Chris Perkins' Io9 Interview: Art & A Bit Of Plot (Big Spoilers!)

So, I called it correctly, then...in some thread around here. The reason Lolth isn't being showcased as one of the rampaging demonlords/-ladies is the whole thing is a Lolth scheme. Way to give away the punchline there, Mr. Perkins. But always nice to be validated. :) EDIT: I mean, not really giving it away by much. It drops tomorrow so the boards will be ablaze with spoilers from then on.

So, I called it correctly, then...in some thread around here. The reason Lolth isn't being showcased as one of the rampaging demonlords/-ladies is the whole thing is a Lolth scheme. Way to give away the punchline there, Mr. Perkins. But always nice to be validated. :)

EDIT: I mean, not really giving it away by much. It drops tomorrow so the boards will be ablaze with spoilers from then on.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"...because the only thing scarier than a mob of mind flayers is a mob of undead mind flayers."

Why? Now they REALLY want to eat your brain? An undead mind flayer is just a better target for clerics and paladins.

Before, Mind Flayers were thinking beings. Evil, corrupt thinking beings, but thinking beings. You could persuade them, intimidate them, or deceive them, into not attacking or working towards your goals.

Now, as undead, you pretty much have to fight them - they have an unwavering loyalty to a deity of death and are killing machines that want you dead. And they will likely be immune to being charmed, exhausted, or poisoned. Telepathic, psionic-using, levitating, thought detecting, plane shifting, and monster dominating undead who are immune to the things undead are immune to.

It's kinda terrifying. Sure, the Cleric can turn them temporarily maybe...but they will be back. The Underdark is going to be a lonely, dark place when the radiant damage runs low.

dalisprime

Explorer
Are demonweb pits back in the abyss? Cause if so that would make a great deal of sense for Lolth to be okay with other demon princes being relocated elsewhere. Major layers of the plane ripe for the talking.

Uchawi

First Post
The mind flayers being undead changes the dynamic of the creature. Instead of consuming brains to gather latent psionic energy, I believe they would be more interested into creating more undead creatures. I am not sure what type of undead functions without a brain. Maybe a zombie. But I have a bias, I am not a big Orcus fan.

I guess we may see an undead version of an Intellect Devourer,

WackyAnne

First Post
Wizards Play Network stores would be what they are referring to when they say "preferred". They have business agreements with WotC directly, I believe, and sell a certain volume of product (Magic, D&D, and whatever else) to qualify for different degrees of benefits. For instance, all stores would get Encounters, but you have to be the next level up to get Expeditions as well. (No doubt there are more extensive benefits for MtG participation/sales, as that is a heck of a lot more lucrative for both stores & WotC)

Zarithar

Adventurer
The thought of Demogorgon rampaging through Menzoberranzan (sp?) makes me almost as happy as purple unicorns gliding through cloud castles. I am excited about this!

graves3141

First Post
Interesting article, the concept art is really good and I admit that parts of this adventure sound appealing.

However, derro that love pancakes? I had to re-read that three times before I realized I wasn't seeing it wrong. There are ways to make NPCs interesting without straying into silly territory like that. For me, that takes away too much from how I think about the Underdark and its denizens. I just hope there aren't mind flayers that love biscuits and gravy as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads