Level Up (A5E) Choose a page: Adventurer's Guide

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes, but do you agree that giving as part of a capstone feature something that another class (that is supposed to be NOT a master of maneuvers), can get at level 9 is seriously underwhelming for the fighter?
I think this could be saved if you were given the chance to change the maneuver at the end of a long rest. Rangers have a choice of one (out of two) that they can't change. If the fighter could change their signature maneuver every day, that would be really useful. "Oh, were entering the lair of Deathclaw the Lich tomorrow? Lemme specialize in Break Spell."

I think I'd houserule that in, even if it doesn't get changed.

No, because:

1) We still have no idea what manuever specialization does. That may be so cool that the other piece is practically a ribbon in comparison.
Exactly what I'm hoping for!
2) Considering the fighter's wealth of manuevers, there may be so insanely good combos by choosing other manuevers. Whirlwind and Volley Attack are very good, but they are limited in what circumstances make them useful.
Well, if you're in melee using whirlwind is pretty much always useful. Unless you need to save one attacks for a different maneuver.
Other manuevers I may want to spam much more heavily. Take for example the Adamant Mountain manuever that lets me heal.....I may now be able to heal to full all of the time....that's pretty sweet. We just don't know what all of the possibilities are.
That would be a neat possibility. But It means sacrificing one attacks for 1d6+6+con mod per round (not sure if the same maneuver can be used twice in a round). At those levels I'm not sure it's a meaningful healing if you still want to be on the front lines. If instead you use it off combat, it just means you're at max health 1 minute later. That could be cool, but also means sacrificing offensive power, and in general these kinds of auto-spam abilities can become annoying like guidance.

I think this could be saved if you were given the chance to change the maneuver at the end of a long rest. Rangers have a choice of one (out of two) that they can't change. If the fighter could change their signature maneuver every day, that would be really useful. "Oh, were entering the lair of Deathclaw the Lich tomorrow? Lemme specialize in Break Spell."
That would be cool and awesome. Choose 1 maneuver up to level 3, at level 20, also means that you literally have no more "respec" options unless the DM goes for epic levels.

Stalker0

Legend
Well, if you're in melee using whirlwind is pretty much always useful. Unless you need to save one attacks for a different maneuver.
Assuming Whirlwind hasn't changed since playtest, this is actually not true.

Whirlwind requires you to sacrifice your attacks that round to gain 1 attack against X number of opponents. So its great against mobs of weak enemies, but you sacrifice all of your focus damage to use it. So in many cases, its actually a loss..... most of the time I would much rather kill 1 enemy quickly than do a little damage to a number of enemies.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher

Whirlwind requires you to sacrifice your attacks that round to gain 1 attack against X number of opponents. So its great against mobs of weak enemies, but you sacrifice all of your focus damage to use it. So in many cases, its actually a loss..... most of the time I would much rather kill 1 enemy quickly than do a little damage to a number of enemies.
It's good for "cleaning up" after other AoE effects that your spellcasting buddy has dropped, though!

Stalker0

Legend
It's good for "cleaning up" after other AoE effects that your spellcasting buddy has dropped, though!
Oh sure, of course WW is a good manuever. My point though was its not an auto spam, something you want to do each and every attack. And as such, you can't quite compare that to a manuever the fighter may want to spam all day every day.

In case of a boss it may be useful to attack it twice instead of using WW, or maybe if there's a particularly strong enemy you want try to drop (and for some reason you think you have reasonable chances of doing so). Otherwise, WW just makes your potential overall damage higher than two attacks, and since it doesn't cost exertion it's probably going to be used very very often, more often than 2 separate attacks. Also, it's a separate attack roll against as many enemies as your proficiency score: more rolls, more possible crits. ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
39 it is. I'll post it when I wake up!
And here it is! Page 39!

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.59.36 AM.png

Remove ads