• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chillborn Zombie rules questions

lin_fusan

First Post
I ran into this rule disagreement last night with my DM about the extra damage that the Chillborn Zombie.

It has this Ice Reaper ability which deals extra 5 cold damage to an immobilized creature.

The question is when that 5 damage gets added. Is it:

a) added to its cold aura damage, so that an immobilized creature takes 10 cold damage?
b) added to its Slam attack?
c) or both?

Thanks for the help.

tmatk

Explorer
My guess is B, that's how I ran them last. That said, I don't see anything in the rules against C. I didn't even think of it; next time I may :devil:

FunkBGR

Explorer
I used them recently when running Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams (Dungeon #155). I took it to mean that their slam increases in damage. Since their aura stacks for damage, I thought it would be way too much damage piled on automatically. Just two of them would do 20 pts a round to an immobilized foe.

Rechan

Adventurer
I never thought of adding it to the aura, but I think that's a bit harsh. I did, however, add it to their death burst.

Soemthing to keep in mind, though: Chillborn only have Resist 10 Cold. So, if you have 3 with overlapping auras, that's 15 damage - the chillborn are going to take damage from one another's aura. So don't overlap too much.

Sirea

First Post
I'd only apply it to the Slam attack, for balance reasons and because the Slam attack is the only ability that refers to Ice Reaper ("see also ice reaper"). The aura nor Death Burst have that reference.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
The question is when that 5 damage gets added. Is it:

a) added to its cold aura damage, so that an immobilized creature takes 10 cold damage?
b) added to its Slam attack?
c) or both?

I would personally treat the ability as a "+10 bonus to damage rolls with cold attacks." I think that's the intent.

So, if you have 3 with overlapping auras, that's 15 damage - the chillborn are going to take damage from one another's aura. So don't overlap too much.

Auras don't stack.

lin_fusan

First Post
Do you mean +5 damage, WotC_Logan?

The Ice Reaper ability is odd in that it doesn't mention a kind of attack. Skirmishers' Combat Advantage abilities always mention bonus damage from melee attacks, for example.

Also, the Chillborn Zombie aura specifically says that their Auras stack with each other.

So when our DM claimed that our Warden automatically takes 20 points damage from two Auras and for being immobilized, I almost lost my cookies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Also, the Chillborn Zombie aura specifically says that their Auras stack with each other.
Yup, oddly enough. From the Compendium (emphasis mine):

Chillborn ZombieMedium natural animate (undead) Level 6 Soldier XP 250

Initiative +5 Senses Perception +3; darkvision
Chillborn Aura (Cold) aura 2; any creature that enters or begins its turn in the aura takes 5 cold damage. Multiple chillborn auras deal cumulative damage.
HP 71; Bloodied 35
AC 22; Fortitude 20, Reflex 16, Will 16
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 cold, 10 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 fire, 5 radiant
Speed 4

Slam (Standard, at-will) Cold

+11 vs Armor Class; 1d6+4 damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of the chillborn zombie’s next turn and takes ongoing 5 cold damage (save ends).

Death Burst (when reduced to 0 hit points) Cold

The chillborn zombie explodes: close burst 1; +9 vs Fortitude; 2d6+2 cold damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Ice Reaper Cold

The chillborn zombie deals +5 cold damage to an immobilized creature.

Alignment Unaligned Languages ---
Str 19 (+7) Dex 10 (+3) Wis 10 (+3)
Con 15 (+5) Int 2 (-1) Cha 6 (+1)

Remove ads