Level Up (A5E) Choose a page: Adventurer's Guide

Stalker0

Legend
Flash of Insight is interesting. It is a nerf compared to the divination wizard (who can two roll at the beginning of the day and use them on anyone, and the 30 foot range is a very serious limitation), but with the ability to use it consuming 1st level slots.....at some point any wizard is going to want to use that a lot. If quick step was actual teleportation sign me up, but I just don't see me taking it over the other options.

I think a lot of blaster wizards will like bend magic, but at the end of the day Flash of Insight is going to scale really really well.

Both Arcane Armor and Energy retention are AWESOME, like I keep going back and forth on which one I would want. In contrast I just can't see ever taking War Magic, I guess that's for the "simple wizard" who just doesn't want to track stuff too much, but I think the other two options are flat out superior.

And then superior talent, yeah me likely. That is some 10th level power, both abilities seem rock solid and would depend on how much I rely on concentration spells.

You bring up a good point. But when I re-read it, I noticed that it isn‘t limited to a single target, and I think that’s where most of its oomph is coming from (although it’s obviously also the way to get boosted cantrip damage).
Yep, you're totally right, I didn't think about it.
+3-4 damage is equivalent to an additional die of damage, i.e. a free upcasted version of fireball and similar spells. Not bad at all!

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I need to get a friend in a different time zone to get me one page from the middle of the Invocations section before Friday... Staying up until midnight isn't worth the page, regardless of how much I want more warlock teasers...

niklinna

satisfied?
Looks like a reblend of the good bits of the original subclasses. Still not a fan of the "choose one" silo approach to features; if I'm supposed to be getting more options, why can't I pick lower-level features when I'm higher level? It feels very artificial and confining.

Stalker0

Legend
The way perfect control is worded almost seems to imply the source of the damage, not the damage itself, needs to be higher than intelligence + Wizard level

Rules: “Only roll if the damage comes from a level 25 spell”

Mystra, goddess of magic: “HECKING WHAT”
If the sentence had just the word spell I could see your thought, but with the addition of attack or effect I can't see coming to any other conclusion than the damage amount itself.

Also important note that this is intelligence score, so probably a minimum of 10th level wizard +18 int = 28 threshold.

Stalker0

Legend
How does magic missile work with War magic if you split the 3 missiles among 3 targets? Do I just pick one target to get the int to damage bonus, or would I actually get the bonus on each target?

Xaielao

Explorer
For magic missile, yes it's just the first 'damage die rolled' so it'd be the first target you hit. However, for AoE spells you roll the damage and apply that to everyone. So if you'd have cast burning hands instead, you'd do 3d6 + Int mod to all targets. :)

These are great over all, and quite potent. I have player who loves playing wizards, he's going to squeal with delight when he see's the Level Up wizard + subclasses.

Remove ads