Checking Interest - BESM d20 game?

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
i once created a gun bunny. A walking army surplus store from a race of rabbit like creatures with a caste society. He was fun. His name was Bommen (pronouced bombin'). He was dead when introduced to the campaign, and resurrected on the bridge of the new flagship he was contracted to serve on since his body had been taken from the previous flagship before a gravity anomaly created by the bad guys crushed the flagship (way before the restart of Star Trek came up with the idea)

Good times...good times. My character in an adventure here made her debut in a BESM d20 game, a school kids get blown through the fabric of time and space sort of campaign. She was a track team member (co-captain, never had won a race, but always finished 2nd, she had more silver than the franklin mint). Her two friends were a girl whose boyfriend was an amateur magician (she was his apprentice and assistant) and their friend was a cheerleader. Oh, the wasted Saturday's on OpenRPG.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Super powered characters in anime supported by white hats is not entirely a bad thing. Kurosaki Ichigo might be the most powerful of his friends, but they provide important moral support as well as some niche abilities that he simply doesn't have, like Kuchiki Rukia's ties to the Soul Society, Inoue Orihime's healing powers, or even something as simple as Kon's comedic relief. If you want to run a combat-oriented game, then yes, overpowered characters can overshadow the ones who are less-optimized. But if role-playing is a primary part of the expectation, then I see no reason to limit the power of characters. And if the GM decides a character is too powerful, he can always add a flaw, such as Kurosaki's Hollow side. Apologies to those who don't watch Bleach. Just thought I'd tie in a fairly well-known analogy.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Okay, so if I have read all of this right, we're looking at a light hearted, fun, 60's sci-fi serial kind of a thing. Right?

I guess that brings up the core question. System preference. BESM or M&M? Let the voting for those who are wanting to play commence.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Hi! I wouldn't mind seeing a mish-mash of weird alien tech and old B-Movie plots... not unlike Bioshock or Fallout but less "grim".

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Sorry late to answering this (somehow it got unsubscribed to).

I would vote a 60's feel but with a Farscape like cast. Someone plays the know-it-all robot, someone is the gung-ho alien from the squid planet, and someone is the lost Earth-Man caight in the middle. :D

For System I would say M&M as my system of choice.

Oh and for our nemesis I suggest something like... Karthena the Star Dragon Master and Empress of the Galaxy.

62cd7b26-d8d3-4d23-a649-7ad9bc4d4a31.jpg

The Star Dragon

HM

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Sorry late to answering this (somehow it got unsubscribed to).

I would vote a 60's feel but with a Farscape like cast. Someone plays the know-it-all robot, someone is the gung-ho alien from the squid planet, and someone is the lost Earth-Man caight in the middle. :D

For System I would say M&M as my system of choice.

Oh and for our nemesis I suggest something like... Karthena the Star Dragon Master and Empress of the Galaxy.

62cd7b26-d8d3-4d23-a649-7ad9bc4d4a31.jpg

The Star Dragon

HM

Why do I picture Princess Ardalla as so capably played in the 80's Buck Rogers, having the hots for either the Human or, if male, the one from the squid planet?

Okay...current tabulation: M&M: 1 BESMd20: 0. Any other players/potential GMs wanna add their voice?

Jemal

Adventurer
Fine with either M&M or BESM.. Playing a lot of M&M lately, but I do prefer it over BESM generally..
Dibs on the sex-crazed hottie. :p anime/sci-fi classic cliche.
hmm.. Xev from Lexx :p

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
So that'd make it M&M: 2 BESMd20: 0. Any other players/potential GMs want to wade into the discussion? We'll see where the tabulation lies at the end of this week.

drothgery

First Post
hmm... the socially clueless but hyper-competent in some narrow area guy (techie, mecha pilot, whatever), maybe?
/and a third vote for M&M, obviously (though presuming we go that way, preferences on DCA/M&M3 or M&M2?)

Remove ads