

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." is from Shakespeare's MacBeth. Bradbury was making a literary reference. The estate would be silly to say that nobody else can make that reference.
Lawyers regularly sue for less.

Davies

Legend
However, I have a hard time imagining that the realms of archfey such as the Prince of Frost or the Bramble Queen could be referred to as "delightful".
Consider that the being who's most supposed to dread one of the domains of dread is the being imprisoned at its core, then reconsider how the archfey who resides in these places regards them.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
They put out Dungeon of the Mad Mage years ago now. Based on what they've said, there is not much of a market for high level material, not just because most people only play up to mid-level, but most people who do play high level are DIYers who don't necessarily buy books (per Perkins).
One densely packed 5-20 level dungeon 18 or so months ago, isn't really a good barometer in my opinion. It's basically our only high level dungeon in seven years.

Also the amount of levels its made to cover limits it in my opinion, versus doing a more focused on say 17-20th or 15-18th. I don't think they know for sure and it's all speculative. Also you have to develop a market for it and promoted it.

Folks are DIY-ing it because there isn't much out there. That's always the way it's been dating back to my first experiences with DnD in 78'.(shrugs) Personally I've always taken any adventure module and used it for a baseline and then did my own thing with it, adding more, subtracting things that didn't work etc.

It would just be good to see how they deal with and design scenarios for dungeons of a high level and if needed corrected or added mechanics to support such play.

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." is from Shakespeare's MacBeth. Bradbury was making a literary reference. The estate would be silly to say that nobody else can make that reference.
I dont' think that's true—under US law, anyway.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have had to study copyright and IP law as part of my job, and as understand it, the Bradbury estate wouldn't have to claim ownership over the phrase. They would only have to claim that the use of the phrase is meant to increase WotC's profit (it's advertising copy) by way of association with Bradbury's work (this is self-evident) and had the potential to mislead consumers into believing the new book is a derivative work of the Bradbury one.

Think of it this way: I could make a movie about something with no relation to Bradbury's story and call it "Something Wicked This Way Comes"; no problem. Or I could make a movie about a spooky carnival, inspired by Bradbury's story but not so closely as to be a derivative work, and call it almost anything else, but I couldn't call it "Something Wicked This Way Comes"—nor could I use that phrase as the movie poster tagline.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I dont' think that's true—under US law, anyway.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have had to study copyright and IP law as part of my job, and as understand it, the Bradbury estate wouldn't have to claim ownership over the phrase. They would only have to claim that the use of the phrase is meant to increase WotC's profit (it's advertising copy) by way of association with Bradbury's work (this is self-evident) and had the potential to mislead consumers into believing the new book is a derivative work of the Bradbury one.

Think of it this way: I could make a movie about something with no relation to Bradbury's story and call it "Something Wicked This Way Comes"; no problem. Or I could make a movie about a spooky carnival, inspired by Bradbury's story but not so closely as to be a derivative work, and call it almost anything else, but I couldn't call it "Something Wicked This Way Comes"—nor could I use that phrase as the movie poster tagline.
They're not calling the adventure "Something Wicked This Way Comes," though. If they WERE, THEN Bradbury would have rights to sue over the copyright of using that as the name of a book. But they don't have legal protections against anyone using a phrase that Bradbury borrowed himself from Shakespeare. Just like Huxley couldn't sue them if their tag line was "O brave new world" - it's Shakespeare's line that Huxley used for his book title. Maybe if the Tag line was an ORIGINAL movie or book title then they couldn't use it, but because it's a line that's in the public domain, they can use it just fine.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One densely packed 5-20 level dungeon 18 or so months ago, isn't really a good barometer in my opinion. It's basically our only high level dungeon in seven years.

Also the amount of levels its made to cover limits it in my opinion, versus doing a more focused on say 17-20th or 15-18th. I don't think they know for sure and it's all speculative. Also you have to develop a market for it and promoted it.

Folks are DIY-ing it because there isn't much out there. That's always the way it's been dating back to my first experiences with DnD in 78'.(shrugs) Personally I've always taken any adventure module and used it for a baseline and then did my own thing with it, adding more, subtracting things that didn't work etc.

It would just be good to see how they deal with and design scenarios for dungeons of a high level and if needed corrected or added mechanics to support such play.
A number of assumptions in here, that stand contrary to what WotC has revealed about their intel.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Back on topic (why are y'all debating lawyers), I'm curious about these "Domains of Delight." It seems like an effort to make the Feywild and Shadowfel true symmetrical reflections of each other, so the Domains of Delight are reflections of the Domains of Dread.

Some questions I have;

• Do these Feywild Domains have a counterpart of Darklords, like a Bright Lord? Would they be Archfey, or something else?
  • Are there Dark Powers (or Bright Powers) in the Feywild?
  • Are Domains of Delight the opposite of Dread Domains, being carefree dreams of folks where people can leave when they choose? Or are they also dangerous, and people are mostly trapped when they enter?
  • Are there as many Domains of Delight as there are Domains of Dread (meaning, a lot)?
  • Are the Domains of Delight reflections of Domains of Dread, meaning there is a Fewild version of Barovia? Or are they unique places on their own?

I suspect that Domains of Delight are not truly mirrors of the Domains of Dread (ie there isn't a Feywild version of Barovia) however I do think it is possible they mimic some characteristics, like drawing in regions of the Material Plane and turning them into Domains of Delight. Whether they have Bright Lords, or some other characteristics to make them unique, I'd be very curious to learn! Prismeer sounds like the first of perhaps many.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases